Author Topic: Weatherlink Live  (Read 17399 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weatherlink Live
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2019, 03:36:57 AM »
Until it has an API I don't see many people wanting one.

While the appearance of the API will undoubtedly be very welcome, if I may say so, you have to step outside the mindset of the hardcore hobbyist whose ranks are (unsurprisingly) over-represented in this forum.

There is a substantial proportion of Davis buyers who appreciate all the extra features that computer processing brings (eg see your own current weather on a smartphone app from anywhere) but who really can't be bothered with all this running a PC, setting up a website etc stuff. Products like WLL are a godsend to them and they will buy one - they really don't care too much if wl.com is the only easy place they can view their data and many will feel that the $50pa Pro plan is a necessary evil that they're willing to entertain, just like they do for many other subscriptions they pay for these days.

I think there may also be a significant number of hobbyists who might run a WLL alongside their current logger-based solution just for ease and flexibility of uploading to wl.com.

So personally I think it will sell, certainly as much as the IP logger and probably more so.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2019, 03:43:31 AM »
I think the WLL would be very appealing to any entity, be it a hobbyist/enthusiast with a smart home system or a company wanting to integrate weather data in their infrastructure, were a useful, standards-based API be available for such integrations. I would imagine for many of these use cases the presence of a a console is useless, and for them a device like this - a self-contained, networking capable device - would be a pretty good choice. It might be that Davis is still researching their target segment with this early release where much of the promised integration functionality is not available yet.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2019, 06:13:17 AM »
I would imagine for many of these use cases the presence of a a console is useless, and for them a device like this - a self-contained, networking capable device - would be a pretty good choice.

As someone who has a console-less VP2, I totally agree.

(Envoy + USB logger + Raspberry Pi + WeeWX + Belchertown Skin + Amazon 10" tablet)
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2019, 05:01:10 PM »
Imagine the agricultural growers that have multiple growing plots and multiple sensors, water, leaf, temp etc and I have no doubt they will jump at these if comms are with in range. I think a LoRawan gateway option would really enhance its capabilities.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2019, 03:39:48 AM »
Imagine the agricultural growers that have multiple growing plots and multiple sensors, water, leaf, temp etc and I have no doubt they will jump at these if comms are with in range.

The existing Davis solution here is Enviromonitor of course, which is a self-contained, largely turnkey product.

EM does need at least a minimal 3G signal, but that's probably not too much of a limitation in most of the farming areas of Europe. LoRaWAN is potentially longer range but, curiously, coverage doesn't seem to be so good, at least not in the UK - there seem to be areas where (currently at least) LoRaWAN fails but EM works.

There are other benefits to EM for agriculture, eg the options for soil moisture sensing are considerably better with EM whereas with VP2 systems you're limited to the rather clunky Irrometer sensors.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline srpawski

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2019, 09:05:38 PM »
Got one on order from Scaled.  I plan to use my IP logger and windows software for the NOAA reports.

I guess I’m not really seeing the big deal.  My only concern is the NOAA reports and as long I can still download locally I will.  I talked to Davis yesterday and was told they have enough IP stocked to last 5 years.  He also said there are no plans to discontinue the other data loggers.  I figure if my IP craps out being it is 10 years old and by rights owes me nothing I’ll get a USB logger and keep on trucking.

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2019, 10:54:29 AM »
Earlier this past week, I received my 'WeatherLink Live' (WLL).

Had a bit of a situation getting the WLL connected to the WeatherLink Cloud. Eventually, the data from the WLL was uploaded to the WeatherLink Cloud.

As I was exchanging (getting additional) information with Davis Instruments, it was confirmed that the current API would not provide (make available) the data from a WLL - when asked about the availability of an API access, the reply was quite evasive with no time frame.  :roll:

So, the only way to view the data from a WLL is through a web browser or an Android/iOS phone.
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »
It would be an annoying little prank from Davis if at the end all it was capable of is uploading to their could and nothing else... Though I don't think that's the case.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2019, 11:28:19 AM »
As I was exchanging (getting additional) information with Davis Instruments, it was confirmed that the current API would not provide (make available) the data from a WLL - when asked about the availability of an API access, the reply was quite evasive with no time frame. 

I think it's been clear for a while that the current API does not work with WLL - see the comment in the API documentation that's downloadable from weatherlink.com for example, which IIRC has been online for 6 months' or so.

