Author Topic: Eastern NC Davis Vantage Pro 2  (Read 6818 times)

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
Eastern NC Davis Vantage Pro 2
« on: December 13, 2014, 04:07:12 PM »
This is obviously still in process, but I want to log the entire process.

I have a lightly used Davis Vantage Pro 2 on the way as well as a datalogger from belfryboy and a WLAN router for use with meteobridge.

The first portion of the system I have in place is the mounting pole.
I used a 10' piece of electrical conduit mounted to one of my non-operational chimneys.
Although there are trees that tower over it from the north, I believe i found a good spot with a gap to allow mostly unobstructed wind readings.

I have ensured the post is level from all directions at both the top and the bottom.
The last picture is from the back lot and the fence is 5' high for reference.

I only plan on having this setup for a few years until I either repair the chimneys for use and/or add a tower in the back lot for my antennas and weather station components.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:18:34 PM by KM4FFB »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Eastern NC Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »
Can't wait to compare your station to some of the others around Goldsboro. Are you going to put the thermometer / rain gauge down on the ground?

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 06:50:30 PM »
Can't wait to compare your station to some of the others around Goldsboro. Are you going to put the thermometer / rain gauge down on the ground?

You're Telling ME! I can't either.

I haven't decided where I want to put it, so I put the other pictures up to see what suggestions may come about. I don't trust anyone in my neighborhood to not mess with it if I put it on the fence.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 11:24:43 AM »
Rain gauges and temp sensors should be 4 to 6 ft off of grass and not under trees or near buildings. You want sunshine on the sensor as much as possible, so that you know the rain gauge is not being sheltered from winds in the direction of the tree, or the sensor not able to get proper ventilation at night and reading too warm because the tree acts as a blanket.

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 11:49:46 AM »
Rain gauges and temp sensors should be 4 to 6 ft off of grass and not under trees or near buildings. You want sunshine on the sensor as much as possible, so that you know the rain gauge is not being sheltered from winds in the direction of the tree, or the sensor not able to get proper ventilation at night and reading too warm because the tree acts as a blanket.
Do you recommend somewhere on the fence then? I worry a little of people messing with it, but I guess that could happen anywhere. They would have to cross my entire lot back there to mess with it and I have a camera facing that way.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 11:54:26 AM »
From the pics you posted, I would say in the area of the fence, in the middle section of it where the sun is shining seems to be the best location. (if that is all the property available)

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »
This is the space I have to use.  The front yard is too shaded.the empty lot is mine as well,  but I have no second fence between the street and the fence.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 12:10:05 PM »
It should work fine there. If you do live in an area with thieves or kids who like to mess with peoples things, lurking around, the roof would be the only place you could go with it, but cleaning the rain gauge would be much more difficult.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »
It should work fine there. If you do live in an area with thieves or kids who like to mess with peoples things, lurking around, the roof would be the only place you could go with it, but cleaning the rain gauge would be much more difficult.
Of course the anemometer can be connected to a anemometer transmitter and the rest of the ISS be placed 5' AGL.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 02:21:56 PM »
Of course the anemometer can be connected to a anemometer transmitter and the rest of the ISS be placed 5' AGL.

I think he is going to put the anemometer on the roof, and the rest on the ground? Doesn't the Davis come with that option? I thought the Vantage Pro 2 was flexible?

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 02:29:21 PM »
Well, since I don't yet have the anemometer transmitter so I will have to wire the unit to the main transmitter. I did not make this designation until now, when I verified the unit I purchased did not come with it. I thought it was a standard for the VP2, but it appears I was wrong.

So, for now, I will have to mount the unit on the roof until I get the transmitter kit. I will probably put a pole extending out away from the roof to keep it away from any reflected heat of the flat back roof. Or I can co-locate it with the anemometer on the chimney. I just worry about temperature differences that high and close to the brick.

I can also put it at the roof access on a short pole. It can get power and easy access for cleaning
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:36:49 PM by KM4FFB »

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »
I just worry about temperature differences that high and close to the brick.

What about the HEAT when the fireplace(s) are in operation? Vertical heat up-draft could really *alter* the measured wind speed & direction readings.

