Author Topic: Ultrasonic Snow Depth for the VP2  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Stefan

• Chengdu Hongyuv Technology Co.,Ltd
Re: Ultrasonic Snow Depth for the VP2
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 03:27:08 AM »
It doesn't have evaporation problem, radar wave detect rain drops when they are falling down in the air.
HY-RS2E radar rain gauge cost 430 USD/UNIT/FOB CHINA, and I may be able to apply extra discount for who would like to take first "bite".

The published specifications claim an accuracy of +/- 10%.  Does wind decrease the accuracy, or is that 10% error the worst case during a typhoon?

One more question.  Are english-language technical manuals available online to read prior to purchase?  I would like to know how complex it will be to write a device driver for weewx or other weather collection software before placing an order.....
I think what you're meanning is communication protocol?
Our sensor use international standard MODBUR-RTU protocol.
Ecowitt HP3500
Davis VP2
HongYuv Ultrasonic All in One weather station
Our IoT cloud platform:
http://iot.hongyuv.com/page/HongYuvDemo
Wundergournd: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ICHENG18

Offline Stefan

• Chengdu Hongyuv Technology Co.,Ltd
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 03:30:23 AM »
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for all the helpful information! Can this sensor be used to measure water depth in a shallow marina (less than 4 feet deep)?
Of course, it's not only for snow, but also for all liquids.
Ecowitt HP3500
Davis VP2
HongYuv Ultrasonic All in One weather station
Our IoT cloud platform:
http://iot.hongyuv.com/page/HongYuvDemo
Wundergournd: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ICHENG18

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 08:29:47 AM »
That was back in the day with those old Parallax PING sensors. They've gotten better with time. MaxBotix has one specifically designed for snow depth. I have all of the parts here for it, but never had the time to put it together.

https://www.maxbotix.com/selection-guide/snow-depth-applications.htm

Those are IP67.

I know that I have posted this previously here and here, but just for reference I thought that I would mention it here. It is a Maxbotix sensor, optimized for snow and it has the self-cleaning option. I have since added the extra horn that Maxbotix offers.

If you wind up getting one of these ultrasonic sensors, from any source, I highly recommend a good flat "target" for the beam to hit. I used an expanded PVC sheet. (these got pretty expensive since the first time I ordered one). It is a 2ft x 2ft square. (61cm)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 08:55:46 AM »
That was back in the day with those old Parallax PING sensors. They've gotten better with time. MaxBotix has one specifically designed for snow depth. I have all of the parts here for it, but never had the time to put it together.

https://www.maxbotix.com/selection-guide/snow-depth-applications.htm

Those are IP67.

I know that I have posted this previously here and here, but just for reference I thought that I would mention it here. It is a Maxbotix sensor, optimized for snow and it has the self-cleaning option. I have since added the extra horn that Maxbotix offers.

If you wind up getting one of these ultrasonic sensors, from any source, I highly recommend a good flat "target" for the beam to hit. I used an expanded PVC sheet. (these got pretty expensive since the first time I ordered one). It is a 2ft x 2ft square. (61cm)

Greg H.

How accurate has that been for you? I have a self cleaning one as well, with horn, etc., but it's been packed away in a box.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
When the wind is calm and the snow falls straight down, it is fairly accurate. Within a couple of tenths of an inch or so.
If it gets sunny and affects the temperature sensor, the "speed of sound" calculation can get off and depress the reading to as much as a half inch.
It is in a really bad location and the wind swirls around the deck and either sweeps the target board clear, or piles it up. I have straight RS-232 serial runnng from it to my Linux box. Some scripts parse the data string and subtract the "no snow" distance and convert it to inches.

With RS-485, the unit from Stefan's outfit could be interesting. I would need to feed power out to the sensor as well as the data line. The Davis rain interface could be interesting. I figure I could adapt my existing scripts if the Davis compatible version doesn't come to fruition.

It might be interesting to see some sample data output from this sensor.

Greg H.

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 11:48:17 AM »
Greg,

What model (#) MaxBotix sensor do you have/recommend? And what additional options are recommended?

What do you connect the sensor to? Serial/USB port

Also, how do you process/display online the data? Are you relying on Weather Display software?

Even though I temporarily set up a Porcupine LR4/Fluke laser measuring device at the end of last winter, I am open to alternatives. Now is the time for these considerations as I prepare for a more permanent installation and conduit run.

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 11:56:05 AM »
Greg,

What model (#) MaxBotix sensor do you have/recommend? And what additional options are recommended?

What do you connect the sensor to? Serial/USB port

Also, how do you process/display online the data? Are you relying on Weather Display software?

Even though I temporarily set up a Porcupine LR4/Fluke laser measuring device at the end of last winter, I am open to alternatives. Now is the time for these considerations as I prepare for a more permanent installation and conduit run.

Dennis

Here is what I have:

MB7534 SCXL-MaxSonar-WRS3
MB7957 HR-MaxTemp Complete Kit
MB7974 Snap-On Horn

I am running some custom Linux shell scripts to parse and calculate the data.

Greg H.

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 12:19:12 PM »
Thanks Greg.

The need for "custom Linux shell scripts" is enough to discourage me.

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor