Author Topic: Meteobridge Lost Davis WL Logger Data after Power Outage **solved**  (Read 2142 times)

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
As the subject suggests, my Meteobridge stopped receiving WL USB Logger data after a power outage. This was a brief, non-thunderstorm related outage (i.e. no power surge, lightning, etc.). It was out for about 3 secs. or so, just enough to cause the router and meteobridge to lose power (the Davis Vue console is battery on back up). Upon power restoration, the meteobridge was no longer receiving data from the logger and therefore stopped transmitting data to WU and CWOP. After restarting the meteobridge several times and restarting the console and unplugging the logger a few times, still no data. So we hooked up the logger to the WL software and it says it's connected but not receiving data. Also, we checked and made sure that the meteobridge is connected to the router via the router software and it was.

So the question is why is no data coming out of the logger after a brief power outage which shouldn't affect the logger at all in the first place? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:28:09 PM by docbee »
-Alex

Davis 6153 VP2 with 24-hour FARS/
Davis 6250 Vantage Vue
WU: KNJMOUNT68/KSCGREER81
CWOP: FW5135/EW6390
www.uah-mcthornmoracres-weather.com

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Meteobridge Lost Davis WL Logger Data after Power Outage
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:17:06 PM »
I also had a problem with MB couple of times during power outage, but usually it was a problem of just MB not being able to reconnect to the modem. Are you able to access your MB control panel? Do you see any data in the Live tab? I would also try removing batteries from the logger and also leaving the router without power for a few seconds. Sometimes it helps to restart everything and I also discovered that sometimes the order of how you start and plug-in things matters. Maybe try experimenting with this, for example try starting your MB without the logger and then plug in, then the other way around etc.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:56:08 PM »
You asking if the logger logs data while not connected to an Internet device?  AFAIK the logging function is not used when hooked to MB.  BICBW
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 11:20:40 PM »
No, I'm asking why MB is not receiving or transmitting data.
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:40:06 PM »
Have you logged into it?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 12:06:34 AM »
Yes, it says it's connected, but not receiving data
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 12:12:15 AM »
Try another intermediate USB hub in the chain.

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 12:16:00 AM »
What do you mean by that?
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 12:28:44 AM »
You are supposed to use a USB 2.0 hub between the logger and the MB router.

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 03:10:15 AM »
It has worked flawlessly for 6 months without one. We connected the logger directly to the computer and the WL software was connected to it, but unable to pull any data from it.
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 03:12:16 AM »
This may not be a WB problem, but the power outage should have absolutely no effect on the logger itself or its operation. Could the MB have damaged the logger somehow?
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 09:33:19 AM »
Maybe it was more than a simple power outage.  A spike, etc. can sometimes damage one component but not others.  I would try to run the whole thing on Weatherlink alone and that would mean the logger is working.  Then look at MB.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 04:42:47 PM »
Users have problems with their Weather Link IP devices, when they don't assign those a fixed, MAC-based IP address within their router. When you don't do that, the WLIP will get a random IP in your LAN during initial connect. When a power outage occurs and everything ramps up again, the WLIP will again get a random IP from the DHCP IP pool of the router, but this is probably a different one. While changing the IP in your LAN is not affecting the WLIP in its own operation (it can still reach out to the Internet) it makes it unreachable for other programs (like the Meteobridge), as those have no clue what the new IP of the WLIP will look like.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 04:58:26 PM »
This is not an IP logger, it's a USB logger.
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 05:01:21 PM »
And our local power substation often switches a transmission line when hot weather is expected to redirect more power where needed. Since the weather has been hot in SC the past few days, they switched lines and we had a brief outage, not surge, spike, lull or anything else, just off and right back on. It happens every few weeks in the summer and this is the first summer we have had the station.
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 03:48:22 PM »
Update: The logger is working properly. We tried connecting the logger directly to the computer again. We got data to flow with both the WL software and with Cumulus. So now that narrows the problem down to the MB. When FTPing into the MB, all the settings are normal and it is connected to the router. However, it says Data Logger Failure. So my only thinking now is that somehow the USB port on the MB went bad. Attached is the error message screen. We have re-flashed the MB with the latest version and had no change on the issue. (the picture was taken before we re-entered all the weather network configurations)
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 03:57:38 PM »
Stuff happens.  I've had one device die due brown out/outage etc. and all the others are fine.  Who knows.  Good thing teh boxes are cheap!  Thanks for reporting back.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 05:25:43 PM »
can you please post a screen dump of messages section on meteobridge "system" tab?
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 05:20:52 PM »
As it turns out, we never actually purchased the MB license. We purchased the license and now all is well!
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

anything