Author Topic: More TWC Departures  (Read 21421 times)

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
More TWC Departures
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/weather-channel-lays-off-7-of-workforce-in-restructuring_b150338

In the past few weeks a number of on-air meteorologists announced that they were leaving the company,
including 14-year employee Adam Berg and 27-year employee Jeff Morrow.

Read somewhere else Heather Tesch got the axe too.

TWC better not get rid of Crystal Egger or I'll never watch it again.  :grin:
Tony

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: More TWC Departures
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »
2 cents:
This is awful to hear. I was originally a big Steve Lyons fan. Even though the direction of weather I am particularly interested in isnt hurricanes, I also enjoyed watching his insight. I have always been a big Jeff Morrow fan since I was a little kid. I always watched PM edition when I got home from school so I could watch him and Vivian..I think this is a big fall for TWC. I watched Heather Tesch with the old guy in the mornings (Cant recollect his name) when "Your Weather Today" was actually good......It's just all a big Roker-Carfagno-Cantore monopoly and its ruining what used to be a great show. Forbes is the only good guy left but I think everyone knows that when he goes TWC burns to the ground......
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »
I keep tryin' to tell y'all.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
Jen Carfagno could do the weather 24/7 and I'd be happy lol.  :-P

You're thinking of Marshall Seese. Those 2 were good together. I did notice that Heather Tesch
seemed to stumble a bit with her words. She was relegated to weekend afternoons when I last saw here.

In all seriousness, I was wondering if she has some kind of medical problem.
Reminded me of a TV meteorologist here that was diagnosed with MS.
Tony

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
I'm not saying Jen isn't eye candy because I would agree, but I'm looking for a less news oriented channel :-)

And you and I must have the same brainwave regarding Tesch; I always got that vibe from her.
Joe Fitzwater

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 08:53:28 PM »
It's really a shame, but I guess it's the American way:  An entity does well, another company buys it and ruins it.

I've spent a lot of hours watching TWC over the years.  Not now.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 11:30:56 PM »
I believe it was the group "Queen" who sang the song "Another one bites the dust".

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 05:18:40 AM »
At least one former TWC employee is fighting back. Not sure if this ever got mentioned, I am just now hearing about it, but it turns out TWC fired Nicole Mitchell because she wanted to continue operating as a hurricane hunter for the USAF. For those that remember, every Autumn, Mitchell would often have a leave of abscence in order to work with the Air Force in hurricane hunting and research. She would be back in time for Winter and continue through late Summer. It never seemed like a big deal to TWC before NBC got their grubby paws on it.

Well, Mitchell got good and angry about her dismissal and is now suing the Weather Channel for unfair dismissal citing that they used her military service as an illegal reason to fire her.

This is a lose/lose situation for the network. They will either be out a lot of money if they lose, or they will be in the dog house publicly should a major network get their hands on this story.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
    Maybe TWC should start naming media storms as well. :roll: They could start with this one using "the picky Nikki" squall.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:33:34 AM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 06:33:20 AM »
Maybe TWC should start naming media storms as well. :roll: They could start with this one using "the picky Nikki" squall.

[-X

#-o

:roll:

:lol:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 07:24:44 AM »
At least one former TWC employee is fighting back. Not sure if this ever got mentioned, I am just now hearing about it, but it turns out TWC fired Nicole Mitchell because she wanted to continue operating as a hurricane hunter for the USAF.

http://insidecablenews.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/nicole-mitchell-sues-the-weather-channel/

The case is now headed into arbitration after TWC, NBC/Universal, Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group refused to allow the case to proceed in the Federal District Court and moved to enforce an arbitration clause.

I wasn't aware that TWC was associated with Bain, but that's yet another reason to block them out of your channel guide and disassociate them from any website(s) you may have.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 08:44:58 AM »
Without knowing the specifics of her contract with TWC it's hard to take a side here.
On the surface it seems like TWC is in the wrong. The fact that they acknowledged that she wasn't dismissed for performance reasons must mean there is something else in her contract that led to the dismissal. Claiming it was purely a business decision  has some merit but what we don't know.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 09:10:16 AM »
At least one former TWC employee is fighting back. Not sure if this ever got mentioned, I am just now hearing about it, but it turns out TWC fired Nicole Mitchell because she wanted to continue operating as a hurricane hunter for the USAF. For those that remember, every Autumn, Mitchell would often have a leave of abscence in order to work with the Air Force in hurricane hunting and research. She would be back in time for Winter and continue through late Summer. It never seemed like a big deal to TWC before NBC got their grubby paws on it.

Well, Mitchell got good and angry about her dismissal and is now suing the Weather Channel for unfair dismissal citing that they used her military service as an illegal reason to fire her.

This is a lose/lose situation for the network. They will either be out a lot of money if they lose, or they will be in the dog house publicly should a major network get their hands on this story.

GO MITCHELL!!!  =D>

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »
At least one former TWC employee is fighting back. Not sure if this ever got mentioned, I am just now hearing about it, but it turns out TWC fired Nicole Mitchell because she wanted to continue operating as a hurricane hunter for the USAF.

http://insidecablenews.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/nicole-mitchell-sues-the-weather-channel/

The case is now headed into arbitration after TWC, NBC/Universal, Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group refused to allow the case to proceed in the Federal District Court and moved to enforce an arbitration clause.

I wasn't aware that TWC was associated with Bain, but that's yet another reason to block them out of your channel guide and disassociate them from any website(s) you may have.

I think any of us who have a facebook account should post the link to this story there. I just did!  :lol:

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 09:25:08 AM »
I hope Mitchell gets out of it good. I remember watching her on TWC awhile back and man she is fine on the eyes! :lol:

But seriously, she has always mentioned that she did the hurricane hunting, and even when she wasnt in the studio, TWC would mention it during hurricane season, something like "Our very own Nicole Mitchell is hurricane hunting in the Gulf determining if we have a named storm...". But of course, NBC is going to try and homogenize TWC (As if it already isnt now) and make it the next CNBC that very few people are going to watch, not including me.
Joe Fitzwater

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »
Here's a forum not associated with TWC http://twctoday.com/forums/
Tony