Author Topic: Another VP2 ultrasonic anemometer option  (Read 15128 times)

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
Another VP2 ultrasonic anemometer option
« on: August 01, 2018, 07:56:49 AM »
I've been in contact with Stefan at Hongyuv about their ultrasonic anemometer that is plug and play for the Davis VP2.

http://www.hongyuv.com/en/product.php?id=63

The price was fair, but the specs were similar to the Davis anemometer and there was no heating option. I emailed him my concerns and he replied that they have a higher accuracy version and one with an automatic heater option (turns on at 0C) and the option to go cabled instead of solar powered.

Direct from the email (I hope he doesn't mind me sharing with the community)...

Yes, we also have another model that support heating function and higher accuracy..
Attached is introduction of HY-WDS2E ultrasonic anemometer for your info.
We can modify its output to be compatible with Davis Vantage Pro2 and without solar panel.
You can power it up with 5~30VDC, power consumption of it is 5mA@12VDC.
Power supply of heating is 12-24VDC: 120mA@12V (once power supply of heater is connected, heater will automatically turn on once the temperature outside is around 0℃)
Price of  HY-WDS2E ultrasonic anemometer without solar panel is 430 USD/UNIT/FOB CHINA (heating function included.)
The solar panel will cost extra 50 USD.
Actually, we've tested WDC2E, which consume 18mA@12VDC through out winter in Chengdu,China.
It's cloudy here.
We think WDS2E will work for you, and you don't even need to turn on heating.
Do you know WindSonic from Gill?
Ours are similar to it, it don't have heating function, but still work under cold weather.
Our WDS2E won't fail unless accumulated snow/ice on platform is exceed 10 mm, which we never encounter yet.
Attached is user manual of HY-WDC2DVSE for your info.
The only different between it and HY-WDS2DVSE is ultrasonic anemometer(the one I recommend you with heater this time)

By the way, I forgot to tell you that power supply by cable is available.
We can remove solar panel and leave 4 cables for power input.
Two for anemometer, the other two for heater.

Attached are 2 PDFs he sent me. I'll be contacting him again today. If anyone has any specific questions I can add them to my email. So basically, he's quoting me $430 USD for a cabled, heated ultrasonic anemometer with +/- 2% accuracy that is plug and play with a Davis VP2.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 08:00:43 AM by dendrite »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Another VP2 ultrasonic anemometer option
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 08:24:01 AM »
So basically, he's quoting me $430 USD for a cabled, heated ultrasonic anemometer with +/- 2% accuracy that is plug and play with a Davis VP2.

Don't forget that the LCJ ones have a similar performance and are self-powered and VP2-plug-compatible, though not heated (but where does the power for this come from?) and not as cheap though still not bad for an ultrasonic - but they are made in France from a company with a long pedigree in this type of anemometer and not China. Details on our website if anyone is interested:

www.weatherstations.co.uk/lcj-ultrasonic-anemometer.htm
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:40:07 AM »
We average 75"/190cm of snow each season so the non-heated options are a concern to me. I know Ryan at SI is going to be trying out one of these anemometers and if all goes well, he may be selling it on his site. Of course he's in FL so heating and solar is not an issue for him in the winter.

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »
Thought I'd add this test report he sent me.

If you go the power cord and heater route, you could have both the anemometer and heater powered by the same cable. The RJ11 cord to the ISS/transmitter comes with 13m of cord. Standard power cable length is 4m, but he said they would do a custom length for extra cost. He said shipping to the US via UPS is $35.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:51:44 PM by dendrite »

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 02:20:23 PM »
I am VERY interested in a reasonably priced heated ultrasonic anemometer.

But it would have to be completely plug & play (compatible) with Davis. Other than the additional power requirements for the heater.

Even though I currently use Weather Display for it's website tags support,I don't want to be dependent on it. My primary data storage/archives are with WeatherLink and to a lesser degree MySQL via Davis WDTU.

The Hongyuv introduction documents lists the power requirements as DC 5-30V, 10ma@12V (without heater). I would like to know what they are WITH the heater.

Added: Note it would need to be compatible with the Davis 6332, VP2 Anemometer Transmitter Kit

Dennis
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:23:25 PM by spweather »
Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 08:13:20 AM »
I am VERY interested in a reasonably priced heated ultrasonic anemometer.

