Author Topic: Mac specific Data Logger Discussion  (Read 9559 times)

Offline Marz

• B&B in the French Pyrenees
Mac specific Data Logger Discussion
« on: May 31, 2013, 05:56:32 AM »
Not really a software question, but very Mac oriented none the less:

Giving the lack of DIY loggers for the most recent Vantage Stations, I am considering my options:

Weatherlink IP or Weatherlink USB Mac?

I can come up with one reason to go for the WLIP, it would allow for a (much) longer cable, so the console could stay downstairs and I could run a cable to my upstairs office to connect it to my router. But than again the price difference of more than 100 euro would almost allow me to get an extra console and hook that up to my iMac with a USB cable...

Any thoughts?

PS Are there any differences between the Windows and the Mac version of the USB logger other than the supplied software (which i'm not going to use)

[split off from Mac Weather Software thread - smorris]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:45:00 AM by smorris »
Davis Vantage Vue
WeatherCat / Weatherlink USB Mac

Offline smorris

• Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
Mac specific Data Logger Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
Weather Display, WeatherCat, WeatherSnoop, and wview all support Davis serial, USB, and IP loggers.

I've been using the WeatherLink USB for Mac logger since installing my system September 2011, and have had no problems. I only tried WeatherSnoop and Weather Display for a short time, but WeatherCat (and its predecessor LWC) has been running 24/7 just fine.

I don't know if there is a physical difference between the Mac and Windows USB logger. I've read where you can convert one to the other, but I've also read you don't have to. I do know that two people on the old LWC forum tried DIY loggers and had intermittent and mixed success, and I think both ended up getting Davis loggers.

Steve
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:36:55 PM by smorris »
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Mac specific Data Logger Discussion
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
WD MAC does support the IP data logger
the latest WD Mac is getting great feedback
(low cpu use, stable memory use, etc)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline smorris

• Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 05:37:50 PM »
Thanks Brian! I've updated my post above to reflect your comment.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline Marz

• B&B in the French Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 05:54:30 AM »
Given the present lack of a DIY "green-dot" cable, combined with my total lack of patience in these matters. I have decided to go for an overpriced original Davis USB datalogger/cable for the Mac. It works great with WeatherCat, and supposedly also with Weater Display and others, but I haven't tried that myself yet.

The provided Davis "software" is horrendous, they make great hardware, but remind me of Garmin on the software front. Eventually even Garmin made it to the 21st century after plaguing (Mac) users for years with vaporware. So maybe there is hope for Davis to get their act together on software too... (not sure though, :grin:)

Thanks your input.
Davis Vantage Vue
WeatherCat / Weatherlink USB Mac

Offline McQ

• Crotchety Old Dumb Guy Enjoying Retirement, CODGER
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 09:43:32 PM »
I have semi-successfully ported the Davis Vantage Vue from the living room on a MacBook Air running OSX 10.8.4 to an older MacMini running OSX 6.8, not upgradeable to OSX 7 or higher.  I have a trial version of Weather Cat installed on the MacMini, because WeatherSnoop won't run on the older Mac.  I wouldn't mind so much if I hadn't purchased WeatherSnoop.   :roll:  (I have a request in for an older version that might run on the MM.)

Weather Cat went up pretty easily.  I did run into all the same problems trying to get the Davis WeatherLink software to run even with the updated UART file.  ](*,)  I gave up and ran Weather Cat which eventually found the port/station even though I was getting "unable to find" messages.

I have Wunderground and CWOP updating properly and now have only to get WeatherBug up and I'll be back where I was on the laptop at the start of the day (sans WeatherSnoop.)  There are pre-formatted entries for Wunderground and CWOP  but there isn't one for WeatherBug.  Is there a way to link Weather Cat to WeatherBug?  If so, how???

Thanks,
Fran McHugh
Winslow, AZ
Winslow, AZ
CWOP: EW3031
WU:     KAZWINSL3
Davis Vantage Vue
WeatherSnoop V. 2.2.5

Offline smorris

• Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:56:03 PM »
Is there a way to link Weather Cat to WeatherBug?  If so, how???

There is, using a set of AppleScripts (see http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=235.0) However, if you wait a week or so, the current beta of version 1.2 that I'm using has just added built in plugins for WeatherBug, the UK Met Office WOW program, PWS Weather, and OpenWeatherMap. There are already templates to send data to AWEKAS and Ken's Weather Network. There was an automated Twitter feed, but that broke with Twitter's recent change. The author of the AppleScript that sends the data is working on fixing it.

Guess you shoulda tried the free trial of WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat, and Weather Display before purchasing to be sure what works for you. Is your Mac mini an Intel version or Power PC? Only WeatherCat 1.1 works on a Power PC model. All subsequent versions will require Intel models.

Steve
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:00:40 PM by smorris »
Steve - Avon, Ohio