Author Topic: Fine Offset UV/Solar pod  (Read 801 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Fine Offset UV/Solar pod
« on: September 24, 2018, 09:25:28 AM »
I need a new solar pod. Florence seems to have killed mine. Where can I buy one? The only one I have found does not have the solar and light sensors, just the battery charging panel.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Fine Offset UV/Solar pod
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 10:45:13 AM »
You didn't specify which type of Fine Offset clone you have. There are several types. At least 6 types I can think of that are totally different. So let us know your exact model. Doesn't have the be the Fine Offset model you give us....you can give us the re-branded manufacture's model you have from Tycon, Ecowitt, Misol, Froggit..etc. Don't just say WH series or even WH2000 series because that is too generic and could be different things.

But regardless which you have it may be cheaper (or the only option really) to replace the entire outdoor array. But if your station hardware is of a much older type then you might want to replace them both (whole new station hardware). The newer WS-2902A or WS-2000 or WS-1550 are a big improvement if you were still using anything prior to these new models. (I don't recommend the Falcon WS-8478 though). These things are so cheap that they are disposable when they break pretty much. Unless you just need a new wind vane or anemometer cups.

If you own parts like an ObserverIP it would be compatible with the WS-2902A and the WS-2000 so you can continue to use it if you also had a WeatherBridge or Meteobridge. Then you could get just the outdoor module for the WS-2902A (it's compatible with the ObserverIP) for around $54 plus tax + shipping (add the screen for the WS-2902A or WS-2000 later).

You can get replacement parts (entire parts not sensors) directly from Ambient Weather (but they do sell wind vanes and cups for example separately):
https://www.ambientweather.com/westrepabyam.html

Some of the big improvements if you were to consider upgrading (if you had an older model) are; better wind direction detection and steadiness (less randomness), 360 steps for each degree - for more accuracy, better wind at lower speeds of less than 1 mph, more accurate rain gauge, better temperature and humidity sensor SHT30, comes with super capacitor instead of needing rechargeable batteries, plus it looks much nicer I think.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:51:38 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »
Thanks Galfert.

Here is the station... It is a Tycon TP2700WC/Excelvan WH2310

https://www.balticnetworks.com/tycon-wireless-proweatherstation-data-logging-wireless-weather-station.html

https://www.amazon.com/Excelvan-Professional-Wireless-Internet-Temperature/dp/B01E36FXJ4/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AA5VPRABDGVGA59S5FQ2

I would rather not replace the whole thing. Before I would do that, I might just buy something else, but I don't want an "all in one". If I could send data to CWOP from my Acurite Atlas, I would not even bother getting a part.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 03:51:15 PM »
Well I think your chances don't look good. Ambient Weather never sold the UV/Solar models of that early generation weather station. You could try your luck contacting Tycon, but they don't list it as a part on their website. You may try your luck on eBay for a used station that maybe you can salvage a part from....but I don't see any there like yours at this time.

Good news is that if you have an Acurite Atlas I've spoken with Acuparse developer and pretty soon getting data from the Access with an Atlas should be no problem. It is just a matter of finding out how the data is sent and parsing it and something to do with an identifier that I didn't quiet get. I think the Atlas is just too new and it is only a matter of short time for this to get figured out.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:53:01 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 04:06:19 PM »
I'll just wait a bit. I may try the soldering iron on the solar board too. I am hopeful the meteobridge will begin to support Atlas as well, or that myacurite will offer more upload options also.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 02:47:22 PM »
I tried the soldering iron. I got nothing... The red light comes on and goes off in the pod, however just dashes on the console still.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 04:42:16 PM »
I sent you a PM with link to buy replacement Solar / UV sensor.  $37 includes shipping.

Update: Forget the first PM that included the transmitter. The second PM has just the solar / UV sensor. For just under $20 includes shipping.

Update 2: Turns out DoctorKnow has informed me that the model I found did not include the Solar/UV sensor and was just the solar panel for power to run the unit.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 05:57:39 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole