Author Topic: Replacement for Acurite Pro weather Station  (Read 1083 times)

Offline MarcJ

Replacement for Acurite Pro weather Station
« on: December 14, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
I dont know how many people bought the Acurite smarthub just before they announced they were discontinuing it, and shutting it down, but I found a very good replacement for it.   I bought my dumbhub in January 18 after saving money for it for 6 months. (On a limited budget).  I had multiple problems with it, had one replaced, had to send 2nd one back for "evaluation", and still it didnt work.  Needless to say, I was very dissatisfied.  I JUST purchased a new station after much research, and saving money again, and received it this week.  Now I have only had it a few days, so far, BUT it works SO much better than the Acurite EVER did, and was no more expensive.  The hub receives all my sensors, right from the start, and has NEVER dropped communication once,  I was able to move the receiver back where I really WANTED it in the first place, but was unable to put it since the DUMBHUB was so poor quality.  Wondering what I got?  Well I will tell you now after all my rambling.  It is an Ambient weather WS-1401-IP.  $109.00 plus shipping/handling from Arizona.  It allows you to correct readings with an offset by just adjusting an offset for each value by going into the receiver by computer.  It setup in only minutes, and so far is very accurate!  I know it is not a professional station, but on my budget, it is all I can afford, and it is FAR SUPERIOR to the Acurite junk that I had before.  I just wanted to let anyone who is as dissatisfied as I was with Acurite, There are much better alternatives out there.  Good Luck, and I hope you didn't waste your money on their replacement piece of junk for the DUMBHUB!  I didn't, and I am MUCH happier with this.  FYI

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Replacement for Acurite Pro weather Station
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 05:01:10 PM »
Nice and thanks for sharing. But for the same money I would have recommended the new WS-1550-IP (with WH32B sensor) which in function is identical to the WS-1400-IP and uses the newer outdoor sensor array and uses the same indoor ObserverIP receiver. I really can't understand why Ambient keeps selling their older generation hardware. They should only do so for replacement parts. I think it confuses the buyer to have so many options, as most people unless they do the research aren't going to know that the WS-1550-IP is the newer version of the WS-1400-IP.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »
I really can't understand why Ambient keeps selling their older generation hardware.
Simple, people keep buying them.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 11:09:57 AM »
Again, please stop with the silly "dumbhub" talk.  It isn't funny, and made it hard to make any sense of the OP.

Offline kinwolf

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 02:06:57 PM »
Again, please stop with the silly "dumbhub" talk.  It isn't funny, and made it hard to make any sense of the OP.

I didn't have any problem understanding the OP.  You are right that it isn't funny though, for those that got screwed that is.

OP, thanks for the alternative.  I just received the final email from Acurite about them shutting down the hub on Feb 28th and was looking for alternatives as I too decided not to give them a single $ anymore(bought the hub directly from them in Dec 2017 and received their EOL email soon after...). 

The final insult from Acurite?  In their last email, offering a 20% discount on the Acurite Access for hub owner who still didn't make the switch,  when there was a promo on their website that actually gave a better discount at 25%(ended on valentine day)

anything