Author Topic: New BloomSky  (Read 12710 times)

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
New BloomSky
« on: January 27, 2016, 06:18:11 PM »
I just received my BloomSky with Solar Kit and finally got it online.

I had issues connecting to the WiFi at first because it needs a 2.4g wifi. 
I originally had setup an access point just for the BloomSky however when I tried to connect it would always fail (blinking WiFi Orange led, never went green). 
I then tried my other wifi network which also failed because the BloomSky gets installed using the APP on the PHONE your using and its Wireless NETWORK connection.  Meaning both the BloomSky and your Mobile need to be on the same 2.4g network to get it working. 

So I changed to my 2.4g wireless network and Presto it quickly found the WiFi and completed the registration process and within minutes a saw my first webcam image :) 

Since I received it late in the day and wanted to get it going before nightfall came I currently mounted it on a railing.  I'll update the post with photos.

I already had a station on Wunderground so I add a NEW station.
I then added a webcam.  I registered the Bloomsky to my original weather station and the Webcam is working there:
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYNEWYO411#history
http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/StatenIslandWeather/1/show.html

The Bloomsky is registered as this station without the webcam and not fully active yet:
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYNEWYO543#history

Not sure if I'll be able to have it point to both stations as mentioned in another post.

I've also added it to the Meteotemplate:
http://donganhillsweather.net
Thank for everyone's posts and comments on the forums here you helped me get it going.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:34:12 PM by StatenIslandWeather »
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
Re: New BloomSky
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:27:33 PM »
Thanks....nice write up.

I'm glad your persistence and patience paid off with the WIFI setup.  Several have mentioned the same thing and I’m sure the folks at Bloomsky will address that future hardware upgrades.

That’s pretty cool that you’re now able to feed WU.  The ‘end-of=day’ is really cool.  From what I understand a complete full length video should run about 18 seconds. IF you find yours something less than that it probably means your WIFI is suffering, which could be something simple as moving the Bloomsky a bit closer to the router or perhaps some sort of interference, microwave, cordless phone, etc.

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:31:59 PM »
Most of my videos on WU seem to run around 11 seconds.
http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/waysta/2/show.html

They are not the same as the daily Bloom Sky videos which do seem to run about 18 seconds each (on the mobile app, I can still get Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tue, all 18 seconds).

So there might issues other than Bloom Sky WiFi to the local WiFi router to the Bloom Sky server.  Perhaps something about how Bloom Sky connects to WU, or some sort of reduced .mp4 file size at WU (perhaps omitting some 5 min. images).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:41:04 PM by waysta »

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 07:43:51 PM »
Not sure if I'll be able to have it point to both stations as mentioned in another post.

Congrats! Nice view!

Looks like only one use of the Bloom Sky webcam at WU.  That is interesting that you were able to couple it to your main station as the webcam.

I wonder if there is a way to remove the Wind speed and direction graphs for a Bloom Sky WU WX station page?  Seems like the page format should set up when we tell WU what type of WX station it is.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:53:55 PM by waysta »

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »
Thanks guys!

May move where it is currently is but wanted to get a full day in first.

Here are some links to help on install:

BloomSky dashboard
https://dashboard.bloomsky.com/

Wunderground registration page  (I was able to link the Bloomsky to another Wunderground station using that Station ID)
https://wunderground-1112.appspot.com/
or
http://bloomsky.com/wun

Add Webcam on Wunderground
http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/signup.html#addcam

Here some pics.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 04:24:05 PM »
(I was able to link the Bloomsky to another Wunderground station using that Station ID)

Did you make more than one WU webcam name, both ftp to Bloom Sky, or assign the same WU webcam name to two different WU stations?

This is interesting, it looks like we get a latest image URL from WU:
http://icons.wunderground.com/webcamramdisk/w/a/waysta/2/current.jpg

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:32:47 PM by waysta »

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 04:45:22 PM »

Did you make more than one WU webcam name, both ftp to Bloom Sky, or assign the same WU webcam name to two different WU stations?

Is there any issue keeping the Bloom Sky from over-writing the other wx data from the other weather station?

I created one Wunderground CAM and used the registration page to point it to the Main Station(KNYNEWYO411).  The Bloomksky is (KNYNEWYO513) but has no camera assigned.
It was mentioned you could cause problems if you register the BloomSky as an existing station.   Best to create a second station first.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline waysta

• Contributor
I have my Bloom Sky station showing its own Bloom Sky / WU ftp image.  Now, I am looking for a way to also show that same image with my main RainWise station page.

