Author Topic: Default Temperature Units  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Ghhoyl

Default Temperature Units
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:00:36 PM »
I'm accessing Weather Underground on Chrome for MAC. My default temperature unit has been C but recently it switches to F. It won't stay on C. What to do?

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Re: Default Temperature Units
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 05:15:56 PM »
What to do?  Sigh and move along.  Their backend systems have been screwed up for at least four months now and usually don't "remember" selections like that.  Nobody at WU cares so it will never be fixed.

Here's the reply I got when I asked about it in their API outage topic...

Q: "Does this mean you're also fixing all of the other website issues, like "favorites" and page preferences not being saved and all the radar page problems?  Those have been going on for months."

A: "That is different and the web team has been working on it"

In reality, there is no "web team".
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 05:19:02 PM by WSWeather »

Offline Ghhoyl

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 06:50:28 AM »
WU never answered my query! Public Relations Index = 0

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 07:44:06 AM »
WU never answered my query! Public Relations Index = 0

As WSWeather says, there is no "web team". There are at least a dozen IT/Programming currently open at WU. All of the ones who knew anything there are gone. Jumped ship as it were. The ones' left either are so overworked they do not know which way is up and/or care, or have no clue as to what's going on.

Best bet would be to find another reliable source of weather information.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »
Did they jump ship, or were they made to walk the plank to make room for an outsourced team?

Offline zroger73

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:04:17 PM »
What to do?  Sigh and move along.  Their backend systems have been screwed up for at least four months now and usually don't "remember" selections like that.  Nobody at WU cares so it will never be fixed.

Here's the reply I got when I asked about it in their API outage topic...

Q: "Does this mean you're also fixing all of the other website issues, like "favorites" and page preferences not being saved and all the radar page problems?  Those have been going on for months."

A: "That is different and the web team has been working on it"

In reality, there is no "web team".

At least you got a reply! I've been periodically contacting them for over a year now regarding broken status updates. I've yet to receive a reply.

Offline Dr__Bob

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 01:09:21 PM »
I'm guessing that they've decided to really take their name to heart, and they've all gone underground.  There is really no other excuse for the crappy state of their "service".  I agree that it is "free", in that they take my data and sometimes give me something in return.  Lately they haven't been giving much in return.  Alas, I have a weather station (WS-1001) that is kind of tied into WU.  There is a weewx driver for it, which I've been using for a few months.  I suppose that I should set it up to use some other pws.  Too bad, as I'll lose my WU history, as if I could access it.  WU was nice while it worked.  It just doesn't anymore.  From the units issue (mine is stuck on degrees C), to Wundermap just crashing (at least on iOS 11) to Wunderstation reporting 0" of rain yesterday, when I can easily see that we got 0.4" yesterday when I scroll the display, to who knows what else is broken on their servers... 

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 12:23:28 AM »
I'm guessing that they've decided to really take their name to heart, and they've all gone underground.  There is really no other excuse for the crappy state of their "service".  I agree that it is "free", in that they take my data and sometimes give me something in return.  Lately they haven't been giving much in return.  Alas, I have a weather station (WS-1001) that is kind of tied into WU.  There is a weewx driver for it, which I've been using for a few months.  I suppose that I should set it up to use some other pws.  Too bad, as I'll lose my WU history, as if I could access it.  WU was nice while it worked.  It just doesn't anymore.  From the units issue (mine is stuck on degrees C), to Wundermap just crashing (at least on iOS 11) to Wunderstation reporting 0" of rain yesterday, when I can easily see that we got 0.4" yesterday when I scroll the display, to who knows what else is broken on their servers...

They get alot more out of it then you do - not only do they get advertising revenue from the ads, but they sell the aggregated data of your weather station and everyone elses.

Its an example of poor management who have "squeezed the orange too much" - and now the entire service suffers because they dont want to spend any money and just want profit - typical BS done by executives today.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline Felix1

• PhD Engineering Physics
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 10:20:48 AM »
@I've yet to receive a reply.

Really? I used to get replies from "William" but haven't for the past several months. Don't know if he's now gone or just finally said 'screw it' since everything appeared to be going downhill fast.

But now Sean and Bill are putting a public face on the problems and seem to be part of a new team with a mission to solve things although we don't yet know the extent of their resources to implement any identified fixes. Unclear though, at least to me, is whether this "team" is made up of folks from The Weather Channel Companies or IBM or the old Weather Underground or maybe an outsourced group of troubleshooters given the lengthy list of open Weather Underground IT and programming positions on the professional jobs sites.