Author Topic: Vue crazy rain data  (Read 871 times)

Offline caiolentulo

Vue crazy rain data
« on: January 27, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »
Hi all, i'm writing from Rome-Italy I have been reading this forum for some time but this is my first post.
My Vue (4yrs old) has randomly started sending false rain data, like 50inches with a rr of 20inches/hr. I opened and cleaned it thoroughly although it looked good and replace the battery (the green led under the iss did not blink though) but it did not solve the issue.
What drives me crazy is the randomness, twice in September, once in October and one more time early December, since then its been working again and fine.
Anybody got a similar problem?
thank you
Ciao

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
Re: Vue crazy rain data
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 02:54:53 PM »
(the green led under the iss did not blink though)
I believe that the led will only blink if you switch the number 4 dip switch to on, as on the Vantage Pro, and it should normally be off.  But it appears you are getting a signal as I assume everything works except the occasional rain issue, so it shouldn't matter.

What drives me crazy is the randomness, twice in September, once in October and one more time early December, since then its been working again and fine.
The original Vantage Pro would occasionally show similar symptoms when there would be some moisture in the rain bucket and then the temperature would drop to freezing. Apparently ice would somehow mess with the tipping mechanism or reed switch.  As far as I know that problem was pretty much solved with the VP2 and Vue.  Just in case, have you had unusually cool weather there?  (At least I'm guessing that freezing temperatures in September, at least, would be unusual there?)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 04:56:54 PM »
(the green led under the iss did not blink though)
I believe that the led will only blink if you switch the number 4 dip switch to on, as on the Vantage Pro, and it should normally be off.  But it appears you are getting a signal as I assume everything works except the occasional rain issue, so it shouldn't matter.

The VUE does not have any dip switches and the LED is only for setting/counting out the TX ID. It does not blink during normal operation

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 04:59:18 PM »
....What drives me crazy is the randomness, twice in September, once in October and one more time early December, since then its been working again and fine.

Is this during actual rain or not? Do you have the fitting in the bottom of the rain collector? How are you off for small frogs, lizards etc in the area?