Author Topic: Meteotemplate - new free website template  (Read 630728 times)

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
Re: Meteotemplate - new free website template
« Reply #7550 on: August 10, 2017, 06:36:20 PM »
While donations are great - I have donated and will in th future, calling out people - especially from a particular country is plain wrong - and I am from NY, USA.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7551 on: August 10, 2017, 06:42:02 PM »
 ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I will not say I agree with one or the other. It is not black and white. One thing I will say though is that we should try to avoid generalizations. Very often things are different or completely opposite to what you would expect.

How about we change topic slightly :-)

Is there anyone in the path of totality on Aug 21? Here in my country, the next total solar eclipse will be in 2134, so I will have to wait :-)

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
« Reply #7552 on: August 10, 2017, 06:43:24 PM »
](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I will not say I agree with one or the other. It is not black and white. One thing I will say though is that we should try to avoid generalizations. Very often things are different or completely opposite to what you would expect.

Is there anyone in the path of totality on Aug 21? Here in my country, the next total solar eclipse will be in 2134, so I will have to wait :-)

I wish I was but I’ll only be at 70%.  I will be in the next pass in 2024 I believe!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7553 on: August 10, 2017, 06:54:14 PM »
In 1998 I experienced 90% here. But the problem is that 90% still looks quite "normal". You don't see the corona effect and it is actually not even that dark. More like hour before sunset. There is a major difference between 90% and 98%. 90% seems like a lot, but its actually still quite light.
I will have to wait until 2134 :-)

Offline danb35

« Reply #7554 on: August 10, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »
We should get about 95-96% here.

Offline rods55555

« Reply #7555 on: August 10, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »
In 1998 I experienced 90% here. But the problem is that 90% still looks quite "normal". You don't see the corona effect and it is actually not even that dark. More like hour before sunset. There is a major difference between 90% and 98%. 90% seems like a lot, but its actually still quite light.
I will have to wait until 2134 :-)

I experienced a total solar eclipse in 1994, I was very young but remember it very well. I took a chance when the sun was completely blocked and I took a look for like a second at the sun, it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life, it's really amazing. The next total solar eclipse in my region is said to happen in the next 400 years .... I think I will not be able to be here to see the other one.  :lol:

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7556 on: August 10, 2017, 07:59:42 PM »
Yes, the great thing about 100% is that at the very moment of the total eclipse you can actually look at it with naked eye. If you did that even with 98% you would end up blinded for a while and risk potential permanent eye damage.
I remember I was quite excited when I learned it will be over 90%, but to be quite honest it was a bit of a disappointment. Just that few % left makes a huge difference. Today we had a large thunderstorm in the afternoon and it was probably darker than back then.

The next total solar eclipse in my region is said to happen in the next 400 years .... I think I will not be able to be here to see the other one.

Come on... you need to be a bit more optimistic :-)

Offline rods55555

« Reply #7557 on: August 10, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »
Yes, the great thing about 100% is that at the very moment of the total eclipse you can actually look at it with naked eye. If you did that even with 98% you would end up blinded for a while and risk potential permanent eye damage.
I remember I was quite excited when I learned it will be over 90%, but to be quite honest it was a bit of a disappointment. Just that few % left makes a huge difference. Today we had a large thunderstorm in the afternoon and it was probably darker than back then.

The next total solar eclipse in my region is said to happen in the next 400 years .... I think I will not be able to be here to see the other one.

Come on... you need to be a bit more optimistic :-)

I remember that since it would be a 100% solar eclipse all the schools allowed the students to skip school that day if they wanted or you could go to school and the teachers would be there to help the students to see the eclipse. I chose to stay home with a few friends and we made a "device" with a mirror covered with a piece of paper with a round cut in the middle, so we could see how much of the sun was blocked by projecting the light on a wall, and when it went totally dark I took a look at the sun ..... I will never forget that.

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7558 on: August 11, 2017, 03:25:24 PM »
]

2 minutes and 30 seconds of totality. There is a 10 mile view across the valley to the WNW. It will be very interesting to see how quickly it changes from daylight to dark in the eclipse because the darkness will be moving from the west instead of from the east.  We normally have an extremely long twilight with a glow in the western sky long after sun set.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Block Update - Weather Facts 5.0
« Reply #7559 on: August 12, 2017, 03:26:13 PM »
Block Update - Weather Facts 5.0

- added support for Italy

Enjoy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Questionnaire
« Reply #7560 on: August 13, 2017, 01:23:46 PM »
Meteotemplate - Questionnaire

Hi guys,

please help me with planning future development of the template by filling in a short questionnaire, it will only take a minute or two.

