Author Topic: Upper Midwest Snow storm Dec 10-12  (Read 17521 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Re: Upper Midwest Snow storm Dec 10-12
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »
How's the airport look for the Giants?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2010, 09:45:49 PM »
   We are having rain from this storm system and I am getting real nervous.  As this map shows the 5400 meter line (pink) is right over me in NW Ohio.  This line usually divides precip into rain and snow.  Under 5400...snow.  Over 5400...rain.  On the line or near it....headaches! ](*,) #-o

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2010, 09:54:54 PM »
How's the airport look for the Giants?

One runway is open now. I would think both should be by morning.
Closing MSP is a big deal. It does not happen often.
My father-in-law flies in from Palm Springs tomorrow night. What fun going there!

The snow quit here around 6pm. Tomorrow will be cold but normal for the roads.

At least they did not have to land in Des Moines.

Speaking of Iowa-called my dad in NW Iowa.  They had 40 mph winds.  Some places had 50-65  mph gusts and snow.
True blizzard.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2010, 09:57:09 PM »
Thanks for the update.

That's some brutal weather you folks are having. Stay safe!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2010, 10:29:47 PM »
The Vikings game against the New York Giants at Mall of America Field has been moved to Monday night because of the blizzard that hit the Twin Cities on Saturday.

The decision was made by NFL executives on Saturday night after they initially said they planned to have the game remain a noon kickoff. The Giants' plane was diverted to Kansas City on Saturday afternoon because of the storm and the team had to spend the night there. The original plan was for the Giants to fly to Minneapolis early Sunday.

However, one of the main issues Saturday became the Metrodome roof and all the snow that had accumulated on it during the storm.

"Due to the severe weather conditions and on the recommendation of Metrodome officials, the Giants-Vikings game will be moved to Monday night," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail. "The kickoff time at the Metrodome and television arrangements will be announced as soon as they are determined."

And, yes, this all means Brett Favre's sprained SC joint now gets another day of rest.

As for the kickoff time, early indications (this is not official) are that it likely will start at 7 p.m.

Info:

November 19, 1981 Metrodome roof deflated because of a tear caused by heavy snow.

December 30, 1982 Metrodome roof deflated because of a tear caused by heavy snow.

April 14, 1982 Metrodome roof deflated because of a tear caused by heavy snow and the scheduled Twin's game with California was postponed. It is the only postponement in Metrodome history.

April 26, 1986 Metrodome roof suffered slight tear because of high winds, causing a nine-minute delay in the bottom of the seventh inning vs. California.

Like it matters if they play.  Vikes are out of playoff contention and are in draft mode.
Conspiracy theory: NFL delays game to give Favre another day of rest to extend his streak.

GO CHIEFS!!!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 10:41:14 PM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2010, 11:35:44 PM »
This will be a good one to wach out for. Rain is entering NE Ohio now. On my weather station graph for today you can tell when low pressure started to creep into the region: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KOHMOREL1

Wonder how bad it will be? All hands on deck.  :!:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 11:38:53 PM by DJMWX86 »
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS
WX Station: Davis VP2 6152 (Wireless)
WX OS: VWS 15.00
VWSaprs: v. 2.0.2.0.

[

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 12:23:31 AM »
rain here a good part of the day, just started snowing around 9:30 pm and starting to stick.  Looks like we missed out on any real accumulation.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 01:43:44 AM »
Like it matters if they play.  Vikes are out of playoff contention and are in draft mode.
Conspiracy theory: NFL delays game to give Favre another day of rest to extend his streak.

I just caught this news - thanks again for the update.

My GIANTS need the win and there is still the matter of that 44-7 game last JAN to clear up...

Favre doesn't need the NFL - the coach would just put him in for a series and take three knees. He's going to quit when he hits 300 anyway.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2010, 04:10:38 AM »
It's a no-fly zone for now

For the first time in years, a snowstorm has completely shut down Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.

All four of the airport's runways were closed about 11:30 a.m. and were expected to remain that way until mid-afternoon, said airport spokesman Patrick Hogan.

Although plowing crews were staying ahead of the snowfall on the runways, taxiways from the terminal to the runways were too clogged with snow for planes to navigate, he said.

Shoulda' called in Patroni   

Joe Patroni: Okay. But you keep those dinky toys out of my hair and away from this plane for 15 minutes, maybe less. I'll DRIVE it out.

Joe Patroni: I can't hear a thing. There's too much noise. Hold on. We're GOIN FOR BROKE!

Joe Patroni: They don't call them emergencies anymore. They call them Patronis.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065377/quotes

Offline Spartan300

• Weather Warrior
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2010, 08:14:05 AM »
Yea, you're going to get some without a doubt. I wish we were getting what you are! Exactly where are you in TN?

Van Buren Co. near Fall Creek Falls...out in the sticks!!
Weather Warrior

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »
One Airport movie was filmed at MSP.

THIS JUST IN:

Pictures of Metrodome
http://www.kare11.com/default.aspx

MINNEAPOLIS - The Minneapolis Metrodome, where the Minnesota Vikings play, has collapsed during a snowstorm.

