Author Topic: Davis VP2/Vue/Envoy Serial cable prototype interest thread  (Read 36956 times)

Offline BigD

• Weather Watcher in Training
Re: Davis VP2/Vue/Envoy Serial cable prototype interest thread
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 10:52:18 AM »
Just sent a PM Hopefully we can help test.

Using VP2  and VVP to run WL and WD here so we can hopefully help with a few.  Be interesting to see how it behaves.

BigD

Vantage Pro2 Wireless
StartWatch - Virtual VP - VPlive - WeatherLink - Weather Display

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 04:04:45 PM »
Hi
I take my hat off to you Sloweather in developing this :)
certainly a great alternative to the more costly weatherlink for users who are not needing the history logging capability of weather link
I think this could really take off for you
you could also promote this on the WD forum as well maybe?
one question though, if a user had a new Davis station that was within warranty period, what does Davis say about that warrenty if your hardware is added to that Davis station? (sorry if this has already been covered before)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 04:59:15 PM »
Hi
I take my hat off to you Sloweather in developing this :)
certainly a great alternative to the more costly weatherlink for users who are not needing the history logging capability of weather link
I think this could really take off for you
you could also promote this on the WD forum as well maybe?
one question though, if a user had a new Davis station that was within warranty period, what does Davis say about that warrenty if your hardware is added to that Davis station? (sorry if this has already been covered before)

Before someone launches into a diatribe that includes  chapter and verse from the  Magnusson-Moss Act, I will weigh in and suggest that if you use this and your station dies, you are SOL.  I personally believe that unless it got certified through the "Empowered by Davis" (or similar) that they could make a case that it is an "unauthorized modification", therefore all warranties are null and void.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 07:35:13 PM »
I guess as long as the end user is aware of possible warrenty issues, then go for it I say :)
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
Without the logger or some sort of backup I think the market is extremely limited for this sort of adapter.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 08:17:13 PM »
Without the logger or some sort of backup I think the market is extremely limited for this sort of adapter.

Several famous folks stated that there was only a limited market for mainframe computers.  Some of the same folks stated there was only a very small market for home computers.

Cost may be a significant factor.

Time will tell, of course.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 09:55:43 PM »
How many mainframe computers are left?  :)

Offline mulveyr

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »

A heck of a lot of them, in most major industries...

I deal with mainframe software engineers at our clients on a regular basis.  It's always a treat trying to convince someone that fixed record files are not the wave of the future.  ;-)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
Right - and that is why  Google uses a mainframe.  :eek:   I am actually a MF consultant and let me tell you, other than the big financial firms they are dying.

I stand by my original proposition that without memory the market is limited.  But  I am impressed with the adapter NTL.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »

Depends a lot on your definition.  I was referring to a bunch of computing power housed in one location, and generally devoted to related tasks for a single business.

In my view, the TOP500 list consists of mainframes.

In my view, the mainframe class runs problems that "must run on a single machine" - where machine does not imply a single CPU.

Of course, if your definition is different, your count will be different. 

I did not intend to start an argument.

Offline vellecadp

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »
The first two were sent out USPS yesterday afternoon.

I still have a few for sale for testing.

Unit arrived this afternoon  =D> - installed this evening on my 6152  \:D/  Appears to be working well with Cumulus, however, not playing nice with my WD software.  Looks like data is received (as the data light blinks on the control panel but the quality indicator stays red)

I am going to play with a few more configurations in WD and not giving up.  I had a post in the WD forum regarding getting data out of the Davis unit to WD without using a datalogger but didn't get a lot of feedback yet.

Stay tuned.  Thanks again SLO for all your hard work as well as the others who helped make this possible!!!

Dennis

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 04:34:55 PM »
re WD , make sure to have the Revb setting set
and of course the correct baud rate
in the weather station type setup
check those settings maybe
you can also set it to log data for debugging (to a file)
in setup, advanced/misc
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline Bob from Kansas

• The Weather of Lawrence, Kansas
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »
Just to chime in on the thread.

My intention is to purchase one later.  Just do not have the time right now to be among the first.

Bob

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 04:44:41 PM »
one other thing, because it does not have any history data capability, I guess it would not respond to requests for that
and so any software would need to make sure not set to get history data on start up?
(i.e. only live data)
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline 130dB

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »
Got the unit this afternoon, great job Chris! I hooked it up with the semi-dangerous method to a VPro2 console. Started Putty in serial mode, the TEST, VER and LOOP commands work on the XP machine.

Since it is hooked up to my XP machine via COM1 I tested with WeatherLink, no luck. I may need to tweak some more settings since it was setup for the USB logger that is plugged into the Envoy.

I downloaded Cumulus and it is working as expected, minus the archive data of course.

The station that feeds my website is a server version of linux on a laptop running wview with the Envoy and USB logger. I plan to load linux server on another laptop and test it with wview. I'll keep you posted...

David

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »
one other thing, because it does not have any history data capability, I guess it would not respond to requests for that
and so any software would need to make sure not set to get history data on start up?
(i.e. only live data)

The only software i tested with was WeatherLink, and when I asked it to download the archive, it just posted that there wasn't any data available.

