Author Topic: Weatherlink Live  (Read 17516 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weatherlink Live
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2019, 12:14:55 PM »
@Boldblue737: Why not just wait for a dry morning and make the changeover then?

Re losing existing data from a WLIP account: If it's a Pro account then what I'd do is to download all the archive data into a local of Weatherlink for Windows and then make sure that the set of .wlk files are archived safely somewhere. Then as and when Davis add the expected feature to upload old wlk files to wl.com accounts then you be able to restore your full archive. It may not be for eg 6-12 months yet but is expected to happen.

Re running the Android Weatherlink app on a Windows desktop (see previous post upthread), I tried the test today and it does not seem to pick up the LIVE data. A bit disappointing but not unexpected (unless there might be some potential tweak to Bluestacks that I don't know about).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 12:17:56 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »

It is not good enough to just wait for a dry morning. CWOP APRS protocol requires keeping track of previous 24 hours. Even if no rainfall since midnight it still has that other variable that is tracking previous 24 hours rainfall. So you have to wait a full 24 hours since last rainfall. Boldblue737 can still setup the WLL and configure weatherlink.com, but not move over CWOP to the new WLL weatherlink.com account.

Re running the Android Weatherlink app on a Windows desktop (see previous post upthread), I tried the test today and it does not seem to pick up the LIVE data. A bit disappointing but not unexpected (unless there might be some potential tweak to Bluestacks that I don't know about).

That is what I suspected. Bluestacks connects to the Internet with its own subnet so it can't see your local network devices. That is very similar to other virtual systems although with other virtual platforms you sometimes have to option to bridge the network. I don't see that option in Bluestacks.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:07:21 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2019, 01:06:06 PM »
Another option to run Android apps on a computer is to install Android Studio SDK. I don't know if you will face similar networking challenges or not. Maybe something to search answers for or to ask someone here that may be an app developer. Or just try it out.
Tele-Pole

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »
Sorry if I missed the point, but while running Android apps on a PC is cool, what are the inherent benefits vs. WL in a browser?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2019, 01:30:03 PM »
Sorry if I missed the point, but while running Android apps on a PC is cool, what are the inherent benefits vs. WL in a browser?

That is something that johnd is interested in for anticipation from his customers. The new WLL requires a Smartphone for setup and configuration. That might be an entry hurdle that some customers do not have. Also weatherlink.com is delayed and not LIVE which may be of interest to other people that want this information on a computer.

Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2019, 01:32:53 PM »
Johnd,
I found a solution possibly! I just tested NoxPlayer.
https://www.bignox.com/

It installs and works almost very similarly to Bluestacks.

With NoxPlayer you can bridge the network connection. I just tested it with some local network apps and I was able to see my local network devices. But by default the network bridge is not configured.

Follow these steps to bridge the network in NoxPlayer.
https://www.bignox.com/blog/new-feature-tutorial-set-bridge-connection-play-multiplayer-game-noxplayer-v5-2-0-0/
Tele-Pole

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2019, 01:41:56 PM »
The new WLL requires a Smartphone for setup and configuration. That might be an entry hurdle that some customers do not have. Also weatherlink.com is delayed and not LIVE ...
Ah, yes. That's why I was wondering earlier why the device doesn't offer the nowadays ubiquitous method of providing an initial AP mode for basic setup. And/or additionally the same thing via its ethernet hole. That doesn't work for everyone but with an easy to follow guide it can work. Or at least they could provide a small downloadable util that finds the device on the LAN by its MAC and registers it on WL after providing login info or something. Well, later, maybe. Though real time data is another matter...

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »
I found a solution possibly! I just tested NoxPlayer.

OK, many thanks, sounds interesting. I'll give it a try when I next get a chance - may be a day or two yet though - WLL is in the office and quite a lot of other stuff going on, plus our Mayday holiday is next Monday in the UK. Maybe someone else will get there first? Noxplayer looks to be free too - what's in it for them?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »

That is something that johnd is interested in for anticipation from his customers. The new WLL requires a Smartphone for setup and configuration. That might be an entry hurdle that some customers do not have. Also weatherlink.com is delayed and not LIVE which may be of interest to other people that want this information on a computer.

This also all goes back to your definition of live or real-time (in this context at least). WLL provides per-minute updates to wl.com and is effectively only 1-2 minutes delayed at the browser. That's close enough to real-time for most users but with the main exception of wind data (and maybe rainfall during a downpour). Running the smartphone app locally does give you genuinely live wind data (including 0.1mph resolution for Vue stations if that matters to you).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:56:53 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2019, 02:12:24 PM »
Noxplayer looks to be free too - what's in it for them?

Probably they are getting ad revenue from all the games that they are pushing.
Tele-Pole

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2019, 02:25:20 PM »
why did Davis not use UDP to get data to the phone apps
and then have it where you simply log into a local fixed IP address web server page that is the WLL devide (or a localhost url) to configure it to send data to weatherlink.com?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »
why did Davis not use UDP to get data to the phone apps

Do we know that they're not using UDP? Right now there are only 2 or 3 pieces of information:

1. The WL smartphone app on the same network can receive updates every 2.5secs, which can only come direct from the WLL

2. The same app running under Bluestacks on a Windows desktop works OK wrt wl.com but doesn't see the live data. Galfert's suggestion of Bignox with a network bridge needs to be tried.

