Author Topic: Super moon  (Read 5805 times)

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
Super moon
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:07:52 PM »
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Super moon
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »
I would look to see what Jim O. Berkland has to say.

I read the book about him.  http://www.calorey.com/Earthquakes.html
Great stuff-talks about the same things I do about barometers.

This is his forum.  http://www.syzygyjob.com/

He predicted the 1989 SF earthquake. He uses the same types of info to predict what will happen.

I wouldn't say it is all true and possible-but he gives some good evidence.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »
(It should be noted that astrology is not a real science, but merely makes connections between astronomical and mystical events.)

Thanks, Ms. Wolchover for your editorial insertion.  I was worried about the fact that I'm really a Taurus, and not a Gemini due to the moon's pull on the earth.  I guess I can relax.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:38:09 PM »
   No disasters from the "super" Moon.  It was supposed to be a disaster when the planets lined up.  Nothing happened. The Sun holds something like 99% of the matter in our Solar system.  Jupiter holds a large proportion of the rest. The Moon is basicly a speck of dust in comparison.  
   These things are great fun though except when some people sell all their belongings in anticipation of the "end".  It always reminds me of the times way back (1910) when people bought "anti-Halleys" Comet pills (1$ each) because everyone thought the comets tail was deadly poisonous and everyone on Earth was going to be gassed. The good old days. Maybe I could sell  "anti-super Moon" helmets on e-bay.  Any investors? ;) They say that chaos will ensue when the Moon goes "super-Moon.  How will they be able to tell? #-o
Thanks for posting this article.  I had not read much about it and that was a good article.
       Mark
EDIT ADDITION:  While the Moon is a small object it does of course have significant effects on Earth.  But it would have to come closer than this event to have disastrous effects.  Life would be impossible on Earth without the Moon so it is not an insignificant object.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:41:25 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:15:20 PM »
Even though the moon's only at 36%, someone's gonna blame the 8.9 Japan quake on it...

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 09:44:45 PM »
Whew! Get an 8.9 magnitude from only 36%! Can you imagine what would have come out of this if the moon were full? :shock:

Offline scottm

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 09:49:19 PM »
Its not the moons fault, Blame either global warming or George Bush, or that hippie drum circle at the mall.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 10:25:02 PM »
I don't think the moon is to blame for this one.  Not close enough yet.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »
Tomorrow is the day! I'm interested to see if anything will happen in conjunction to the super moon.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 11:16:06 AM »
1. Let's hope not.

2. Many quakes/volcanoes happen a few days after the full moon. wait until Sunday.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »
1. Let's hope not.

2. Many quakes/volcanoes happen a few days after the full moon. wait until Sunday.

I truly hope nothing at all occurs, but what if something does?  Will it just be written off as coincidence?  Astrologers have tied many of the past catastrophic events to various astronomical reasons, but the critics say that just about everything that happens can somehow be tied to a certain reason beyond explanation.  For instance, the Haitian earthquake occurred during one of the super moon phases (the last day I believe), and the Japan earthquake on March 11th has been tied to the alignment of the Earth, Sun and Comet Elenin.  As a matter of fact, this one girl actually predicted an earthquake in 2008 to happen on March 11, 2011 because of this alignment and is now predicting something much larger to happen around the September 27th to October 15th time frame since Comet Elenin will pass VERY close to the Earth...between the Sun and Earth.  Some even say the Sun will be blacked out for 3 days.  Some even say it'll look like we have 2 suns.  Crazy stuff!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:11:59 PM by skysummit »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 12:21:01 PM »
1. Let's hope not.

I truly hope nothing at all occurs, but what if something does?  Will it just be written off as coincidence?  Astrologers have tied many of the past catastrophic events to various astronomical reasons, but the critics say that just about everything that happens can somehow be tied to a certain reason beyond explanation.  For instance, the Haitian earthquake occurred during one of the super moon phases (the last day I believe), and the Japan earthquake on March 11th has been tied to the alignment of the Earth, Sun and Comet Elenin.  As a matter of fact, this one girl actually predicted an earthquake in 2008 to happen on March 11, 2011 because of this alignment and is now predicting something much larger to happen around the September 27th to October 15th time frame since Comet Elenin will pass VERY close to the Earth...between the Sun and Earth.  Some even say the Sun will be blacked out for 3 days.  Some even say it'll look like we have 2 suns.  Crazy stuff!

Scott it all comes down to what someone believes. If you an astrologer then yes you will connect the dots. If you are a geologist then probably not.
It's all relative to what one believes.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 12:51:48 PM »
1. Let's hope not.

Scott it all comes down to what someone believes. If you an astrologer then yes you will connect the dots. If you are a geologist then probably not.
It's all relative to what one believes.

Yup.  Now, if something big happens in the next 2 or 3 days, I'll be leaning more toward the astrology side LOL

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 09:56:21 AM »
   This picture of the "Super-Perigee Moon" rising over Washington DC, was in my NASA news-digest this morning.
      Mark

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
Better photog than me.  I took a number of pix.  Got a couple of good ones showing the detail on the moon, but because it was so bright I had to crank down the f-stop (actually up in numbers) and increase the speed.  So lost all detail in the foreground.  I guess I could overlay the two pix.  It was high enough that it was the sort of brown rising moon. 

My goal was to have my ISS in foreground, and big moon in background. 

I could shop it, but still wouldnt look anything like the white house pic.

Andrew

This picture of the "Super-Perigee Moon" rising over Washington DC, was in my NASA news-digest this morning.
      Mark

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 03:11:52 PM »
Better photog than me.  I took a number of pix.  Got a couple of good ones showing the detail on the moon, but because it was so bright I had to crank down the f-stop (actually up in numbers) and increase the speed.  So lost all detail in the foreground.  I guess I could overlay the two pix.  It was high enough that it was the sort of brown rising moon. 
My goal was to have my ISS in foreground, and big moon in background. 
I could shop it, but still wouldnt look anything like the white house pic.
Andrew
      Mark
   Much better than me too. I tried to take 4 or 5 pictures but just got a big blob.
I just am not yet familiar enough with my camera to take a picture with such a high contrast between the bright Moon and the dark-sky.  I do much better taking pictures of the Moon with my telescope.
   Mark

Offline tbern

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »
all we have had the last few days is clouds, so we never even got "mooned"  :sad:

Offline Aquatic

• Forecaster
    • http://skofjaloka-trnje.zevs.si
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »
My photos of the moon. It is not full moon, but is still big.

Davis Vantage Pro2
Slovenia, Europe

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 06:40:56 PM »
Mine didnt turn out so hot.

Funny, my infinity focus needs to be dialed back.  Just to the right side of the symbol, dont think I adjusted enough.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »
It did look pretty cool through the telescope though. I dont have the camera attachment though.  Wow it was bright, actually hurt my eye it was so intense. Could not look too long.

Andrew

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:07 PM »
Andrew,
   Get yourself a polarizing filter or, some call it a Moon filter, for observing the Moon when it is full, or anytime it is bright.  It was a great relief when I got one.
Opened the Moon up to much more observation.
     Mark
It did look pretty cool through the telescope though. I dont have the camera attachment though.  Wow it was bright, actually hurt my eye it was so intense. Could not look too long.
Andrew
Aquatic, your pictures are, as usual, fantastic. You are a "maestro" with the camera.
    Mark

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 12:00:37 AM »
I have to say, when I looked at it last week, I did not see a huge difference in size
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

anything