Author Topic: Field study thermometer shields FARS 7755, Passive 7714, & new METEOSHIELD  (Read 17062 times)

Offline hwcorder

• Contract Weather Observer at KCLT
Re: Field study thermometer shields FARS 7755, Passive 7714, & new METEOSHIELD
« Reply #250 on: August 08, 2018, 09:09:53 AM »
Something just came up from hwcorder post about using stock filter on modified 73. How about others?  I don't see a specifically made filter for these so do they even require a filter?  if so is it just some homebrew like wrapping sensor in davis type filter material?
The Campbell Sci tem/hum probe uses the 75.

https://www.campbellsci.com/cs215-l (click "read more")

I'd assume that probe filter housing is available somewhere in accessories or replacement parts.

The filter cap they use is https://www.campbellsci.com/p18142 and you request a quote. surely this isn't what most use is it? When they say request a quote it's beyond my price... :grin:

Most probes do use a filter similar to these. As far as the request a quote thing goes I think they just want you to sign up for an account.  I have ordered several things from Campbell so I have one and can get online princing.  The filter cap I planning on using is a replacement filter cap for a Vaisala HMP60 probe. Most of these run 20-45 dollars though they run up over $70 for the HMP155.

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
It would be nice to know how it shapes out with the 75 being phased out.
Really need Sensirion to spit out a pin SHT35-LSS. Maybe a few of us could email them some encouragement. ;)

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2018, 10:29:02 AM »
OK i am now running the 31 in the pro shield, it fits ok with the excess board removed so will watch it today and see how it goes. Everything looks good compared with the other sensors so far. It will be nice if everything goes well.

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »
Something just came up from hwcorder post about using stock filter on modified 73. How about others?  I don't see a specifically made filter for these so do they even require a filter?  if so is it just some homebrew like wrapping sensor in davis type filter material?

I'd assume that probe filter housing is available somewhere in accessories or replacement parts.

The filter cap they use is https://www.campbellsci.com/p18142 and you request a quote. surely this isn't what most use is it? When they say request a quote it's beyond my price... :grin:

Most probes do use a filter similar to these. As far as the request a quote thing goes I think they just want you to sign up for an account.  I have ordered several things from Campbell so I have one and can get online princing.  The filter cap I planning on using is a replacement filter cap for a Vaisala HMP60 probe. Most of these run 20-45 dollars though they run up over $70 for the HMP155.

What’s the advantages with that filter cap over Sensirion’s sf1 cap?
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2018, 12:07:21 PM »
OK i am now running the 31 in the pro shield, it fits ok with the excess board removed so will watch it today and see how it goes. Everything looks good compared with the other sensors so far. It will be nice if everything goes well.

With or without stock filter cap?
Randy

Offline hwcorder

• Contract Weather Observer at KCLT
« Reply #255 on: August 08, 2018, 12:12:17 PM »

What’s the advantages with that filter cap over Sensirion’s sf1 cap?

As far as actual performance goes probably none. However you would have to get kind creative when trying to mount a SF1 to a SHT75. These types of filter caps screw in so getting to the sensor is needed is much easier.  You also dont have to worry about adhesives and damaging the sensor with outgasing.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #256 on: August 08, 2018, 12:26:10 PM »
Using the sf2.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »
Thanks Jerry, your winds are down today but you look rather cloudy looking at solar around 218 W/m
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #258 on: August 08, 2018, 01:46:31 PM »
Yeah can not catch a break, cloudy light rain and wind.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #259 on: August 08, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »
Those filters linked above from Allied for SHT75, has OD 15mm (.59") should fit inside 1/2" Sched.40 pvc conduit with actual ID on average is .622".
Makes for easy standpipe adjustment for sensor height .  I was thinking keep it lower toward bottom of shield around 3.5-4".
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:41:53 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #260 on: August 08, 2018, 06:01:17 PM »
Ok just got through swapping the 31 out with the 75. I also remounted the two barani shields, i had put them up above the davis base which was at 7 feet, did not want to put too much work into it until i was sure what i was going to do. I now have both shields mount in the same place where the fars shields were. One thing if you put the shield up next to the base the stock cable will plug into the iss with just a little playing around. The 31 worked just fine and tracked like it should so the sensor can be used with a little care and a hacksaw. The sun finally came out awhile ago and the winds were light so got a quick look at the difference between the two shields and the worst i saw was the standard ran at times about .9 degrees warmer but when the wind picked up it was on the way down. The pro at the same time was running .4 degrees lower than the fars. While i had the 75 out i did a real good check on temp and it was right on the money. I now have the pro mounted permanently and will use it for my main station. I will continue to try different sensors and stuff in the standard shield. It is really nice having the sensor set up as a probe, easy to slide out of the shield and put back in, no need to remove the shield.  Right now pro is at 88.5 fars at 88.9  and standard 89.3. winds 5 to 7 mph.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #261 on: August 08, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »
the winds were light so got a quick look at the difference between the two shields and the worst i saw was the standard ran at times about .9 degrees warmer  The pro at the same time was running .4 degrees lower than the fars.

