Author Topic: New 2902A connected - temperature graph looks jagged on WunderStation  (Read 792 times)

Offline mjgillen

Hello all! New to PWS and bought and setup a 2902A last night. Could not believe how easy that was to setup. Started getting data from Wunderground right away and love it.

However, the graph of my data (station KCASOLAN15) looks very jagged and not smooth like the other stations I see on the WunderStation app. When I click on the temperature graph I notice that my graph has a lot more graph points than the others and it seems to fluctuate a bit. Do I need to change my "upload interval" in the "awnet" app from the default 1 minute to something else? Is there a way to tell Wunderground to smooth out the graph or upload data less frequently?

Just looking for advice on settings etc to get better looking graphs.

Thanks!
Michael

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: New 2902A connected - temperature graph looks jagged on WunderStation
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 07:13:13 AM »
Your weather station is working perfectly fine. Those little peaks and dips in your graph are real valid data. You have better data than those other stations with less frequent uploads. The other stations have smoother graphs because they upload less frequently and they may do data averaging before uploads. I don't think data averaging is better. You can't change your upload frequency. Your station is not uploading at 1 minute intervals. Your station is uploading at 16 second intervals. You benefit that your WU dashboard view is more live, like your console. The 1 minute setting you might have seen is not for WU but instead that is for uploading to ambientweather.net. You don't want smooth graphs. Your graphs are better.

See this comparison that I did of another way of uploading with different hardware attached to the WS-2902A:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34976.0
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 07:55:32 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline mjgillen

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 10:23:31 AM »
Thank you galfert just what I was looking for!

Michael

Offline Rychu

• Contributor
  • Type of station: HP1001WiFi & WH2600IP (WS1400IP)
    • Check on-line measurements and forecasts of Gdansk in Poland
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 04:10:50 PM »
The 1 minute setting you might have seen is not for WU (...)

Let me complete it ;)

Your station_click sends data packets to the WU every 16s. WU accepts this data every 16s but calculates average values and archives them every 5minutes, that is, enter the table and shows on the charts. That's how it works.

5 minutes = 300s / 16s = 18.75 data packets within 5 minutes. The average data on the WU comes from 18 data packages.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:15:24 PM by Rychu »

anything