Author Topic: Davis Rain Collector Heater Stopped Working  (Read 1224 times)

Offline tmieyal

Davis Rain Collector Heater Stopped Working
« on: December 31, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »
Hello and Happy New Year!  I purchased a Davis Rain Collector Heater in 2016 and it worked fine during last year's mild winter here in Cleveland, Ohio.  I started using it again earlier this December and it continued to work with no problems until this past week when the green power light went off, though still plugged in.  This week the temperatures have been in the single digits, and we've had nearly 10 inches of snow.  Though this sounds like a silly question, could this more extreme winter weather be causing my heater to malfunction?  I went outside today, took off the rain collector cone, removed just about all of the snow and ice that had accumulated, and noticed that the heater was still properly installed with no issues.  Has anyone else had any issues with the Rain Collector Heater no longer working?  Any thoughts or suggestions . . . or should I just wait until it warms up a bit for an even better inspection of everything?  Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
Re: Davis Rain Collector Heater Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »
This happened to me a couple of years ago.  Check to make sure you are getting power to the switch.  Mine was the wall wart had died.  Made the mistake of purchasing a whole new unit.  Would not use a rain collector heater.  They are extremely inaccurate.  Just my .02.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline tmieyal

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 08:30:16 PM »
Thanks for your post!  How do I check if I am getting power to the switch (sorry I am quite the novice!)  Thanks again!

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 08:54:32 PM »
Is this what your unit looks like?

Mark

Offline tmieyal

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:05:03 PM »
Hello!  Yes that sure looks like it.  But I don't ever recall that blue or white light on the top of the other part of the unit (not the switch box), even when it was working properly.  Maybe I just missed it.  Thanks again!

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 09:20:52 PM »
I would guess if you don't have the light on the transformer lit, you either are not getting power to the transformer or the transformer is dead.  My transformer light went out once and when I checked, it was plugged into a GFCI receptacle and it had been tripped.  I hit the reset and the light came on.
There are four small screws that hold the switch box together.  Remove these and open it up.  This will allow you to use a voltmeter (assuming you have one) to check the voltage on the incoming side of the switch.  If you have voltage there, turn the switch on and check for voltage going to the heater.

Good luck.

Mark

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 08:29:23 AM »
I agree with checking the possible causes of the power supply no working first, including getting 120V power to the unit. (i.e. GFCI, plugged in, etc.)
Aside from that, would recommend buying a cheap Digital MultiMeter (DMM) at your local hardware store, auto supply, Amazon, whatever. They can be had for about $10USD and will work "good enough" for checking things like voltages in your weather station. (car or house for that matter)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline tmieyal

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 11:05:53 AM »
A very big thank you for your comments and assistance, I truly appreciate it!  I will get to work on this ASAP!  Happy New Year!