So you are saying 1.3 difference between Pro and standard?
Did the pro run the same .4 below FARS light wind and sun with the 31 as it was with the 75?
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #262 on: August 08, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
The difference was .8 degrees and the 75 and 31 run about the same as far as temp goes but humidity changes were faster with the 75. So far it looks like using the standard shield isn't too bad compared to the fars and that's the main thing to note as you would be replacing the fars. The pro shield just seems to run a little lower and worst case runs the same as the fars. In any case with some wind the differences just aren't that great. If i lived in an area where there are a lot of days with light winds i would consider the pro. I would think in a place like England where they get a lot of cloudy days the standard would work real well. Maybe up north where the solar energy isn't as strong as down here it might even out. There are still a lot of questions to be answered in the long run but my results look pretty good for the area i live in. I like how fast the humidity response is compared to the fars, i have seen the pro drop 5 to 6% before the fars went down.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #263 on: August 08, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »
Well I might change my order to 1 pro shield if 31 will fit and just leave the 7714 at windy remote site. Not sure standard is any better anyway from your results.

Randy

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
    • Fairfield Weather Station
« Reply #264 on: August 08, 2018, 08:20:45 PM »
A man with a thermometer knows what the temperature is. A man with two thermometers is never sure.  :idea:

=D> :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that! I've never heard it before..and I have been laughing about it all day.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #265 on: August 08, 2018, 08:44:18 PM »
I fits all i did was put a small piece of paper over the sensor and a piece of tape to secure it to keep any sawing dust out of the sensor then i turned it over and all the area that is covered over by davis is left intact and i just used the edge of the black goop as a guide an sawed off the unused portion of the board to the right and took the 1/8 inch off the side where the cable is attached. You still have one mounting hole left on that side if you need to use it in a davis setup but you lose the hole for one side of the davis filter.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #266 on: August 09, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
Just got through setting up my rm young shield with my calibrated digital meter with probe and comparing it to the pro. First it's too hot to stand out by the shields and do it lol. But i quickly found out trying to use the console to measure with is nuts, update is too slow. I have a modified hand held temp/humidity meter that reads the sht sensor in real time. So with that in hand and a extension cable to run the sensor over to the hand held meter and light winds at times to 6 to 8 mph i began my slowly melting from the heat test. The real time reading makes it a little hard to do a direct comparison because the sensor itself updates the data about every 3 seconds. The temp was running around 90 degrees with winds of 7 mph and when the wind laid the rmy rose to 91.2 and the pro 90.4 then the wind picked up and the rmy dropped to 88.9 while the pro dropped to 89.4 and was going down slowly and then with wind again the they were both showing around 90.2 for a while. I was surprised to see the industry standard shield with heavy air flow go up over a degree when the winds were about 1 mph and how quickly it fell when the winds picked back up. Even the high dollar rmy is dependent on the wind blowing, heck acted more like the pro and how it handles wind. This is the first time i made a direct comparison like that. I could not believe that with the high air flow of the rmy that it would be so wind speed dependent. Heck that 1 degree swing was more than the pro showed. Maybe the pro being designed for low wind speed made the difference. Very interesting test to say the least.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #267 on: August 09, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »
As much as you like testing Jerry you should own the envoy8x and get another data logger.
With that setup all you need is several ISS units and you have all the information on computer. The envoy8x is no longer made but several sellers still have in stock. It's my favorite for looking at multiple stations and will export directly to excel and make nice graphs. 