But it would have to be completely plug & play (compatible) with Davis. Other than the additional power requirements for the heater.

Even though I currently use Weather Display for it's website tags support,I don't want to be dependent on it. My primary data storage/archives are with WeatherLink and to a lesser degree MySQL via Davis WDTU.

The Hongyuv introduction documents lists the power requirements as DC 5-30V, 10ma@12V (without heater). I would like to know what they are WITH the heater.

Added: Note it would need to be compatible with the Davis 6332, VP2 Anemometer Transmitter Kit

Dennis
It looks like I'm going to bite on this. I've had a good email correspondence with Stefan there and I know Ryan W will be trying one of their ultras and may add it to his inventory if all goes well. The WDS2E with heater, no solar panel, Davis compatibility, and 20m of power cord (2 wires for heater, 2 for power) will cost me $489. The heater automatically turns on at 0°C. I may install a switch near the plug that will allow me to manually turn off the heater. It really doesn't need to run 24/7 in the winter. I posted the heater power requirements in the first post.

And it should work no problem with the Davis 6332 (I use one too). You just need to set the wind cup size to "other" so that the VP2 doesn't make any adjustments to the raw data. We'll see how it goes...I'm tired of bearings going on my anemometers after a couple years.

The ABS plastic with this concerned me, but Stefan told me it's UV stabilized like the Davis rain cone. Still, I think I'll stick with the black option instead of the white (you have the choice of either).

The only bummer is you're stuck with the Davis resolution of 1mph.

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
Well, it's on its way. I'll give a review on it once it arrives. Stefan was great to deal with which eased my worries about ordering overseas. The WDS2E basically looks like a knock off of the Gill WindSonic.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:52:59 PM by dendrite »

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 06:54:02 PM »
Hongyuv has a number of great "looking" weather stations. If they had a US distributor they could take the market by storm. I always thought if you could get a Vaisala WXT 520 knock-off that is solar powered and with a price point around $599.00......

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 10:09:21 PM »
Well, it's on its way. I'll give a review on it once it arrives. Stefan was great to deal with which eased my worries about ordering overseas. The WDS2E basically looks like a knock off of the Gill WindSonic.

Let me know how the test goes. Looks interesting
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
I am also very interested and will be monitoring this project.

I think I should be able to afford the sensor in October. Hopefully some testing results will be known by then and that will give me time to receive it and install it before winter.

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 02:55:48 PM »
I wonder if the Davis console/logger is unnecessary in all this?  I mean, why not just use a Raspberry Pi to collect the data from these sensors?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 03:34:42 PM »
To me the Davis compatibility is very important as I have Weatherlink data going back to 2003 that I want to append to.

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 05:37:49 PM »
To me the Davis compatibility is very important as I have Weatherlink data going back to 2003 that I want to append to.

Dennis
I hear ya. I have WL data from this location going back to 2006 and back to 1996 at my previous location with my WMII. It's hard to let go. lol

I think I'm going to go the Meteobridge Pro/Nano route. I can keep WL datalogs for continuity, but widen my sensor and data options with the MB.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 07:28:30 PM »

Dennis

So convert your Davis WLK files to SQL DB and that is the end of it.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 10:16:26 AM »
Here’s a pic from Stefan of my HY-WDS2E customized for the VP2. It was shipped a couple days ago and is scheduled to arrive Thursday. It’ll take a little time before I get it installed. I will probably put a switch on the power wire for the heater so that it doesn’t have to run in the winter on dry days.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
I noticed that it tops out at 90mph (40 m/s). I know some will say that any equipment will be lucky to survive those winds and, yet, we've heard reports from forum members about Davis anemometers recording such events. Just putting it out there.

Also what diameter pole will this fit on?
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 01:53:50 PM »
I noticed that it tops out at 90mph (40 m/s). I know some will say that any equipment will be lucky to survive those winds and, yet, we've heard reports from forum members about Davis anemometers recording such events. Just putting it out there.

Also what diameter pole will this fit on?
My version is 0-60m/s (134mph). I posted the PDF with the specs in my first post.

Pole diameter is 50mm so basically 2".

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 02:24:29 PM »

OK, thanks. Does anyone know offhand if a 2" u-bolt will fit through the mounting holes in a Davis anemometer transmitter?