I don't know who you were communicating with at Davis, but if it was frontline support then it's unsurprising that they simply don't know - the new API is being worked on by the development team; since we know that the API release is not imminent, support won't have been given even an estimated release date as yet. Don't read too much into this - the new API testing and documentation is just not completed yet!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:05:23 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2019, 02:01:00 PM »
I received mine today. I decided to go WiFi, since my 24 port switch is full.

It seems to be working well.

Although I initially used my wife's Android phone with the installed Davis app, I see that I can edit the settings using a PC browser. This is under "Device Configuration".

I guess that the subscriptions only apply to your original station, the WLL is on the Basic Device Tier. I have the "Pro" for my WLIP.

I am let things run a while before I make any more moves.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2019, 02:11:30 PM »
I guess that the subscriptions only apply to your original station, the WLL is on the Basic Device Tier. I have the "Pro" for my WLIP.

The Pro plan actually seems to be a free-floating Pro associated with your account and typically attached to one station at a time. (Most users won't be aware of this since they'll only be using one station per account and so whether you regard the account or the station as being upgraded amounts to the same thing.)

So, assuming both stations are on the same account, I suspect you could in theory downgrade your WLIP to Basic temporarily and attach the Pro to the WLL station instead (use the gear wheel up by the Device Tier). Davis obviously don't encourage you to do this on a regular basis but it's occasionally a useful tool.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2019, 02:33:13 PM »

The Pro plan actually seems to be a free-floating Pro associated with your account and typically attached to one station at a time. (Most users won't be aware of this since they'll only be using one station per account and so whether you regard the account or the station as being upgraded amounts to the same thing.)

So, assuming both stations are on the same account, I suspect you could in theory downgrade your WLIP to Basic temporarily and attach the Pro to the WLL station instead (use the gear wheel up by the Device Tier). Davis obviously don't encourage you to do this on a regular basis but it's occasionally a useful tool.

Later, I saw that I had 2/3 stations applied under the "Pro" and I decided to add the third as the WLL.

It is working fine now, sorry that I was confused about this....

Greg H.

Offline srpawski

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2019, 03:17:58 PM »
Once Live is up and running, does the data uploaded by IP stop uploading since live takes over, or do they both upload?  I assume the logger will keep logging for local download and use.  Is there a procedure that needs to be done to the IP to get it to stop uploading?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2019, 03:40:04 PM »
Once Live is up and running, does the data uploaded by IP stop uploading since live takes over, or do they both upload?  I assume the logger will keep logging for local download and use.  Is there a procedure that needs to be done to the IP to get it to stop uploading?

You should be able to put the IP address of the WLIP into a browser and uncheck the "Upload to weatherlink.com" box.

Greg H.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2019, 03:56:40 PM »

That's not really how it works. Each device has its own DID (= MAC address) and uploads to its own station on weatherlink.com . If you already have an account with the IP logger uploading then you would Add Device to that account when configuring the new WLL and it would appear as a second station within your account. Whether you'd want two stations accepting identical data is up to you, but if not then you can turn the IP logger off as miraculon suggests.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2019, 04:20:07 PM »
I talked to Davis yesterday and was told they have enough IP stocked to last 5 years.

Just to avoid the wrong impression spreading, I'm afraid this isn't correct. The official word from someone senior inside Davis who knows the situation is: 'WeatherLinkIP is already discontinued, and has limited supply. The product will be available until we deplete our existing stock. Our current rough estimate is that we will run out sometime later this summer.'

This can obviously only be a rough estimate of course because it depends on demand for WLIP relative to WLL, the level of distributor orders from the factory etc and no doubt some resellers will continue to have residual stock for, who knows, eg 8-12 months. But anyone who particularly wants WLIP should be looking to buy sooner rather than later.

Though, that said, WFL would probably fit the bill as a substitute if a WiFi network connection was acceptable.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2019, 05:22:01 PM »
Though, that said, WFL would probably fit the bill as a substitute if a WiFi network connection was acceptable.

I presume that the USB and Serial loggers will continue to be available "forever".