I spent so much time on research, design, revisions, and assembly, I wanted to get some out for others to test with. I just didn't have the time or resources to test with all of the software out there. It works great with my WeatherElement data hub, which was my main goal, so everything else is a bonus. 

Offline Bob from Kansas

• The Weather of Lawrence, Kansas
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 03:21:31 PM »
My earlier posting said I was short on time for now to be involved in your project, however things have changed quite a bit in the last few days, so if the offer is still open I'm ready to jump in.

Software is VWS, Win 7 64 bit and playing with Cumulus.  Hardware is VP2.

By an odd quirk of fate I've ended up with 2 VP2 desktop stations and this will let me explore different weather software configurations on a different computer without running the risk of screwing up the data stream for my web site.

Bob

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I just installed my VP2 wireless. Did not get the "Davis Dongle" as was not aware the station would not come with it or that I even needed it.

This cable GREATLY interests me and would be willing to pay to get one ASAP. I am a truck driver so I have a limited time window each time I get home to get things fixed, updated or installed on my weather station. When home I work diligently and you can imagine my surprise when after I spent a few hours installing my "pride and joy" VP2 in blazing 100°F heat with 89% humidity that all was for naught cause I needed a dongle to interface with the computer. Please feel free to contact me via email with specifics if any cables, boards are still available.

I am old, old school (8088 days etc, seriously), so do absolutely understand baud rate, parity etc. Only problem, as most know, is getting a 9 or 25 pin serial input on new equipment is becoming increasingly rare. My weather machine is running on a late model Toshiba laptop with no Serial inputs other than USB.

Toshiba specs: Intel I5 2.4MHz
                     3meg memory
                     Windows 7 Home Premium
                     USB only type serial inputs
                     Currently using a Prolific Serial-to-USB cable from LaCrosse WS-2308 to WD
                     I want to continue to interface with Weather Display (WD).

Obviously:  Davis VP2 (6152) Wireless.

Couple of Questions:

1. I see there is no archiving on the cable. What exactly is the purpose of the archiving?
2. Since WD will creates its own archives, would this be an issue?
3. Can the output of the cable be placed through a serial-to-USB cable?
4. Is there any plans on eventually creating a similar cable with a USB input?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:46:13 PM by K3JAE »

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 12:31:01 AM »
the lack of history data is no problem at all if you are running software 24/7 :)
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline mike_b

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2011, 11:25:10 AM »
I will be purchasing the Davis Vantage Vue in the future and would be very interested in the serial cable. My weather station software runs 24/7 so I don't need the history data stored in the logger. A solution that is less expensive than the Davis cable/logger combo would be great!
Mike, in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon
Davis Vantage Pro2, Cumulus software.

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 02:22:04 PM »
the lack of history data is no problem at all if you are running software 24/7 :)

Excellent, then a history logger is then not a big issue which even makes me more interested in this cable as my station indeed runs 24/7 on a dedicated PC (laptop).

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 03:10:21 PM »

Excellent, then a history logger is then not a big issue which even makes me more interested in this cable as my station indeed runs 24/7 on a dedicated PC (laptop).

Well it could be a issue, If you experience a power outage or if the dedicated PC crashes.
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline BigD

• Weather Watcher in Training
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »
Ditto to Avelvold ...on the power off...  assuming your not running a laptop with a battery or UPS....

Chris,

My Cable arrived safely Friday, Thanks!  Just waiting for the Spare Laptop to arrive so I can load a duplicate Weather Setup and get down to some serious testing.

Should be able to start playing sometime this coming Wednesday.

BigD

Vantage Pro2 Wireless
StartWatch - Virtual VP - VPlive - WeatherLink - Weather Display

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 07:10:10 PM »
Well it could be a issue, If you experience a power outage or if the dedicated PC crashes.

If power goes out, it is a laptop so the internal battery should maintain up to 5 hours... also have ability to charge if no power.

As for the PC crashing... :???: Well what can be done but to reboot?   :-)

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline vellecadp

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2011, 10:46:41 PM »
re WD , make sure to have the Revb setting set
and of course the correct baud rate
in the weather station type setup
check those settings maybe
you can also set it to log data for debugging (to a file)
in setup, advanced/misc

Update -

The unit is working now with my WD software as well as Cumulus. \:D/  I really do prefer the WD (latest update 10.37Qb75) and it appears to be working - I like the archiving in WD and therefore, no need to have the logger function.  It took a little while for WD to start seeing the data, but all appears to be reporting (Green quality and Data Indicators).  I am also using XPORT to share the data between my station and the Cumulus as well as my WD software.  One thing that was a little odd, the current temperature reporting from the station was 63.6 F in Cumulus, while on WD it was 63.7 F - the display indicates only 64 F so no help there.

Again, thanks again to SLO for his hard work as well as the other contributors for the pin-out investigation!

SLO - you got a winner! =D>

Dennis

anything