My version is 0-60m/s (134mph). I posted the PDF with the specs in my first post.

The web page you linked to claims the max is 40 m/s. Didn't bother with the PDF because I figured the specs must be the same. I wonder which one is accurate?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:37:09 PM by openvista »

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 03:39:06 PM »
Does anyone know offhand if a 2" u-bolt will fit through the holes in a Davis anemometer transmitter

It looks like it should. The inside dimension of the spacing between the u-bolt mounting holes is 1.6", outside: 3.2". So a 2.5" u-bolt looks like it would fit fine.

Note: this is measuring an older VP1 enclosure but I beleave they are the same as the VP2 enclosures.

Also, openvista, I'm intrigued by your anemometer pole. Can you please tell me a little about it? How tall is it? Is it standalone (I don't see any guy wires)? Where did you get it?

I am really getting to old and tired of climbing up onto my second story garage roof to perform maintenance on my anemometer. I would really like to switch to something ground base, but need 30-40 above the ground.

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 03:55:05 PM »
We have many >100mph without any damages in Davis vanes.

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »
Does anyone know offhand if a 2" u-bolt will fit through the holes in a Davis anemometer transmitter

It looks like it should. The inside dimension of the spacing between the u-bolt mounting holes is 1.6", outside: 3.2". So a 2.5" u-bolt looks like it would fit fine.

Note: this is measuring an older VP1 enclosure but I beleave they are the same as the VP2 enclosures.

Also, openvista, I'm intrigued by your anemometer pole. Can you please tell me a little about it? How tall is it? Is it standalone (I don't see any guy wires)? Where did you get it?

I am really getting to old and tired of climbing up onto my second story garage roof to perform maintenance on my anemometer. I would really like to switch to something ground base, but need 30-40 above the ground.

Dennis

OK, good to know. Next time I take down the anny, I will run a tape measure across the transmitter to verify.

I use a 30ft Superior 3 telescopic flagpole (http://store.tele-pole.com/telescoping-flagpoles/30-ft-superior-three-telescoping-flagpole-reg-779-sale-579/). ValentineWeather also uses the same pole as do some other members (whose screen names escape me). I've recorded 50mph winds on it no problem. It's made out of 10 gauge aluminum and the manufacturer warranties it for ANY wind speed. It's pretty heavy when raising it up, but I'd say an average man in good health should be able to do so.

No, I don't use guy wires because there's no place for me to secure them properly as there are nearby obstructions. The top will move very noticeably in high winds, but I've never found it to be a huge problem, counter-intuitively. Compared to other stations (the nearby Coast Guard in particular), it seems accurate in both speed and direction, especially when averaged over 10 mins. The most important thing is that the base is perfectly true and level. That way, when it's at rest, it can easily pick up a 1mph wind and the directional vane requires minimal inertia to turn. 

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 06:28:44 PM »

OK, thanks. Does anyone know offhand if a 2" u-bolt will fit through the mounting holes in a Davis anemometer transmitter?

The web page you linked to claims the max is 40 m/s. Didn't bother with the PDF because I figured the specs must be the same. I wonder which one is accurate?
Stefan had mine customized. I posted 2 different PDFs of 2 different products in that original post. The HY-WDC2DVSE is the one they advertise as being compatible with the VP2. That has the same specs as the Davis anemometer and it isn't heated. I inquired Hongyuv about it and Stefan said they can make the better spec'd one (the WDS2E) compatible for the VP2 as well. I was able to choose the heater option, color (black or white), the Davis RJ11 compatibility, whether I wanted solar power or not, and the length of cord.

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 06:45:12 PM »
openvista,

Thanks for the information about the Superior 3 pole.

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
Here’s a pic from Stefan of my HY-WDS2E customized for the VP2. It was shipped a couple days ago and is scheduled to arrive Thursday. It’ll take a little time before I get it installed. I will probably put a switch on the power wire for the heater so that it doesn’t have to run in the winter on dry days.

I have been anxiously waiting to hear how this sensor has been performing.

Any news?

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 02:23:36 PM »
Sorry guys. I'm going to need another few weeks before I get everything up and running. The Mrs. had some tragedy in her family and we were out of state for awhile. I'm waiting on a new 40ft telescopic mast too. Guy wiring that to my garage roof will be fun too. Hopefully the 40ft isn't too high.

anything