Author Topic: Weather Station  (Read 6329 times)

Offline kjf101

Weather Station
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:46:44 AM »
Hi all,
       I am nerw to the forum and live in New Hampshire. I have an old Davis weather station and was wondering what would be the next step above a Davis weather station? I would like wireless.

Thanks

kevin

Offline tsgrue

Re: Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:55:32 AM »

Is something broken on your current Weather Station? What model is it?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »
More importantly, what is your budget?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline kjf101

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:25:39 AM »
Get back to you shortly on model. I don't think it is broken but it is over 6 years old and has not been used in as many years.

kevin

PS: I believe it is the Vantage Pro wireless, w/fan aspirated shield.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:07:51 AM by kjf101 »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
That's a good station.  If I were you I'd hook it up and see if it works.  It probably needs new batteries.  If it doesn't work, you can send it back to Davis and get it remanufactured for around $110 (if I'm not mistaken).  That's not a bad deal.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline kjf101

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I do not like the display unit and the way the data logger attaches to it, kind of sticks out. I was looking at the newer Davis units but also wanted to look at a higher end than Davis. Budget maybe 2000.00
kevin

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 05:19:19 PM »
Rainwise. Goes to 60 below has an alt. power spply for low daylight condition. Lot of station in Fairbanks use this one including me. Sitting here to be installed next spring at my site in the boonies.

John

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
Or Vaisala.  Hunt the forum for a post on a university implementation.  When I win the lotto that is what I am getting.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline kjf101

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »
Again, thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I have one more question. My house is on the side of a mountain/hill and we are very heavily wooded. Would I be better off forgetting about a wind speed indicator and anenometer due to them probably not being true readings?

thanks

kevin

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »
It depends on what your definition of "true" is. Some people strive for as close to meteorological accuracy as possible. Others want to know what the wind is like in their backyard, where it might be sheltered from trees.

It's your choice.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 02:21:47 PM »
you will still at least get a trend in the windspeed  and direction though
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline kjf101

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 06:59:56 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I do not like the display unit and the way the data logger attaches to it, kind of sticks out. I was looking at the newer Davis units but also wanted to look at a higher end than Davis. Budget maybe 2000.00
kevin

Hey guys, I just opened my weather station and it is a Davis Weather Monito 2, wireless. I am possibly thinking of putting it back to use but like I said before I don't like the way the data logger and the Sensor Link receiver just hang off the console display unit.

Kevin

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 08:26:34 PM »
the VP or Vue uses a much smaller data logger that more neatly  fits into the console
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline kjf101

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:07:03 PM »
Yes and I don't think you can change the display console.

kevin

Offline skinnysqueaky

• Old River Rat
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 09:59:52 AM »
kevin

Hey guys, I just opened my weather station and it is a Davis Weather Monito 2, wireless. I am possibly thinking of putting it back to use but like I said before I don't like the way the data logger and the Sensor Link receiver just hang off the console display unit.

Kevin

I have been running a WMII for over 12 years with out a problem except for cockpit errors. The unit was shipped with a stand the the data logger fits into and can be set for desk use or wall mounting.  The data logger goes back to the early 90s and is limited to size of memory and the data speed  is only 2400kb.  Can take a long time for updates if the logger is full, But all said and done watching weather is a lot like watching paint dry! ( most of the time)

What part is wireless,  the sensors to the console or the console to the computer?   

I would love to move my anemometer to the end of my dock for better wind readings but the cable run would be almost 300”  Have thought about upgrading to a Vantage pro wireless  with a wireless  anemometer but the wallet is not that deep.  I have recorded wind gust in excess of 70 mph on 4 occasions and a number of 50mph gust every year.  I have wonder what the gust were out on the dock ( had a 15” row boat blown 40' into the neighbors yard that was sitting by the sea-wall).Good luck with the WMII, it's a good unit.
On the Niagara River

Davis Weather Monitor II plus all the goodies.

Offline kjf101

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
Hi Skinnysqueaky,
                        The sensors are wireless, the unit has a transmitter and solar panel to charge the batteries. The data logger and the Sensor Link hang out the back of the unit.

kevin

Offline skinnysqueaky

• Old River Rat
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 10:56:25 AM »
  I have a catalog from Davis for 1999 and it list the wireless station.  Model #7440w with rain gauge outside temperature, humidity, anemometer and inside barometer, temp, humidity. List for $795.  The unit with solar power, model 7440S list for $895.  To hook up to a computer you needed the data-logger with the weather-link software package, list for $165.  The range of the unit was “100' to 400' ”.

In 2000 Davis introduced the Vantage Pro wireless version with solar pane,l 6160, listed for $595.  Go figure the pricing!  Oh in the 2001 Davis catalog the wireless 7440w is no longer listed, still could get the cabled version.

From what you say about the data-logger hanging out the back it sounds like you are missing the desk stand/wall mount bracket.  The data-logger fits inside and the console fits on top.  I hope this information will help, good luck with the unit.

Bob
On the Niagara River

Davis Weather Monitor II plus all the goodies.

Online VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 07:33:22 PM »
Rainwise. Goes to 60 below has an alt. power spply for low daylight condition. Lot of station in Fairbanks use this one including me. Sitting here to be installed next spring at my site in the boonies.

John

...I'll 2nd that.... =D>

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 08:50:21 PM »
Can the anemometer or rain gauge be seperated? If not those Rainwize stations can be hard to site without having to compramize for accuracy. Not saying Rainwize isn't accurate. They're probably some of the most accurate stations around provided they're sited right. Another thing how much do you want out of the console? While Rainwize consoles maybe good for reading across a room in any light condition they lack in onboard features like graphing forecasting holding more high and low data. To some that may not be important.

http://www.columbiaweather.com/ These guys too make pretty good stations. They feature a touch screen that displays more data at once and includes PC interface. Wireless is an option unfortunatly. They go down to -67.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:24:14 PM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Online VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »
Can the anemometer or rain gauge be seperated? If not those Rainwize stations can be hard to site without having to compramize for accuracy. Not saying Rainwize isn't accurate. They're probably some of the most accurate stations around provided they're sited right. Another thing how much do you want out of the console? While Rainwize consoles maybe good for reading across a room in any light condition they lack in onboard features like graphing forecasting holding more high and low data. To some that may not be important.

http://www.columbiaweather.com/ These guys too make pretty good stations. They feature a touch screen that displays more data at once and includes PC interface. Wireless is an option unfortunatly. They go down to -67.

Yup..they can:

http://www.rainwise.com/products/detail.php?ID=6709&Category=MK-III_Weather_Stations:Sensor_Assemblies&pageNum_cart=/products/index.php

In the more than 10 years of running a Rainwise, never had the problems you describe.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 08:11:22 PM »

Click that link and you get "Sorry - this unit has been discontinued"

Yup..they can:

http://www.rainwise.com/products/detail.php?ID=6709&Category=MK-III_Weather_Stations:Sensor_Assemblies&pageNum_cart=/products/index.php

In the more than 10 years of running a Rainwise, never had the problems you describe.

Online VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »

Click that link and you get "Sorry - this unit has been discontinued"

Yup..they can:

so......let me see....give Rainwise a call...?

Offline MCook21

• Millersville '15 Meteorologist
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
I am very pleased with my Vantage Pro 2