Author Topic: TWC Focusing on the Tuscaloosa Tornado  (Read 2593 times)

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
TWC Focusing on the Tuscaloosa Tornado
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:48:53 PM »
Does this rub anyone else the wrong way or am I just being too sensitive? I saw that the Weather Channel was focusing all of their programming tonight exclusively on Tuscaloosa and the tornado that struck a year ago. That would be fine except for the fact that last year on this date was much more than just a tornado striking a major Southern city. It was the biggest tornado outbreak in the history of the United States.

The Tuscaloosa tornado was just a part of it.

Not to mention, there were other violent tornadoes that day that deserve to be noted.

The F5 in Smithville, Mississippi that obliterated the entire town.

The Hackelburg, Tennessee tornado that killed 72 people.

The Rainsville tornado.

The Shoal Creek tornado.

The Ringgold tornado.

Plus a ton of others that I know I am overlooking.

Why are these less important in the Weather Channel's mind than Tuscaloosa? Why is the entire outbreak overshadowed by a single tornado?

We remember Xenia from the original super outbreak but we don't forget the other tornadoes that came along beside it.

I am seriously befuddled and disturbed over the Weather Channel's decision making in this case.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: TWC Focusing on the Tuscaloosa Tornado
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:59:20 AM »
If they are looking at a particular characteristic of that tornado, then that is one thing, but if they are just looking at that tornado because it hit a large town, then I would agree that that would rub the wrong way. #-o
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 07:42:18 AM »
No different than the Military channel doing a special on the Battle of the Bulge.   I am sure lots of other battles/casualties that happened that day (week, month or over the 6 years of ww2), that affected a lot of people and did not get a show dedicated to them.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:46:15 AM »
That's a good way to relate, so I guess seeing it from that vantage point makes it not as bad of an offense.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline KF5APO

• Active Skywarn Advanced Spotter/ Chaser.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 04:00:40 PM »
I would also agree that it is wrong to just focus on one area and the last time I submitted Photo's to the weather Channel they never aired them, which has me a little disappointed so now I only use weather forecasts from the National Weather Service webpage for my area.
and when it comes to severe weather warnings I find the local tv news station to be just as reliable and my Battery operated weather radio.
and my radio in my truck has automatic weather alerts enabled too. " I'm just saying since my experience with the weather Channel by sending my photos, I've found Other methods of obtaining weather data for my area which are just as reliable."
as well as new Severe weather alert programs being introduced into the Communities.
and, I do have to agree with Hail Hunter on this...
Does this rub anyone else the wrong way or am I just being too sensitive? I saw that the Weather Channel was focusing all of their programming tonight exclusively on Tuscaloosa and the tornado that struck a year ago. That would be fine except for the fact that last year on this date was much more than just a tornado striking a major Southern city. It was the biggest tornado outbreak in the history of the United States.

The Tuscaloosa tornado was just a part of it.

Not to mention, there were other violent tornadoes that day that deserve to be noted.

The F5 in Smithville, Mississippi that obliterated the entire town.

The Hackelburg, Tennessee tornado that killed 72 people.

The Rainsville tornado.

The Shoal Creek tornado.

The Ringgold tornado.

Plus a ton of others that I know I am overlooking.

Why are these less important in the Weather Channel's mind than Tuscaloosa? Why is the entire outbreak overshadowed by a single tornado?

We remember Xenia from the original super outbreak but we don't forget the other tornadoes that came along beside it.

I am seriously befuddled and disturbed over the Weather Channel's decision making in this case.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:08:15 PM by KF5APO »
KF5APO
Andy
4" Stratus Rain Gauge
accurite temp station.
Future Recruit Davis VP2 model 6163 24 hr FARS.

anything