Author Topic: VP2 console backlight question ** Resolved **  (Read 11109 times)

Offline DA270

VP2 console backlight question ** Resolved **
« on: February 24, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »
On my previous VP2 console and according to the manual, if the console is AC powered the backlight will remain on until toggled off. My new one is timing out after 15 seconds and turning off even when powered by AC power. Is this a firmware revision or do I have a technical issue I need to look in to? TIA.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:59:26 PM by DA270 »

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: VP2 console backlight question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:00:45 PM »
Good question -- inquiring minds want to know...the rest of us are just nosey!

How "new/recent" is your VP2 console?
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline DA270

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
Good question -- inquiring minds want to know...the rest of us are just nosey!

How "new/recent" is your VP2 console?

I just bought it two weeks ago and it has an Aerocone, so very new. I will check the firmware version when I get home. It's not online yet.

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
Mine stays on. I had to calibrate the inside temp and humidity for the lamp staying on.
May want to check your power supply with a volt meter to be sure it's working and make sure it's plugged in all the way.
Billy

Offline DA270

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »
Mine stays on. I had to calibrate the inside temp and humidity for the lamp staying on.
May want to check your power supply with a volt meter to be sure it's working and make sure it's plugged in all the way.
Billy

Great suggestion! I'll check it when I get home.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »
Concur. Both my Vue and VP2 consoles get slightly brighter when plugging it in, look for this.

Offline DA270

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 06:57:04 PM »
Here's what I have.

The AC adapter output is measuring 5.04v DC on my multimeter.
The firmware check (DONE and +) reads: REV 3.63 (US) ENGLISH
AC adapter is firmly plugged in to console.

Backlight timeout after 15 seconds when plugged in to AC outlet.

:?:  :-k
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:58:44 PM by DA270 »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 08:53:24 PM »
Maybe a cold reboot might work unless someone else has a better idea. Remove the batteries from the console and disconnect the AC and wait a couple of minutes. Then reinstall batteries and connect AC. This assumes you have no important data in the console that you might miss. You also will likely have to reprogram much, if not all, of the data you previously entered into the console.

If this doesn't work, sounds like you may have a defective console. Call Davis and get a replacement, under warranty, since you bought it brand new, from an authorized dealer.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:35:41 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 09:38:30 PM »
Just wondering - are your console batteries OK?  [Yes, I realize it's a new unit].

The manual says:
"When battery power is low, the backlight does not light."

I know that doesn't make sense as the cause of your problem, but...........

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 12:13:26 AM »

As it happens I have a console newly purchased, from Scientific Sales within the month.  The firmware version reads the same as yours.

However mine kept the console light going for over 30 seconds before I cancelled it to avoid heating.  So clearly different from your observation.

I think most likely somehow power is not making it from your wall wart to the true internals of the device.  Just where along the path the connection is not made I lack a good reason to guess.

But I do think your behavior is clearly abnormal. 

If truly your console is actually running only on battery power, you may be able to observe the reported battery voltage to drop within just a day or two, especially if the batteries are extremely fresh.  You can observe the reported console battery voltage at the bottom of the first diagnostic screen (help down TEMP and press HUM to enter, press DONE to exit).

Also, though most of us may never do so, the unit in proper condition will operate on wall wart only, with no batteries installed.  If my guess that you are somehow running on battery power alone is correct, then if you remove the batteries altogether, you'd expect no display activity from the console in very short order.  If instead it still operates, then you have a somewhat fancier problem, but you still have a problem.

Personally, I have terrible difficulty getting C batteries in and out, and have resorted to a field expedient modification using diagonal cutters to make a little more room for escape near the button end of the battery compartment.

Offline DA270

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 12:21:49 AM »
Maybe a cold reboot might work unless someone else has a better idea. Remove the batteries from the console and disconnect the AC and wait a couple of minutes. Then reinstall batteries and connect AC. This assumes you have no important data in the console that you might miss. You also will likely have to reprogram much, if not all, of the data you previously entered into the console.

If this doesn't work, sounds like you may have a defective console. Call Davis and get a replacement, under warranty, since you bought it brand new, from an authorized dealer.

Just wondering - are your console batteries OK?  [Yes, I realize it's a new unit].

The manual says:
"When battery power is low, the backlight does not light."

I know that doesn't make sense as the cause of your problem, but...........

Both of these suggestions are good ones. So here's what I tried and what's happening.

I bought a fresh set of Duracell alkaline C batteries, removed the AC adapter and batteries from the console and let it sit powered down for about 30 minutes. I then installed the new batteries, waited for the console to completely reboot, applied AC power, walked through the setup, and did a clear all command. The backlight LEDs still timeout after 15 seconds.

To make sure the console is getting power from the AC adapter I then removed the AC adapter and batteries and let the console sit powered down for about 10 minutes. I then booted it up with NO batteries and just the AC adapter. Walked through setup and did a clear all command and ..... backlight still times out after 15 seconds running on the AC adapter only with no batteries installed!