Bloom Sky Station: http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYWHITE25 has been working fine now since about 1/18/16.  This Bloom Sky station page was set up sometime back in the conventional way using the Bloomsky.com/wun page.

I just tried using my newly discovered "live" WU URL to define a new WU camera pointing to that URL and then assigning that second WU "webcam" to my main page.  WU says up to 48 hours to get a URL approved, it will be interesting to see if this approach works.

I found the "realtime" WU link by right clicking "copy image address" on my WU Bloom Sky station page webcam image.  It is very fast, I suppose a tiny image (640 x 640) and it looks like a WU RAM disk file:

http://icons.wunderground.com/webcamramdisk/w/a/waysta/2/current.jpg

Update --> There is one more step, you have to go to your list of PWS, edit the main station PWS, then select the pull down menu item for associate web cam with this station.  My pic is still an old one from earlier experiments, here is to hoping that when my URL is approved, it starts to update!  Also, I set an update rate of 290 seconds so as not to miss a 300 second update, not sure if that matters.

Main station: http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYWHITE24
(not updating yet, hopefully, it will begin to update after my URL is approved)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:51:37 PM by waysta »

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 07:10:56 PM »
That's great!  I think its working I see BloomSky now on the Rainwise station :)

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 07:46:04 PM »
That's great!  I think its working I see BloomSky now on the Rainwise station :)

Thanks! Not quite there yet, but it still looks promising.  The RainWise station page showed an old image for a while, but now it says missing webcam.  However, my WebCam1 (the WU Bloom Sky URL for the most recent pic) now says "awaiting approval".  Progress, maybe?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:48:14 PM by waysta »

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »

Thanks! Not quite there yet, but it still looks promising.  The RainWise station page showed an old image for a while, but now it says missing webcam.  However, my WebCam1 (the WU Bloom Sky URL for the most recent pic) now says "awaiting approval".  Progress, maybe?

Ah, I did see it an image on both stations but didn't realize one wasn't updating.   Today I don't see any webcam on your Rainwise, I guess they didn't approve the link?
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
still says "awaiting approval".

It is odd, a ftp link goes right through, but a URL webcam needs approval. 

It might still go through okay, the page says it can take two business days to get a webcam URL approved.

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 04:44:34 PM »
still says "awaiting approval".

It is odd, a ftp link goes right through, but a URL webcam needs approval. 

It might still go through okay, the page says it can take two business days to get a webcam URL approved.

Thanks for the update.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 05:32:42 PM »
I'm confused.

Do you have a url to access the Bloomsky image directly? 

The only thing I've been able to find is the map page which has the image embedded (e.g. https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4oaal).

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 06:05:26 PM »
I'm confused.

The only thing I've been able to find is the map page which has the image embedded (e.g. https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4oaal).

I'm using this url for my website webcam image:
http://icons.wunderground.com/webcamramdisk/s/t/StatenIslandWeather/1/current.jpg?1453934127

I have not tried to use this url on wunderground as a second camera.
I think were trying to see if they allow it. 
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 07:36:50 PM »

yes, but not from Bloom Sky directly.  I made a Bloom Sky WU page with the suggested Bloom Sky ftp link.

Then, by right clicking on the Bloom Sky WU page image (on the WU Bloom Sky station WU front PWS station page), I found the WU URL to the latest WU Bloom Sky image (I am not sure if WU is getting every 5 minute image, but that is a different question)

{ I found the "realtime" WU link by right clicking "copy image address" on my WU Bloom Sky station page webcam image.  It is very fast, I suppose a tiny image (640 x 640) and it looks like a WU RAM disk file:

http://icons.wunderground.com/webcamramdisk/w/a/waysta/2/current.jpg }

Then, I set up another new (different) WU webcam pointing to the WU URL of the Bloom Sky ftp image.  So, it's just a regular WU webcam tied to a URL.  It all setup okay, but WU takes around 48 hours or more to approve a new WU webcam URL.  I still have "awaiting approval".

Anyway, then in my PWS stations, I edited the different PWS page (my main RainWise PWS page) to use the new URL based webcam.  So far, no joy ... possibly still just waiting for approval.

I don't really know if this is the right word, but I kinda feels like a "bootstrap" by reusing the internal WU version of the jpg they got by ftp from Bloom Sky to post to another different WU station page as the webcam image for the second PWS page.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:45:37 PM by waysta »

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »
Here is some info on the API.

It looks like if you can code you can get all the goodies.

