Author Topic: VP2 Changes since 2014  (Read 861 times)

Offline srpawski

VP2 Changes since 2014
« on: March 02, 2019, 11:47:41 AM »
Looks like it’s time to replace the anemometer after 5 years of service.  I plan to just replace the ISS.  For $300 it’s not worth messing around to rehab the unit and I get all new sensors.

That said, what has there been for any internal hardware updates to the ISS such as board revisions, etc since 2014?  Is the new Hall effect sensor in the anemometer proving to provide a better unit?  Surprisingly, my supercap looks brand new with no signs of leakage or corrosion.

I’ve grown tired of Davis and haven’t kept up watching the stalemate product line not evolve for 15 years.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: VP2 Changes since 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 01:49:01 PM »
I don't know of all the changes to the ISS so I'm sure others will fill in what I left out....

• Around 2015 or 2016 the rain gauge got bird spikes
  • in the last year or so the rain gauge changed shape to be slender like a wine glass, skinny in the middle although you can still get the old style
  • in 2016 new temperature and humidity sensor SHT31. The older ISS (after 2006) can use this but there needs to be a temperature calibration offset put into the console of about 0.9 deg F. The SHT31 is said to last 18 months before it starts needing to be replaced ($50) in high humidity climates as it then starts to report high middle range humidity bias and the max humidity drops from 99% or 100% down sometimes to a max of 87% to low 90's%.

Also soon this year there is a new rain gauge single spoon tipper replacing the double bucket design. This isn't out yet. You'll be able to replace the old style with this new style. Also this year we are expecting the launch of the WeatherLink Live which is a new device to receive your ISS data and connect to the Internet without need of a separate data logger.
https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlink-live-coming-soon/

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:52:02 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »
Rain collector tipping spoon appears to be in some new units, not available as a replacement yet, don't forget the green dot loggers, WL2.0 replaced WL1.0 which in some respects lost some preferred ability, WLIP to be discontinued by WeatherLink Live but until released unable to compare or discover what is lost or gained

Offline srpawski

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 06:23:44 PM »
I knew about the Aerocone changes I actually bought one a couple years ago.  I was not however aware of the upcoming tipper bucket changes or the new humidity sensor change unless that is the since discontinued “upgraded” version that Scaled Instruments was selling up until the middle of last year.

Yeah, I’m not a big fan either of 2.0.  I was afraid that IP is on the way out when I saw the live thing on their site coming soon.  I still make monthly reports using the old software which can’t be done the same way with 2.0, or ive not been able to replicate if it’s possible.

Does this mean they are going to discontinue all of their data loggers so we won’t be able to log data to use the old software they no longer support?

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 08:47:37 PM »
One would hope they don't discontinue all of their data logger especially serial versions but who really knows what Davis thinks or what their agenda is?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 03:49:52 AM »
There's no indication at all that serial or USB loggers are being considered for deletion at present. The IP logger IS marked for discontinuation this year (but only once WLL is released and there probably will be stock in the supply chain for some time to come). But serial/USB are NOT marked in the same way and there's no reason to suspect that they won't continue to be freely available.

I think the main motivation behind deletion is that WLL will do the same job as the IP logger, at least in terms of uploads to weatherlink.com, AND be significantly cheaper. For anyone who still wants local network access then the WiFi logger will be a direct substitute for the IP logger, albeit via WiFi rather than cabled Ethernet.

I'm expecting that once the local API for WLL gets released then authors of local software can modify their programs to accommodate the new API and so WLL will be able to take over this role too. Maybe someone might also write a utility that talks to WLL and makes the data available to other software in the traditional Davis LOOP etc API?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:06:25 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 01:52:34 PM »
How is the single spoon going to work?  Is it spring loaded?  Or weighted on one end?
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 01:57:30 PM »
How is the single spoon going to work?  Is it spring loaded?  Or weighted on one end?

There's a counterbalance weight, just like the familiar Vue tipping spoon.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.