Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue  (Read 2623 times)

Offline AboutAndAround

Davis Vantage Vue
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:25:58 AM »
Hi everyone. So I have a Fine Offset/Watson/whatever you call it, for a while now and it's been giving me a lot of headaches since the start. So a while ago I decided to go for the Davis Vue. But I have a few concerns, because I'm not sure if I can be safe with it even though it is Davis because of some of the problems I've read in this forum and other places. Battery problems, false data spikes, etc. I don't know how common those are but I seem to see quite an amount of posts about those.
Currently I don't have the resources to get a VP2 and the Vue's compact style is the best for me because it will be on the top of an antenna mast in a 4 floor building, and I'm even getting it from America (ScientificSales) because it's much much cheaper than in Europe even with WL.

Thanks.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Davis Vantage Vue
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »
You should remember that the large number of people who do NOT have problems, do not need to post questions here.  The Vue seems to be very reliable and easy to use.

I presume you have investigated whether the station you are getting can be used in Portugal.

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »
Yes, I know people with American VP2's in here and had no problems with customs or anything so I guess it's safe :D Anyway yes, I remember the number of people who don't have problems but there's always that "fear" while reading stuff about it. Anyway thank you for your answer. :)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »
... some of the problems I've read in this forum and other places. Battery problems, false data spikes, etc. I don't know how common those are but I seem to see quite an amount of posts about those.

...from personal experience my Davis Vue has been very good.  Yes I did have an issue with the battery early on but Davis was very helpful in getting the issue resolved.  I've not had any problems with false data spike, etc.  Not even sure if it did happen I would care for I don't track the data on this station.  The data on the displays appear reliable and as long as I don't try to read it in the middle of the night I'm fine.  Hopefully Davis will figure out how to tweak or loosen the humidity/temp sensor.  There does seems be a trend with under reporting across the forum when experiencing very high humidity.  Might be traced to the same sensor Davis uses in all their stations. Overall I think the Vue would be a fine choice. :grin:

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »
I did read the humidity thread around here, where it would only reach 97% or so, but I guess that could mean they've used different sensors in different stages of production, I don't  know! :P Problem is the fact I'm getting it from America, support might not be very easy, and that's because I trust in Davis and I hope I don't have any problems, but it being Davis, guess I can rely on it!

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:36:51 PM »
Problem is the fact I'm getting it from America, support might not be very easy,

...well from what I remember....when I emailed and called Davis they never asked during the trouble shooting, where I lived.  If you feel uncertain, call or email Davis in California and ask if they service you direct or do you have to go through another source.

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
Hehe, unfortunately I live in Portugal but yes, in case of anything I will try that. But hoping nothing bad will happen! :D

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »
Yes, I know people with American VP2's in here and had no problems with customs or anything so I guess it's safe

The potential problem is not so much Customs (assuming that they don't check the consignment in detail, which they very likely won't) but that the US specification stations will be illegal to use in Europe (presumably in much the same way that stations with the international OV wireless specification would be illegal to use in the US). How much of a concern this might be is obviously up to you.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »
Well, I know several other people with Davis operating in these frequencies and they never had problems with any authorities, in here, where it's more frowned upon is in radio-amateurism where you need a license.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »
Well, I know several other people with Davis operating in these frequencies and they never had problems with any authorities, in here, where it's more frowned upon is in radio-amateurism where you need a license.

Although the US frequencies are illegal, you (and others) will probably not have a problem with the authorities.

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 05:40:19 PM »
I understand. Well, I guess I can be safe without thinking of problems, just hope they don't arise :D Thanks for all the answers, next week I should order it.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »
I know about the Portuguese retailer, but prices in Europe are just ridiculous in some places.