Thanks

http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=3206

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7561 on: August 14, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »
Can someone please check the DEMO mobile page and tell me if it looks better than the current one you have?

Thanks!

http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/indexMobile.php

Offline danb35

« Reply #7562 on: August 14, 2017, 01:05:41 PM »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7563 on: August 14, 2017, 01:06:46 PM »
OK, well when I tried narrowing the browser window, the current version looks perfect, the old one has very small font size. If it shows incorrectly then it means desktop Chrome behaves differently than mobile chrome even when you make the window narrow

Offline danb35

« Reply #7564 on: August 14, 2017, 01:08:22 PM »
It's working like my current site--if I rotate the iPad to portrait mode, it looks fine.  If I have it in landscape mode, though, the whole menu is expanded.  I think I posted screen shots of my site up-thread; your site is behaving the same way.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7565 on: August 14, 2017, 01:10:29 PM »
Aha, ok, no, I was playing around with font size.

That auto menu opening is an issue specific to Ipad and something I have not been able to replicate. I guess unless some user finds the root of the problem and how to fix it, I will not be able to do so myself. I suspect the problem might be that iPad sends incorrect screen size to the template when used in landscape, but I am not 100% sure.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7566 on: August 14, 2017, 01:11:02 PM »
This is how Chrome emulates iPhone, this seems good to me

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
  • Qui trop écoute la météo, passe sa vie au bistrot.
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #7567 on: August 14, 2017, 01:21:36 PM »
Can someone please check the DEMO mobile page and tell me if it looks better than the current one you have?

Thanks!

For me with android 5.1 it is perfect and better than mine

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7568 on: August 14, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »
Thanks,
from what I can tell it now looks perfect to me, the only issue is Safari. Not sure about iPhone, but I know it does not display well on iPad.

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
  • Qui trop écoute la météo, passe sa vie au bistrot.
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #7569 on: August 14, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
on my Ipad 3 with Safari it is also very good Jachym

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #7570 on: August 14, 2017, 01:34:43 PM »
Aha, ok, no, I was playing around with font size.

That auto menu opening is an issue specific to Ipad and something I have not been able to replicate. I guess unless some user finds the root of the problem and how to fix it, I will not be able to do so myself. I suspect the problem might be that iPad sends incorrect screen size to the template when used in landscape, but I am not 100% sure.

ipad... menu

@media all and (max-width: 768px), only screen and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 2) and (max-width: 1024px)...
to
@media all and (max-width: 768px), only screen and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 2) and (max-width: 250px)...

from the developers site ...

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7571 on: August 14, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »
Hi Brian,
thanks, there are actually two problems:

1. I suspect that what iPad does is send the screen width in landscape mode same as in portrait or vice versa
2. what I still dont understand though is why it opens it. The menu should always start closed just like when used on a desktop PC or other phones.

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #7572 on: August 14, 2017, 01:58:24 PM »
Jachym,
The menu problem is not specific to Ipad.  My Acer Android has the same issue with the menu starting open.
Jay

Well, that is weird.  If I turn the tablet to portrait mode the menu looks fine.  In landscape mode the menu opens every time.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:06:04 PM by jay_hoehn »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7573 on: August 14, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
OK, well in that case I have to say Im lost. It doesnt do it in the browser no matter how narrow I make it... I tried on my sister´s Android phone and it worked fine too...

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #7574 on: August 14, 2017, 02:05:41 PM »
Hi Brian,
thanks, there are actually two problems:

1. I suspect that what iPad does is send the screen width in landscape mode same as in portrait or vice versa
2. what I still dont understand though is why it opens it. The menu should always start closed just like when used on a desktop PC or other phones.

you need to go to the developers web site and read the discussions there are numerous fixes all related mobile devices , not just specific to ipad .
for example there are many other references ..

- Set "#cssmenu ul ul" to "display:none;" when the width is less than 768, to prevent the mobile menu to show the sub-items when the menu is first opened.

anything