Author Topic: VP2 console backlight question ** Resolved **  (Read 11156 times)

Offline DA270

Re: VP2 console backlight question
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2017, 12:23:07 PM »
Thank you!

And I totally understand your unwillingness to accept a "used, work-around non-solution."

Suggestion:  you might find that Ryan would be of assistance in communicating your thoughts to Davis.

Yes sir! Yes, I plan on contacting Ryan. I'm traveling the rest of today and will get back to all of this Monday.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2017, 04:55:38 PM »
It appears that I said something that was annoying.  I apologize.

Offline TheSwami

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
word must be out on some of these.  I didn't have to go through the firmware update or troubleshooting.  They spoke with the engineers and are just going to RMA this one out after I get another. 

I did make sure to specifically note I was expecting a brand new one (sorry DA270) and not refurbed/etc.  New for new.
Mentioned that the early evidence looks like a hardware problem with the AZ models, and was I getting another one of those?  He didn't know, but they swear the one they ship me will be a) new and b) not have this issue.

so we'll see.  Hopefully there's an unopened AY lying around somewhere.  i'm guardedly optimistic.  will update when it gets here.  may be a while as it's coming from one coast to the other.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2017, 12:24:46 AM »
i've been looking for some Davis corporate information but haven't been able to come up with any names, so far. However, here is a link to some info that will get you to their corporate headquarters. It may be another avenue for you to pursue and voice your displeasure with Davis Support and their actions:
I find it very disturbing that they sent you a "refurbished" console to replace your "new" console. That is totally unacceptable, IMHO.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2017, 12:46:56 AM »
i've been looking for some Davis corporate information but haven't been able to come up with any names, so far. However, here is a link to some info that will get you to their corporate headquarters. It may be another avenue for you to pursue and voice your displeasure with Davis Support and their actions:
I find it very disturbing that they sent you a "refurbished" console to replace your "new" console. That is totally unacceptable, IMHO.

Here ya go!  https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/Document/RetrievePDF The 2016 filing is |no change| so the officers are the same.  As for a refurb, yeah that sucks - but well within their legal rights.

EDIT:  You have to search and then retrieve the PDF for Davis via https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/CBS/SearchResults?SearchType=CORP&SearchCriteria=Davis+Instruments&SearchSubType=Keyword
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:48:49 AM by Bushman »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2017, 12:57:47 AM »
Thanks Bushman! I had found that same name (JAMES S ACQUISTAPACE) but it only showed a date in 1965 and I figured he most likely wasn't still the CEO/President but I guess I was wrong. They are a private company and only have between 50 and 200 employees with an annual revenue stream of around $33Million.

If it were me, I'd write him a personal letter and ask him to give me a hand resolving this issue in a reasonable manner. Being polite is the best way to get a positive result in these kinds of situations.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline btw-nc

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »
I just installed my new station today.  AZ code; backlight remains on.  Purchased from Scaled.
Davis 6153 24HR FARS, in service 18MAR2017

Offline TheSwami

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2017, 08:22:57 PM »
that's some good news.  gives me hope for an AZ/new model fix that might actually work.  TBA!  i'll post results when it arrives, if it was new, and what model number it is...

Offline DA270

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2017, 07:58:53 PM »
Kudos to Rosanna at Davis Instruments for an extraordinary customer experience!
Rosanna had a new VP2 console next day delivered to us, arranged for prepaid return shipping on the other two consoles, apologized for the inconvenience and followed up our phone conversation with a very pleasant email. She represented Davis Instruments in a very professional and courteous manor.

The new console works as it should. In my case it was a hardware issue that required the console to be exchanged. The backlight issue is resolved!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: VP2 console backlight question ** Resolved **
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »
 =D>

Offline btw-nc

« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »
Excellent!
Davis 6153 24HR FARS, in service 18MAR2017

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2017, 04:14:45 AM »
Just out of interest have you checked the firmware version on the new console?

Offline DA270

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2017, 06:53:52 AM »
Just out of interest have you checked the firmware version on the new console?

AZ170303051
FW 3.63

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2017, 12:45:38 AM »
Kudos to Rosanna at Davis Instruments for an extraordinary customer experience!
Rosanna had a new VP2 console next day delivered to us, arranged for prepaid return shipping on the other two consoles, apologized for the inconvenience and followed up our phone conversation with a very pleasant email. She represented Davis Instruments in a very professional and courteous manor.

The new console works as it should. In my case it was a hardware issue that required the console to be exchanged. The backlight issue is resolved!

