Author Topic: CWOP Down?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
CWOP Down?
« on: September 26, 2018, 09:07:04 AM »
I try to load my CWOP page but get an error message every time I try to load it...
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS) Server at www.findu.com Port 80

My Station ID is EW4941. Is anybody else seeing this issue?
   - Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: CWOP Down?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 09:17:44 AM »
I get the same on some CWOP pages, but others are ok  http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/cwop/CWOPpage.html
Enjoy,Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 10:11:57 AM »
The static front end web server seems to be up. http://findu.com

The problem seems to be on the Apache web service running on CentOS with any of the cgi scripts are not working. So back-end server services problem.

More troubling though is that the error message shows Apache version 2.2.15 and that is very very old! That was released in March 2010. Over 8 year old web server software. This is free open source software. There is no excuse for not having upgraded the web server software. The number of vulnerabilities and exploits known is incredible. Totally surprises me that it has been running for so long. Maybe that is part of the service issue uptime and reliability throughout the years. Crazy. This needs attention. CWOP is on life support if this doesn't get attention. Newest version of Apache 2.4.35 was released 4 days ago on Sept 22. Web server software gets regular updates because features are added and there is constant discovery of exploits to old and new features. So it needs to be kept up.

If you have your own website that you pay a hosting company to maintain for your personal weather website then it is the responsibility of the hosting company to maintain the back end software. A bad hosting company will neglect and then you can get hacked. Getting hacked can mean loosing data, loosing performance, experiencing down time, security breached, and other such maladies.

On a home network the idea that if it isn't broken don't fix it is somewhat passable (I wouldn't do it still though). A home network is somewhat of a controlled environment behind a firewall (not totally as other devices can bring stuff into the network). But when something like a web server is exposed 24/7 to the world of hackers and viruses it needs to be better maintained. As an IT professional I find this utterly irresponsible.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:16:22 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 02:40:51 PM »
Gee I thought FindU.com was bad with their server upkeep. Looks like Gladstonefamily.net is even worse.

Gladstonefamily.net runs:

Apache 2.2.3
Release date: July 2006

PHP: 5.3.0
Release date: June 2009
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything