Author Topic: Setting up Vantage Vu  (Read 6888 times)

Offline FireWeather955

Setting up Vantage Vu
« on: November 27, 2013, 04:54:14 PM »
So years ago when I got my Weather Monitor II I drove myself nuts trying to get my weather data up to the internet via Windows emulation software, Virtual Weather Station and my Mac. Fast forward to last week when we had a wind storm hit Northern California and my WMII recorded a 50+ wind gust for the first time in the 10 years I have had the weather station. The next day after a power outage, my WMII quit working.

I just finished installing a new Vantage Vu station and could not be happier with the wireless connectivity and data available compared to the WM II.

So I am looking for any suggestions on getting my station uploading to the internet so I can view my data when away from home, share with NOAA or anyone else who cares. After reading some of the threads here, I am thinking I need to get the Davis WeatherLink IP and WeatherSnoop.

1. Ideally I would like to view current weather on my laptop and not have it connected to the weather station.
2. I would like to view my past data/archives on my laptop.
3. Can I have Weathersnoop on my laptop and view live data that is uploaded to the internet then downloaded to WeatherSnoop?
4. Or Should WeatherSnoop be running on a home computer directly connected to my Vantage Vu console?
5. I really am not interested in "tweaking" or "customizing" software like I had to do to get Virtual Weather Station in order to get it running and looking the way I want, I'm getting old and impatient.
6. I am totally dissapointed in Davis Instruments after seeing the same interface on their WeatherLink software after all these years.
6. Does this make sense or am I missing something?

Thanks for any thoughts on all this, Keith

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Setting up Vantage Vu
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »
Take a look at the "Weatherbridge" at Ambient Weather.
http://www.ambientweather.com/weatherbridge.html

It runs "Meteobridge" http://www.meteobridge.com
It was easy to set up (the Weatherbridge, the Meteobridge on the TP-LinkTL-MR3020 is more involved).
I have the Weatherbridge running on a VUE console (VP2 sensors) and it works great.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline FireWeather955

Re: Setting up Vantage Vu
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »
Weatherbridge looks good! I just ordered the Davis data logger and WeatherSnoop from Ambient so I can get started. After some consideration, I'd like to save my data to our desktop and WeatherSnoop was reasonably priced plus I can upload to Weatherunderground. I will likely add Weatherbridge later so if the computer is not running, I will still be able to upload data.

Maybe a dumb question but bare with me. If using Weatherlink IP or Weatherbridge, is there software that can run on any computer on your home network that can grab your weather data from the station wirelessly since it is going through your router? Sorry, I am not very networking savvy.

anything