The Metrodome is operated by the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission. Its executive director, Bill Lester, said Sunday morning the damage is being assessed and the agency will issue a statement later. He says he has no details yet on what happened.

Minneapolis and much of the upper Midwest have been hit by a blizzard that has dumped up to 20 inches of snow in some areas.

The Vikings' Sunday NFL football game against the New York Giants had already been pushed to Monday. It is not clear what will happen to the schedule now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:15:31 AM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline tbern

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 09:27:53 AM »
play the game at the gophers new stadium,  outdoors like it should be! vikings football was much better before the dome.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 12:52:21 PM »
Game moved to Detroit Monday night.

Prob because Giants were not prepared for an outdoor game either in TCF or Kansas City.

So far, there have been only one fatality for this storm-the Metrodome.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2010, 01:15:28 PM »
General Snow just started here Barberton, Akron, Portage Lakes Ohio about half hour ago 1:13pm Eastern time. Wonder what time the lake effect will kick in.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2010, 01:24:03 PM »
Pix of the metrodome inside and out.
http://www.startribune.com/?elr=KArksi8cyaiUz33Dii_9PmP:Qi_17cQiU47cQUz33Dii_9PmP:Qi_:E5U

Just saw on tv.

Fox sports had cameras in the dome as it collapsed.  Really cool

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/snow-collapses-metrodome%2C-vikings-postponed-dec-12-2010

Vikes wanted to move to TCF-gopher stadium.  But U of M said it was closed for the season and could not be reopend in time for Sunday's game.  Next weeks game is an issue too. Probably won't be repaired in time. They are deciding what to do for that game too.

There are not many outdoor stadiums that can be ready for an outdoor game in a week, when they have been closed for two weeks.

Look at the satellite map. You can see the white stuff not move-snow. The stuff that moves are clouds.

Also, look at a snow cover map, it is very different from yesterday

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:37:18 PM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2010, 01:27:33 PM »
we had a lot of wind in town here. I measured 2 inches, but the airport had 4.4, big town.  it can rain on one side and be nice on the other..

Little drifts but I hear out in the country that is where snow moves and piles up, it was bad.   Just dang cold now and going to be cold tomorrow when my butt hits those leather seats.  I guess I should go out and turn the switch on the bun warmer . I have remote start so it should be bearable in 20 min.  Did clear off the vehicles in the drive. Nice neighbor lady did my front walk and one drive with her snow blower.  makes me feel ancient  but appreciative. she and her roomie are sure nice to us old farts.

Supposed to have been worse the way it was fore cast for this part of the state,  I am not complaining. :???:

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2010, 01:34:35 PM »
Thats funny , they need to put trusses in the dome.  :lol:
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2010, 01:39:38 PM »

MINNEAPOLIS - The Minneapolis Metrodome, where the Minnesota Vikings play, has collapsed during a snowstorm.

That's some amazing video of that roof coming down! Glad it happened overnite, FWIW.

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »
I'm sure they'll just put more Band-Aids on it and in a few years, this will happen yet again.

Calling the Metrodome a dome is like pitching a tent and calling it a house.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2010, 02:04:05 PM »

Pix of the metrodome inside and out.

Thanks for the link chief-david.  Kind of scarry had someone, or a stadium full of fans, were inside!!  We visted there some years for Twins games, but that was not wintertime...  We were also in the Silverdome a few years ago when the Lions still played there and there was quite a bit of snow and wondered then how it stands up to that accumulation.

Paul

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »
So now there is not a cloud in the sky.  It is just cold.

I have the driveway cleaned off and the streets are cleared. Even though the wind chill is below zero, it was not too bad outside.

I am inside watching football and staying warm.  Chiefs on at 3pm  central GO CHIEFS!!!

This was the most snow we have had in at least 15 years. 

The dome has been under review for many years.  The only teams left are the Vikes and Gopher Baseball (gophers baseball stadium was condemned)  They are looking at sites-but I believe the downtown site is now the best place. The Twins and T-wolves and Vikes would have stadiums within 6 blocks of each other  All parking and restaurants are privately owned so liability goes to some one else.  Maybe this is the way to a new facility.  I am already paying for a new twins stadium, I will have to play for the Vikes too. (That is another forum)

I wonder if you could take off the roof, add lights, speakers and run the place. Have to add heaters to the bathrooms.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2010, 02:28:25 PM »
General Snow just started here Barberton, Akron, Portage Lakes Ohio about half hour ago 1:13pm Eastern time. Wonder what time the lake effect will kick in.

Off topic, but Barberton was featured on Food Feuds on the Food Network last night.   =D&gt;
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2010, 02:34:13 PM »
That Winter Warning is running from Michigan to Miami!

I love the Southwest Deserts...

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2010, 03:25:37 PM »
We were supposed to get a little bit of rain 2-4mm, mixed precip then 15-20cm's fo snow

poured rain this morn, almost half inch, few big flakeds around noon, back to sleet/rain... doh, so much for guaranteed white xmas.... the rain decimated the few cm's we had left from last weeks snow.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2010, 03:51:40 PM »
Niagara is under a flash freeze warning!
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

anything