The BloomSky API will export the latest weather data, picture, and recent time-lapse videos from a specific station in JSON format for any number of purposes.

http://thirdpartyapi.appspot.com/api/

Your API Key

w-xxxxxxxxxxxx

The BloomSky API gives you, the developer, the most recent
data from your own device! This data can be accessed at: thirdpartyapi.appspot.com/api/skydata/

Just add the following header: {'Authorization': Your API Key }
and you'll be set to go! For more information, check out our API documentation on our blog here.

Help

If you have any problems or want to let us know how we can
make BloomSky more awesome, feel free to contact us at support@bloomsky.com or visit our support page.

http://weatherlution.com/bloomsky-api/
The BloomSky API, now available to developers, will allow programmers and architects of connected homes to link their weather station to any number of outputs.

Don’t Know JSON? Try IFTTT

The API requires a certain level of programming knowledge to implement. If you don’t have the background to work with a web API, fear not! Try the BloomSky IFTTT channel to connect your weather station. IFTTT (if this then that) can connect your station to other devices around your home, automatically save images or time-lapse videos from your BloomSky, and a lot more. Read more about what IFTTT and BloomSky can do together here.

Programmers, Start Your Engines

To get an API Key, BloomSky station owners can go to their Dashboard, and click “Developers.”  Below is more documentation on the BloomSky API.  A download link is provided for offline convenience. If you have further questions, please post them below so an engineer can respond directly with more details. However, please be aware that due to the level of knowledge required to install the code our support team can’t walk users through this process. In these cases, please review our IFTTT channel to connect and otherwise automate your weather station.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »
Never heard of BloomSky before, but just looking at the posts here it looks quite interesting and I will find some more info about it!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 09:09:37 PM »
The IFTTT looks almost usable.  I just wish there were a way to send the image directly to your own server without going through a third party.

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 11:13:37 PM »
The IFTTT looks almost usable.  I just wish there were a way to send the image directly to your own server without going through a third party.

Not to be too critical of Bloom Sky (because I really like their product concept and effort) - I think it might be advertising and branding.  They might be trying to control our images to ensure their logo is on the images.

Though, to be fair, they are providing the servers, and so far there are no subscription charges.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:15:32 PM by waysta »

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 11:20:06 PM »
Never heard of BloomSky before, but just looking at the posts here it looks quite interesting and I will find some more info about it!

It is a lot of fun, a tiny weather station in a camera ball.  There are still problems, the worst of which is that so far there is no barometer offset to correct for elevation.  But, it is very new too (nincehelser has been reporting on it since the kickstarter project, almost a year ago or more?)

Also, it is not really a true sky camera, the field of view is square and far from 180 degrees.  A couple of nights we had a bright moon, I got a better feel for the field of view as the moon was in a corner or just below my imaged field.  On the other hand, it's at a lot lower price point than most sky cameras.  Also, a lot of folks seem to point them down (the camera swivels) to look in a certain direction, often showing a skyline, buildings, homes, or a landscape too, some look quite nice.  It's also fun to travel around the world looking at cameras on their web page.

The price point with recent discounts makes it generally available as a fun project.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:29:46 PM by waysta »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 11:39:46 PM »
Looking at the IFTTT recipe for updating a google drive spreadsheet, they are exposing a URL to the image.  I'm not sure if it's the original location or not. (it's pointed to storage.googleapis.com)

Unfortunately, the camera is off-line for the evening so it's hard to experiment.

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 12:59:34 AM »

I created one of the default If time elapse complete Then Tweet the loop URL.  It worked :)
But agreed, would like to be able to control the feed more.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 03:25:31 AM »

It is a lot of fun, a tiny weather station in a camera ball.  There are still problems, the worst of which is that so far there is no barometer offset to correct for elevation.  But, it is very new too (nincehelser has been reporting on it since the kickstarter project, almost a year ago or more?)

Also, it is not really a true sky camera, the field of view is square and far from 180 degrees.  A couple of nights we had a bright moon, I got a better feel for the field of view as the moon was in a corner or just below my imaged field.  On the other hand, it's at a lot lower price point than most sky cameras.  Also, a lot of folks seem to point them down (the camera swivels) to look in a certain direction, often showing a skyline, buildings, homes, or a landscape too, some look quite nice.  It's also fun to travel around the world looking at cameras on their web page.

The price point with recent discounts makes it generally available as a fun project.

That would be fine,  I don't care about what it measures,  I am interested in it working as a cam

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 10:55:01 AM »
Awesome setup!
Super excited to get mine!

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

anything