Seems to me either firmware 3.63 has a bug or unpublished revision that prevents continuous backlighting or I have a defective console.  :roll:

Offline DA270

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 12:29:33 AM »

As it happens I have a console newly purchased, from Scientific Sales within the month.  The firmware version reads the same as yours.

However mine kept the console light going for over 30 seconds before I cancelled it to avoid heating.  So clearly different from your observation.

I think most likely somehow power is not making it from your wall wart to the true internals of the device.  Just where along the path the connection is not made I lack a good reason to guess.

But I do think your behavior is clearly abnormal. 

If truly your console is actually running only on battery power, you may be able to observe the reported battery voltage to drop within just a day or two, especially if the batteries are extremely fresh.  You can observe the reported console battery voltage at the bottom of the first diagnostic screen (help down TEMP and press HUM to enter, press DONE to exit).

Also, though most of us may never do so, the unit in proper condition will operate on wall wart only, with no batteries installed.  If my guess that you are somehow running on battery power alone is correct, then if you remove the batteries altogether, you'd expect no display activity from the console in very short order.  If instead it still operates, then you have a somewhat fancier problem, but you still have a problem.

Personally, I have terrible difficulty getting C batteries in and out, and have resorted to a field expedient modification using diagonal cutters to make a little more room for escape near the button end of the battery compartment.

Ha! I must have been typing my post above while you were posting this one. Thanks for the verification that firmware 3.63 is working properly. I must have a defective console(see my post above)!  :-(

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 08:22:15 AM »
Obviously, you need to call Davis support. They may have you troubleshoot on the phone, but you have already done that unless they have a "silver bullet" idea we haven't suggested! Let us know how things went and whether they had that "silver bullet," that we can remember and recommend for the next person. I have had very good luck with Davis over the years support wise, but from a cost perspective, the console is the most expensive component part in the VP2 station, so Davis will do everything possible to troubleshoot and fix on the phone rather than replace!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:46:26 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 08:59:24 AM »
Davis only has v3.15 on their website (this is what I have). I was hoping to see a change listing for this new v3.63. I wonder if they are going to roll it out as an update soon.

This must be to counteract the temperature rise for indoor, but sometimes I like to keep a couple of consoles illuminated. Is there some kind of setup option that this behavior can be changed?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline LarryKing

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »
Agree with Greg, could be an option to toggle it on and off somewhere
Try holding the 2nd button for 5 seconds or longer when using it to turn the lamps on

Offline DA270

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
I'll check with Davis tech support on Monday. Everything else seems to be working fine.

Offline DA270

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 10:24:26 PM »
Update: I emailed Davis tech support with details of what I (actually "we",  :lol:  thanks everyone for the suggestions) have tried doing to resolve the backlight issue and they replied with a firmware file (ver 3.64) to update to. It did not solve the problem. I'll let them know and see what's next. I thought it was interesting that there are two firmware versions not yet released on the Davis download site.

Offline Zeta30

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
DA270. I have the same model and Firmware as you and also have the exact issue with the backlight. I've been following this thread and am curious what the fix will be.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 08:23:49 AM »
Since archae86 and DA270 have recent consoles with the same firmware rev level, could you both post the "manufacturing code" on each? I am wondering if beyond the defect possibility, that some hardware revision was made.

Greg H.

p.s. you too, Zeta30...

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 08:43:54 AM »
could you both post the "manufacturing code" on each?
For mine, AY170106065.  So by the decoding scheme you point to mine carries a January 6, 2017 date.  And AY apparently is supposed to encode the hardware revision level.

Offline Zeta30

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 08:48:45 AM »
Since archae86 and DA270 have recent consoles with the same firmware rev level, could you both post the "manufacturing code" on each? I am wondering if beyond the defect possibility, that some hardware revision was made.

Greg H.

p.s. you too, Zeta30...

Mine is AZ170118019

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 08:53:20 AM »
A60202A28C

Maybe the oldest currently in use?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:12:36 AM by WheatonRon »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 10:25:27 AM »
A60202A28C

No, afraid not. We do come across 2004 VP2 consoles still in active use. I can't recall at this distance when production started - there are certainly some A412 consoles around, and conceivably A411, but whether Nov 2004 was the start I really don't remember.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 11:50:46 AM »
A60202A28C

No, afraid not. We do come across 2004 VP2 consoles still in active use. I can't recall at this distance when production started - there are certainly some A412 consoles around, and conceivably A411, but whether Nov 2004 was the start I really don't remember.

My second console is A50214A01 so it is a year older than my other!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 12:10:24 PM »
Update: I emailed Davis tech support with details of what I (actually "we",  :lol:  thanks everyone for the suggestions) have tried doing to resolve the backlight issue and they replied with a firmware file (ver 3.64) to update to. It did not solve the problem. I'll let them know and see what's next.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Of course, Davis support (quite properly) tried the first troubleshooting step.  But the fact that Zeta30 now tells us that he/she has the identical problem strongly suggests a problem with recent hardware.

anything