3. Pointing a browser at the WLL's IP address does return something, but that something is just a JSON error string
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:33:53 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2019, 02:54:34 PM »
its easy enough for someone to check for UDP broadcast messages to find out (although you would need to know the port number, but there might be a some scanning software that could work that out?)

Offline boldblue737

« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2019, 03:08:13 PM »

It is not good enough to just wait for a dry morning. CWOP APRS protocol requires keeping track of previous 24 hours. Even if no rainfall since midnight it still has that other variable that is tracking previous 24 hours rainfall. So you have to wait a full 24 hours since last rainfall. Boldblue737 can still setup the WLL and configure weatherlink.com, but not move over CWOP to the new WLL weatherlink.com account.

That is what I suspected. Bluestacks connects to the Internet with its own subnet so it can't see your local network devices. That is very similar to other virtual systems although with other virtual platforms you sometimes have to option to bridge the network. I don't see that option in Bluestacks.

thanks everyone, that's a good plan. i'll setup the WLL but not have it upload to WU/CWOP until 24 since the last rainfall leaving that to my console/WLIP setup. then i will "flip the switch" and stop using the WLIP and just use the console as a local weather display elsewhere in my home. i'll also download the MAC software and download my data from WL to my local computer in the chance at some point Davis allows me to upload the local data back up to another (my WLL's) WL account. Thanks again!

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2019, 03:22:40 PM »
3. Pointing a browser at the WLL's IP address does return something, but that something is just a JSON error string
Now that's something interesting. This is a very strong hint at some kind of HTTP based interface to the WLL that works with JSON messages (and possibly WebSocket).

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2019, 03:26:03 PM »
@boldblue737: You do need to use WL for Windows I'm afraid. The Mac version won't work AFAIK.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2019, 03:33:40 PM »
its easy enough for someone to check for UDP broadcast messages to find out (although you would need to know the port number, but there might be a some scanning software that could work that out?)

We touched on this a little while back, but there were no responses with any eg Windows-based scanning recipe for further investigations. If there was anything quick and easy then I'm happy to give it a go but it needs to be Windows-based.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline boldblue737

« Reply #167 on: May 01, 2019, 03:41:18 PM »
@boldblue737: You do need to use WL for Windows I'm afraid. The Mac version won't work AFAIK.

I can use Windows if I have to, I'll just feel dirty afterwards. ;-) Thanks for the heads up.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2019, 03:52:22 PM »
Honestly, this UDP broadcasts based method is pretty unique to a startup's sole product line. While looks convenient, I doubt anyone else would implement it. As John hinted, there's a JSON response from the WLL when probed with a browser. That's the strongest hint so far.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2019, 03:58:29 PM »
We touched on this a little while back, but there were no responses with any eg Windows-based scanning recipe for further investigations. If there was anything quick and easy then I'm happy to give it a go but it needs to be Windows-based.
If you're willing to install Wireshark, and then start a cap and share it, that's a way to see what kind of traffic it conveys. I can give you the steps to take. It's not difficult, you just need to set an IP filter for your device before capping the traffic.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2019, 04:04:45 PM »
If you're willing to install Wireshark, and then start a cap and share it, that's a way to see what kind of traffic it conveys. I can give you the steps to take. It's not difficult, you just need to set an IP filter for your device before capping the traffic.

Most JSON responses that you'll see and capture including other network traffic will just be errors if the request was not formatted with the commands that the device expects. Without API documentation you are pretty much left in the dark. Sure you can start sending some guesses as to what you think the device would respond to. But that's like finding a lost dog and trying to call it to come to you and making up different names to see what name it responds to.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2019, 04:22:49 PM »
I have good news regarding the NoxPlayer Android emulator. I've successfully run the Ecowitt weather station Android app that talks to the console using a JSON API for Live data and configuration. It is all working great.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36792.0

This is promising for the WLL app to do the same running under NoxPlayer.
Tele-Pole

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »
I would try wireshark (and then a filter set in that)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #173 on: May 01, 2019, 04:34:21 PM »
....One interesting question... we have already said that the WLL will be a NEW device to Davis and it will cause me to lose the data from my WLIP on WL 2.0 which I'm not thrilled about....

Why will WLL cause you to loose your WLIP data or even stop you from continuing to use WLIP?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2019, 04:57:10 PM »
....One interesting question... we have already said that the WLL will be a NEW device to Davis and it will cause me to lose the data from my WLIP on WL 2.0 which I'm not thrilled about....

Why will WLL cause you to loose your WLIP data or even stop you from continuing to use WLIP?

That wasn't worded correctly. What boldblue737 meant to say is that by switching to the WLL and being forced to use a new station ID in weatherlink.com and the data is lost in terms of continuity. Boldblue737 knows that the data is still there if he references the old station ID.
Tele-Pole