Oh almost forgot, Thanks to you guys that determined with a little trim jop the 31 would fit inside the pro shield,  changed my order to include 1 pro station.  \:D/
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #268 on: August 09, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »
If anyone else ordered a meteoshield shield they are being shipped to customers north American today.
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #269 on: August 09, 2018, 03:11:06 PM »
Too much testing lol but man with the temp up to 95 and light winds pretty rough hanging around outside and got too much money tied up in this stuff already. We finally got a day of sunshine and at times light winds and when the winds are almost calm the difference shows up between the pro and standard but it really doesn't take much wind to get them close. Since the test with the rm young surprised me i am seriously thinking about mounting the temp. probe inside a davis shield and see if the wind has the same results on temp variations. Curiosity makes this testing tough lol.

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2018, 03:44:54 PM »

Earlier this week I received and set up the Davis 7714 shield with a 31 sensor. It's about 8ft away and 1.5ft lower than my FARS (whose intake is at 5' 2").

This is the 3rd calm, sunny day in a row. Temps in the 70s mainly. Winds <3mph (~1 m/s) at 30ft (virtually calm at ground level).   

I put some data into a spreadsheet and found that around solar noon the difference between the two shields averages around 3-3.5F, sometimes 4F or more (passive sensor running higher). Overall, the average daytime difference is about 2-2.5F. The only time the shields are within 1F during the midday and afternoon is when heavy clouds pass overhead.

The height differential between the shields may play some role. However, raising the shield to 5ft won't produce much additional wind because the measurement location (like so many backyard weather stations) is hemmed in by taller structures on multiple sides.

Overnight lows are a bit lower (0.5 - 1F) on clear nights in the 7714, but not enough to balance out the false highs. On nights when skies are cloudy and winds are greater than 3mph, the shields run within 0.5F of each other (within sensor's margin of error).

This is about the same performance as I was getting from the stock VP2 passive shield mounted in the same location. I'm hopeful, with just a bit more wind coming from a prevailing direction (rather than a sheltered direction), the 7714 will outperform the stock passive shield. Unfortunately, those conditions have yet to happen. And there's no end in sight to the days with 10m winds at or below 5mph.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:10:19 PM by openvista »
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #271 on: August 09, 2018, 03:50:10 PM »
Those tiny SF2  filters came in so wanted to practice installing with bad 31 sensor. Filter slid slightly no room for any error and ended up getting glue on 31.  ](*,)  Good thing it was a bad already.

Enough of that, going with original :idea:
Much safer method for me, just cut corner of stock Davis filter and using the universal eco glue supertite was able to safely add filter nice and tight as good as stock without the bulky filter body.  Just ran small bead of glue (not thick) and works great. No smell or damaging chemicals with this glue and drys fast.

Doing a humidity test now. This was one of reconditioned 96% sensors just want to make sure it still reaches. It will be a spare for any of the passive shields if needed.

Something else for cutting these Davis sensor boards down if you have a set of metal tin snips very fast and clean cuts.
Randy

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #272 on: August 09, 2018, 03:52:41 PM »
As of now (3:50PM EDT), about 2 hours after solar noon (1:55PM local time), winds average 2mph at 10m, skies are clear. FARS temp: 69.1 & 7714 temp: 73.1. This is typical of what I've been seeing and may even worsen in late afternoon when the sun angle is more directly focused on the western side of the passive shield.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:54:49 PM by openvista »
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #273 on: August 09, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »
Those tiny SF2  filters came in so wanted to practice installing with bad 31 sensor. Filter slid slightly no room for any error and ended up getting glue on 31.  ](*,)  Good thing it was a bad already.

Enough of that, going with original :idea:
Much safer method for me, just cut corner of stock Davis filter and using the universal eco glue supertite was able to safely add filter nice and tight as good as stock without the bulky filter body.  Just ran small bead of glue (not thick) and works great. No smell or damaging chemicals with this glue and drys fast.

Doing a humidity test now. This was one of reconditioned 96% sensors just want to make sure it still reaches. It will be a spare for any of the passive shields if needed.

Something else for cutting these Davis sensor boards down if you have a set of metal tin snips very fast and clean cuts.
I just wrapped a thin braided wire around mine and cinched it down. With the rubbery base, I'm confident I have a waterproof seal. Now, whether I need that or not.....

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #274 on: August 09, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »
As of now (3:50PM EDT), about 2 hours after solar noon (1:55PM local time), winds average 2mph at 10m, skies are clear. FARS temp: 69.1 & 7714 temp: 73.1. This is typical of what I've been seeing and may even worsen in late afternoon when the sun angle is more directly focused on the western side of the passive shield.
FARS rule. :-P ;)