That is great news! However, I think what is more important is that you have taken the time to publicly acknowledge that Davis did the right thing and in a professional manner to resolve your issue. My experiences with Davis support over the years is that they do the right thing and are an excellent organization to to business with.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »
I put the recent dates from this thread into Excel and came up with this:

Date Code Date Light issue?
AZ170303051 170303 N
AZ170216013 170216 Y
AZ170125064 170125 Y
AZ170118019 170118 Y

AY170106065 170106 N

This appears to have been a January/February production problem. Since they didn't roll the "AZ" prefix, I assume that this is not a design flaw and somebody left a part out. I suppose it could be a BOM issue with the initial release of AZ, then the Engineer could be blamed...  #-o

Greg H.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:44:41 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline TheSwami

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »
nice.  i'll report back Tuesday when I get my replacement with it's number and hopefully a 24/7 working backlight on AC power!

Offline TheSwami

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2017, 03:50:51 PM »
bam.  new console, backlight stays on with AC power now.  same 3.63FW, new AZ170306043.  Must have been a hardware type problem at least on my end from the Feb 2017 production run, as that's about the only thing different (was AZ0216013).

thanks all for the knowledge in the thread!!

Offline DA270

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2017, 08:15:04 AM »
bam.  new console, backlight stays on with AC power now.  same 3.63FW, new AZ170306043.  Must have been a hardware type problem at least on my end from the Feb 2017 production run, as that's about the only thing different (was AZ0216013).

thanks all for the knowledge in the thread!!

Great to hear!
Probably many of those consoles will never be returned. A lot users will not use that feature. My main concern when I discovered that defect was what else might be wrong that I haven't discovered. I'm glad we have new consoles!
As a side note, I think my console was the first reported case of that issue and that was why it did not go as smooth as I was expecting initially. All's well that ends well. Davis stands strong behind their products!  :!: :-)

Offline TheSwami

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »
I may have spoken too soon when I thought this was resolved.

the console works great now (back-light 24/7 is functional, which is all I ever wanted).

however, i'm more than a little upset they want me to pay the $15 to ship the defective unit back.  I'm not trying to rip anyone off and ask to keep it. 
I just don't see why I should have to pay Davis for their manufacturing hardware mistake coming off the assembly line that was clearly (to me anyway) missed in Quality Control testing. 

I don't agree with this policy either, but I could see doing so to send them a unit that stopped working right just because parts wore out faster than expected during a warranty.  But when it left the factory with this feature/part broken?!?!  Why is that the end-consumer's fault?

yeah it's minor, but when you pay $600 which is considerably more than the competition wants for their crappier products, you expect things to work. 
Part of that investment in Davis was for the company reputation for quality and customer service.  So I'm not real happy at all they're trying to nickel-and-dime me to avoid shipping their from-the-factory defective unit back to them.

I didn't complain when my replacement was sent out snail Ground from CA and took 7 days to get here.  I was simply happy to receive a working replacement with the feature I wanted.

Had I known this surprise was coming without a return prepaid label, I'd probably have complained.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2017, 03:29:05 PM »
Send it back collect. (COD)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »
You've been more that patient with Davis. I would suggest that you start working your way up the Davis Support management chain until you get someone who will do what is right for you. Call the support line and ask to speak with a supervisor. Keep going up that chain until you get the results you want. It may take you all the way to the CEO before you get those results. Make certain you keep your cool and stick with the facts. Also, get the full name and their contact information as you move up the chain. You may need that info as you take this journey. And lastly, keep a detailed record with date, times and conversations of all contacts on this issue.

Remember, your only goal is to get an RMA number and a pre-paid shipping label for the unit to be returned to Davis.

You'll need to have all correspondence you have had with Davis ready for reference before you make your first phone call.

Best of luck and please keep us updated on your progress.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »
You've been more that patient with Davis. I would suggest that you start working your way up the Davis Support management chain until you get someone who will do what is right for you. Call the support line and ask to speak with a supervisor. Keep going up that chain until you get the results you want. It may take you all the way to the CEO before you get those results. Make certain you keep your cool and stick with the facts. Also, get the full name and their contact information as you move up the chain. You may need that info as you take this journey. And lastly, keep a detailed record with date, times and conversations of all contacts on this issue.

Remember, your only goal is to get an RMA number and a pre-paid shipping label for the unit to be returned to Davis.

You'll need to have all correspondence you have had with Davis ready for reference before you make your first phone call.

Best of luck and please keep us updated on your progress.

As suggested by CW2274, contact the support supervisor, Brett Lane, 510 940 1850. He was responsive on a issue I had awhile back.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline DA270

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »
Call customer service  (800) 678-3669, not tech support. Politely explain the situation and they will take care of you. Rosanna was very professional and understanding of the situation with my console return. Good luck.

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2017, 05:13:28 PM »
I wouldn't do anything. I would wait for them to contact you about returning the defective console and tell them to send you a return label.
Billy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2017, 05:35:58 PM »
I wouldn't do anything. I would wait for them to contact you about returning the defective console and tell them to send you a return label.
Billy

Two wrongs make a right? A call to Rosanna in customer support sounds easier and might mitigate a negative effect on the Blood Pressure!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

anything