Author Topic: WS-2902A WiFI Connectivity Issues  (Read 1435 times)

Offline kellbell88

WS-2902A WiFI Connectivity Issues
« on: December 25, 2018, 05:42:11 PM »
Hi all,

I've just received a WS-2902A and am having difficulties getting it set up to my Wifi network.

I get the flashing Wifi symbol on my Ambient console just fine.

I am able to see the AMBWeather WIFI network in my WIFI options.

However, every time I go through the steps in the awnet app, the connection always fails. It connects to the console, but never makes it past that point.

I've done a ton of messing around with my wifi router too - trying to disable 5ghz networks, avoiding the extender networks, etc, but nothing really makes a difference. No matter what, I cannot get the Ambient apps to recognize my wifi network.

Does anyone have any helpful tips? Advice? At this point I have turned 'off' the 5ghz network and am only trying to use the 2.4ghz one (as the Ambient set up manual directs.)

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
Re: WS-2902A WiFI Connectivity Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 02:51:34 AM »
What version of the firmware does the AWNET app indicate you're running, and did you get the update installed if you weren't already running v4.0.3?

I had v4.0.2 running when I got my new WS-2902A connected yesterday without issue to my dual band ASUS router at 2.4 GHz.

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 03:03:20 AM »
You don't have to turn off 5 GHz on the Wifi router, but don't try connecting your display console to it. Only connect the display console to the WiFi using the 2.4 GHz band.

Also, I noticed that it took a while for the 4.0.3 update to go into effect after downloading and installing it. This update supposedly resolves connection issues.

Offline kellbell88

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »
That’s the thing - I can’t even successfully add the device in the Awnet app to see what firmware the console is running. Is there a way to update the firmware without a connection through one of the Ambient apps?

When I plug in the console it displays - 2 in the top left and then 1.06. Is that the firmware and I’m behind?

Offline madkiwi

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 12:36:35 PM »
You can't update the firmware until after you are connected with AWNET.

Every time I am near my base station if I open the app it is connected. In your case you may want to call Ambient, their tech support is really nice. Might be long waits today, after all there may have been many weather stations received as gifts.

Good luck.
WS-2902A WU:KMTFLRE23
WS-2813 WU:KMTMISS015

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 05:07:24 AM »
That’s the thing - I can’t even successfully add the device in the Awnet app to see what firmware the console is running. Is there a way to update the firmware without a connection through one of the Ambient apps?

When I plug in the console it displays - 2 in the top left and then 1.06. Is that the firmware and I’m behind?

Like Mark said, and the WS-2902A Manual (v 1.5, 7.1.1,page 15) lays out, the AWNET Console Configuration app is required to connect with the internet.

"7.1.3.2 Android
Note: Make sure the awnet application has location services turned on by selecting APP PERMISSIONS from your android device."

Be sure to do this check as simply answering yes to a prompt during the installation doesn't always work. Related to this, I wonder if the Android version is relevant. What's the OS version you're running? Some users  at the Google play store have posted issues on devices running version 9.

Also, be sure that the console and sensor array are close to each other; e.g., 5 to 10 feet.

Yes, upon first initialization of the console:
"6.2 Console Initialization
After the console is connected to AC power, the console will display the software version number two seconds after power up."

You might also consider starting from scratch, reset the console (6.11) and the sensor array - see page 54.

Offline kellbell88

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 05:19:51 PM »
Thanks so much for your help everyone!

I took a break from messing with it for a while. Lo and behold, I tried it the next morning and it connected right away. We were also having issues with connecting the Nest app/device to the network and I'm thinking I made things worse by trying to mess with the 2.4/5ghz bands. Woops.

Anyways, all is working now! Much appreciated.

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 02:29:27 AM »
Thanks for the update and congratulations on your new weather station!

Kelly