Author Topic: Thinking of Switching from WeatherCat  (Read 7137 times)

Offline Naby

Thinking of Switching from WeatherCat
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:16:06 PM »
I've been using WeatherCat for about six months since getting the USB data logger for my Davis Vantage Pro2. Ever since I started using WeatherCat I've had an issue where the software stops receiving data from my console. When I try to restart the software it hangs up. The only solution is to restart my computer which requires me to power cycle it to get it to restart. I've been in contact with the folks at WeatherCat but so far the issue is not resolved. They've been very quick to respond by the way. It may not even be the software but trying a different program may be the next step for me. It's sounds the like the three other software options are Weather Display, WeatherSnoop, and WeatherTracker. All I really want from software is the ability to archive data and to be able to upload to wunderground and CWOP. All three of these have free trials. Which one seems to be the most stable or seems to work the best with a Vantage Pro2?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Naby

Re: Thinking of Switching from WeatherCat
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 02:43:57 PM »
I received an email that DougW replied but there's no reply?

Any opinions or thoughts on my question?

Chris

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 04:08:36 PM »
The post may have been deleted by the author after the notification was sent, so there's no reply visible in the thread.

I've been running WeatherCat and WeatherSnoop as part of the test environment for the template sets.  Of the two,
WeatherCat provides much more in weather variables available to the website, and graphs.  I run Weather-Display (PC/Win) for my main site (and have for years), but I have no experience with it on the Mac -- it does provide the most weather variables and statistics of the three.

Hope this helps...

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Naby

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »
The post may have been deleted by the author after the notification was sent, so there's no reply visible in the thread.

I've been running WeatherCat and WeatherSnoop as part of the test environment for the template sets.  Of the two,
WeatherCat provides much more in weather variables available to the website, and graphs.  I run Weather-Display (PC/Win) for my main site (and have for years), but I have no experience with it on the Mac -- it does provide the most weather variables and statistics of the three.

Hope this helps...

Best regards,
Ken

Thanks for the info. Are there any conflicts when you try to run more that one piece of software on one computer?

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
Running more than one weather software simultaneously is tricky.  With the old-style (pre green-dot) loggers, PC/Win users could use VirtualVP software (along with a suitable null-modem COM port emulator) to provide 4 Serial (COM) and 4 TCP/IP connections that weather software could use and think they each 'own' the Davis logger connection.

With the green-dot/later loggers, the VirtualVP won't work as it doesn't have the encryption handshake needed.

For MAC-native, I'm not aware of any software available at present to allow more than one weather software to operate at a time.  :(

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Naby

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:55:42 AM »
Running more than one weather software simultaneously is tricky.  With the old-style (pre green-dot) loggers, PC/Win users could use VirtualVP software (along with a suitable null-modem COM port emulator) to provide 4 Serial (COM) and 4 TCP/IP connections that weather software could use and think they each 'own' the Davis logger connection.

With the green-dot/later loggers, the VirtualVP won't work as it doesn't have the encryption handshake needed.

For MAC-native, I'm not aware of any software available at present to allow more than one weather software to operate at a time.  :(

Best regards,
Ken

Thanks. I was just curious if I trialed another software if I could keep WeatherCat running at the same time.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 04:47:24 PM »
I unfortunately switched to  an iMac, I think because it was an all inone and all that stuff.   Used weatherdisplay almost exclusively.  The part that I miss in software is the PC version of Weatherdisplay as I could get a lot of information regarding my extra transcievers and graph it, great data nd all that.

I am seeing that with a OSx software that it is  a whole different elephant.   in the mean time until either I get a PC or that WD is more compatible, Weather Cat is probably the best out there.  I couldn't get Weathersnoop to work , I am guessing it is the OS , El Capitan  that causes heaaches.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 02:44:22 AM »
I unfortunately switched to  an iMac, I think because it was an all inone and all that stuff.   Used weatherdisplay almost exclusively.  The part that I miss in software is the PC version of Weatherdisplay as I could get a lot of information regarding my extra transcievers and graph it, great data nd all that.

I am seeing that with a OSx software that it is  a whole different elephant.   in the mean time until either I get a PC or that WD is more compatible, Weather Cat is probably the best out there.  I couldn't get Weathersnoop to work , I am guessing it is the OS , El Capitan  that causes heaaches.
My 4 year old mac mini runs Weathercat and Fusion plus a scheduler plus my screencapture programs.
Fusion runs VVP , 3 PC weather-programs, fling upload, ftp server and some more.

So your imac could easily run Weathercat next to a PC emulator (Fusion or another one) and WD
If you do not want to run any other Mac Weather-program you do not need VVP and can run Fusion + WD.

Probably you still have windows7 around from your old PC. If so, Fusion will probably cost less then 80$ and you are back in full WD-business again.

Wim

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 09:27:44 AM »
Well,   I don't run any weather program 24/7 anymore, since we got the IP version to play nice with your templates.  As long as the modem is working we are fine.

The wife is still working on her PC/Visa and hopefully will up grade to a new machine.  At that point, I will put on her old machine WeatherDisplay and Blue Iris . The major problem is finding a place to put it.  U

Offline Bayoubear

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 06:17:11 PM »
I was running the Davis software on a windows machine and weather cat on my Mac

every 10 days because of a conflict data would stop getting sent to WU

I turned off the Davis software and everything has been perfect for 6 months

anything