In my first post I stated that my fireplaces are not operational, so I thought this was a pretty good place to put it. It will be several years before I fix those into operation. And maybe at that time I will have put up a tower for antennas as well.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:46:35 PM by KM4FFB »

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 03:48:20 PM »
I decided to just mount both on the pole. I will mount the main unit just above the top of the chimney to attempt to avoid radiated heat and rain splashing. The anemometer will be at the top of the pole. I installed guy wires, mostly for leveling. I don't think I will need another wire on the front end because of the weight of the VP2 on that side of the pole.

Ugly crimping, but it holds tight!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »
You should get some good wind readings up there. The standard is 32 feet off the ground for anemometers. You should be well in that range.

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 12:58:17 PM »
The VP2 finally arrived. A little disappointed that the previous owner took absolutely no care to clean it in the 4 years it was in service. I guess that's the risk you take when you purchase online. Also, the wind direction doesn't work (but that was previously disclosed). You either save money, or get exactly what you want; can't always have both.

Spent a whopping 20 minutes cleaning it and it looks brand new. Only problems I have found are that the Nebraska weather really put a beating on the ISS housing and the solar panel. Nothing a little time and money cant fix.

I plan on either getting or making the test cable for the anemometer to see if its the ISS or if its the anemometer. The previous owner stated that there was a storm that may have had lightning and after that the wind direction no longer worked. There are no signs of lighting strike and no signs of cable breakage. I don't have a way to test the cable's continuity without poking holes in it as far as I can figure out... but I do recall seeing a thread on here talking about sending power to one of the legs and seeing if the voltage changes on another leg when the wind vane is turned.

Now I'm just waiting for my datalogger from BelFryBoy

Mounting the anemometer.

Everything mounted. I plan on protecting the anemometer cable from weather on the portions that are outside of the pole.

And the condition of the ISS.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:02:46 PM by KM4FFB »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »
I would contact Davis and tell them you are having problems with your anemometer. They will probably offer to send you their test cable. It doesn't cost you anything. You can make your own but unless you are in a big hurry, I'd just call Davis and let them send you one.

Unless I missed it in your posts, you didn't say what the symptoms were with your wind direction. Does it always show a wind direction of North? If so, that is a normal indication of an open line somewhere between the anemometer assembly and the ISS itself. The cable is just a standard four-conductor phone cable with an RJ11 connector on the one end. The other end is hard-wired internally and not easy to replace without damaging the other components.

Good luck with your restoration of the old VP2.

73's  :-)
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 01:30:55 PM »
As if this weather wasn't dreary enough,  I think my ISS shorted out due to water being blown in through the bottom cable port. When I received it it did not have the foam insert so I guess it's my fault for not putting something in there. It also looked like it leaked in from around the solar panel in the front cover.

I guess I was going to have to replace the PCBA to fix the anemometer issue anyway...

I took the battery out right away and brought the unit inside and took the board out and blew it off.  Its sitting in a warm spot drying just in case.

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 12:23:46 AM »
Everything is up and running. After a few fixes and networking issues I have everything broadcasting as it should.

Im having trouble logging back into the Meteobridge to add more weather services into the reporting, but after getting into the DD-Wrt programming I was able to make the WLAN work like it should.

Now im just waiting to hear back from Davis about the test cable for the anemometer to see where the issue is for the wind direction. I  tested the cables like I said and found no issues there.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 03:20:10 PM »
Looks like everything is good but the wind.  :-)

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »
Looks like everything is good but the wind.  :-)
Yessir! Im a happy camper. Only problem is that I can't get the WLAN to work all the way. I cant log on to the router when using it in WLAN mode but when its wired I have full access.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 08:47:14 PM »
Are you sending to CWOP? I have seen Wilmington TV stations that have used my stations temperature. The FOX and NBC affiliates. Also channel 9 out of Greenville I believe has had mine show up on their radar map. I don't know of any other media that has picked it up yet.

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 10:52:04 PM »
Yep. CWOP is getting my data, and I actually think the interface they have is cool.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 05:23:32 PM »
Where did your station go?

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 06:54:30 PM »
It's back.  I think I have Internet issues.  It only happens when I go out of town though,  of course.

Also,  just got  the test cable for my anemometer from Davis.  Going to find out what the issue is once and for all.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 08:01:39 PM »
I think sometimes when there are hiccups with an internet provider, it causes the meteobridge or the router to need a reboot. It has happened a few times to me, and of course like you said, one time I was a long way out of town. 

anything