Author Topic: importing data  (Read 4506 times)

Offline jackson

importing data
« on: March 08, 2008, 10:24:43 AM »
Hi. My sending board was down for about 3 weeks in January. Davis sent me a new one. But I have no data for that period. A fellow Davis user in the area was nice enough to offer me his data to fill the hole. Has anyone been through something similar? What's the easiest way to insert this new data? It looks like I cannot combine the .wlk files. Thanks.

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
Re: importing data
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 10:50:13 AM »
I wrote an small application that I posted on my website that you can use to import data into another wlk file.  You can download it for free at http://www.ruysfamily.com/WLKReaderWriter/WLKAppDownload.html.  Make sure you make a backup of your data first, I do not want to be responisible for accidentally messing up your data.  What you are to need to do though is export the data from your friend's wlk file into a text format trough WeatherLink so that my application can merge it into your wlk file.

Offline celini

• Your Weather Link for Montreal
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 12:49:26 PM »
Exactly what I'm looking for. I will give a try to this program tonight but what a clever idea you had to create and support this tool. Will see if I can merge two .WLK files in one. I will keep you posted.
Your Weather Link for Montreal
Online Weahter data available on : www.celinium.com

Offline celini

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
The manual import is working fine. Very useful tool  =D>. You should keep this application not far from you. You never know what can happen. However I still have pb with the bulk import feature. I sent an email to the author of the WLK Reader / Writer Application with the error message I get (see below). I will keep you posted as soon I receive an answer.

******** Error Message *************
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at System.Byte.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at System.String.System.IConvertible.ToByte(IFormatProvider provider)
   at System.Convert.ToByte(Object value)
   at ByteReaderApp.BulkInsert.FillExtraTemp(DataRow dr, ComboBox field, String fieldType, Int32 curRow)
   at ByteReaderApp.BulkInsert.WRCreateMatch(String recLine, Int32 curRow, Char[] delim, WeatherRecord& wr, Int32& dayNum)
   at ByteReaderApp.BulkInsert.BulkInsertRecords(Char[] delim)
   at ByteReaderApp.BulkInsert.StartImport_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 10:04:30 AM »
celini,
  Did you get my email that I sent a while back about what might be causing your error?  I was unable to replicate the problem on my machine with the data that you provided.  Let me know if you are still having problems and I will try to figure out how to fix them.

Offline celini

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 09:35:58 AM »
celini,
  Did you get my email that I sent a while back about what might be causing your error?  I was unable to replicate the problem on my machine with the data that you provided.  Let me know if you are still having problems and I will try to figure out how to fix them.

Hello jruys,

Sorry for my late answer. Yes I received your kind email and everything went well with the import using WLReader/Writer tool. I had time to test it yesterday. The problem encountered late in September was on the metric units and date format. Then, I converted all my data to the standard unit (vs metrics) and used the following date format : dd/mm/yyyy. Since I'm able to insert the missing data on my WLK file (I had a pb with my Weatherlink software for a couple of hours on September 25). Thanks to this great tool, I was able to load the missing weather data. Thank you again jruys for sharing this tool with the weather community and thank you again for the great support. I strongly recommend this tool for anyone who want to insert/update weather data in WLK file. WLReader/Writer rocks.

For reference, here is the header of the import file I used (this may help others):
Date   Time     Interval   Temp.     Dew Point     Pressure     Wind     Wind Speed     Wind Gust     Humidity     Rainfall Rate (Hourly)
25/09/2008   12:01 AM   1   62.2   57.4   30.387   ---   0   0   84   0
25/09/2008   12:11 AM   1   62.1   57.2   30.387   ---   0   0   84   0

Edit : please note the tab separator
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:39:18 AM by celini »

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 07:28:01 PM »
I am glad that everything worked out for you and thanks for the complements.

anything