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2019, 05:25:53 PM »
Quote from: johnd

...or the Meteobridge Nano right?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline srpawski

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2019, 09:25:55 PM »

That's not really how it works. Each device has its own DID (= MAC address) and uploads to its own station on weatherlink.com . If you already have an account with the IP logger uploading then you would Add Device to that account when configuring the new WLL and it would appear as a second station within your account. Whether you'd want two stations accepting identical data is up to you, but if not then you can turn the IP logger off as miraculon suggests.

So if one adds Live to their existing account, turns off or removes IP from the same account once Live is added, does all of the existing data that is currently there from the current IP station remain since it’s in the same account?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2019, 10:48:30 PM »

So if one adds Live to their existing account, turns off or removes IP from the same account once Live is added, does all of the existing data that is currently there from the current IP station remain since it’s in the same account?

Live would be a new station under the same account separate to the IP station and both stations would have there own separate database.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2019, 11:18:36 PM »
I presume that the USB and Serial loggers will continue to be available "forever".
All I would say that for the time being that both the USB and Serial are in their 2019; whereby, the WLIP has been removed.  Therefore, until indicated otherwise both the USB and Serial along with their current consoles will remain to be made available.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2019, 03:43:53 AM »
Quote from: johnd

...or the Meteobridge Nano right?

Well, yes, as a network logger, but remember that Nano cannot upload (directly at least) to weatherlink.com. So Nano wouldn't provide a full substitute for WLIP, eg if you wanted to download data from wl.com into a local copy of Weatherlink or do anything else that relies on sourcing archive data from wl.com in the traditional way. That's why I didn't include Nano in the comment.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2019, 04:14:58 AM »

To complete the picture: Davis Support do have a software tool that enables a faulty or damaged logger to be replaced with another new one of the same type (ie  but with a different DID/MAC address) without creating a new station on wl.com (ie keeping the old station name) and while continuing to make all the old data accessible under the new logger's account.

That said, I don't honestly know whether this it's possible to swap one logger type for another, eg WLL for WLIP - there might or might not be underlying reasons to do with the data structures for the different logger types why this cannot be done. Or Davis simply might not be willing to do it, eg because of the support workload or potential for errors in the changeover process. But I guess someone will ask the question of Davis at some point soon.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 04:20:09 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2019, 06:02:13 AM »
One other comment on WLL, which may not have been specifically highlighted. At launch WLL cannot receive data from a VP2 repeater. This limitation is expected to be removed with a firmware update in the near future (no specific target date AFAIK, but eg in the next 2-3 months).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline srpawski

« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2019, 06:16:00 AM »

To complete the picture: Davis Support do have a software tool that enables a faulty or damaged logger to be replaced with another new one of the same type (ie  but with a different DID/MAC address) without creating a new station on wl.com (ie keeping the old station name) and while continuing to make all the old data accessible under the new logger's account.

That said, I don't honestly know whether this it's possible to swap one logger type for another, eg WLL for WLIP - there might or might not be underlying reasons to do with the data structures for the different logger types why this cannot be done. Or Davis simply might not be willing to do it, eg because of the support workload or potential for errors in the changeover process. But I guess someone will ask the question of Davis at some point soon.

It would make sense that it the station with IP and the addition of Live would then make there be two stations and two separate databases as the poster above mentioned.  I guess I am thinking more along the lines of the subscription part of things.  If my account is already a Pro sub, then I would think all of my data is there regardless of which station or logging method it is from.  It makes sense if they are considered two separate stations on the same account to have to specify which station to pull data from.  If that's the case, all of my historical data going back to April 2009 is under my IP and then going forward it would be from Live from May 2019 onward.  However, since both stations are going into the same account, I would think it would all be from the same data "pool" and would be accessible without having to switch which device the data is viewed from.

Two options I see here.  Leave the IP to continue uploading or doing exactly what it is doing now until David disables it from working by which it then starts acting on its own just as an on site data logger.  Set up and configure the Live to do its thing and have simultaneous data to both devices going into the same account for the time being.  I thought maybe the one or two who have received their Live might have checked into how this works with configuring their Live while their IP is still in action so I figured id throw it out there to see if its been looked into. 

I can contact Davis this week to ask this question and post the answer back here because it seems to me that's the first thing you would want to know what to do with the IP data upload while newly configuring the Live knowing the IP isn't any longer supported and is considered a legacy device.  I'd just as soon isolate the IP from continuing to upload since its done and find out if there is some way to do this and to know if the data from it comingles with the Live data or not.

anything