Author Topic: Twister  (Read 12419 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Twister
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:20:15 PM »
  Hello all!!  Just a heads up that "Twister" is on TNT channel tonight at 8pm Eastern.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Re: Twister
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:10:23 PM »
  Hello all!!  Just a heads up that "Twister" is on TNT channel tonight at 8pm Eastern.

Thanks!!!  I caught it again yesterday :lol:   I have watched it a couple of times again this year alone LOL!!
Seems like I find something new each time I watch I didn't see before!

Believe it or not Storm Chasing Season is not too far off actually ...

Wonder What Tornado Videos Dot Net and his crew will get into this year  :lol:

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »
Tornado Season officially started today!  :)

I'll be heading to the Plains on May 28th for my spring chase.  Can't wait to see what mother nature has in store.

Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »
Tornado Season officially started today!  :)

I'll be heading to the Plains on May 28th for my spring chase.  Can't wait to see what mother nature has in store.

Good Luck!!!
Be safe!!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 11:52:36 PM »
      I too wish you good luck in the chase!  And be safe above all.  Don't try any of the stuff they did in the movie ;), at least not too often.

Offline Melissa517

• Keep shell!
  • Clear space and good landings!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 02:44:59 PM »
Twister is one of my most favorite weather movies.  Along with that is The Perfect Storm, Day after Tomorrow.  Anything that has any type of weather is awesome!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 03:16:30 PM »
Twister is one of those movies you can watch multiple times like O Brother, Where Art Thou. Not a top favorite movie but one you can repeat. 
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 06:58:34 PM »
The more I watch Helen Hunt, I mean Twister, I realize just how much BS is in that movie. I like it too but some of that stuff Hollywood throws in there for watchability is just out there.
But I guess if they didn't go overboard with the theatrics it wouldn't be as good.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 07:31:09 PM »
The more I watch Helen Hunt, I mean Twister, I realize just how much BS is in that movie. I like it too but some of that stuff Hollywood throws in there for watchability is just out there.
But I guess if they didn't go overboard with the theatrics it wouldn't be as good.
Couldn't agree more. Certainly "entertaining", but I did this :roll: so many times, my eyes hurt. I need to see movies where I don't know any better.  ;)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 08:36:38 PM »
There was another tornado movie just this last year or so where some fellows who couldn't act who were over acting under the direction of someone who couldn't direct, where a tornado was whirling away in the city park, while others were being blown away, the heroes ran into the wind to get into a brick building. 

I swear those who write the checks to produce these 'films' must never read the scripts, or have any sense.

On a different note, a few years ago there was a series on Discovery, I think, about real chasers, one guy doing a film for an IMAX presentation, and then a few others running around too.  One of the most academic guys was killed that season, if I recollect.

I wonder if there is a similar series on any of the satellite/cable groups again.   

Anyone ever see the IMAX film that was made?  I never have seen it offered, nor a DVD of it afterwards which is something IMAX frequently does.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 08:39:42 PM »
OK, What was the worst part of Twister?

The growling storm sounds?

The cow?

The semi tractor/trailer still on it's feet while the rear of the van got shredded?

And believe me, I've only seen bits and pieces when it was on TV (daytime at that if I remember), so I'm sure there were many other things that were overly dramatic.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 10:19:45 PM »
On a different note, a few years ago there was a series on Discovery, I think, about real chasers, one guy doing a film for an IMAX presentation, and then a few others running around too.  One of the most academic guys was killed that season, if I recollect.
Storm Chasers was the show and I loved it, Reed Timmer & Co. with two other teams. The fatalities were actually three killed of one team while chasing the Reno, Ok. tornado of 2014.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 10:24:54 PM »

That was my first inkling....... :roll:
But seeing the two of them ride it out at the end, during an EF5 strapped to a pipe and not get a scratch, let alone dismemberment was  :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:...........

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 10:34:31 PM »
Don't be making fun of Twister. Its a classic.... :-)
Randy

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 10:52:03 PM »
I'll say that Twister was the first, and perhaps a wee bit higher standard than some of those which came along afterwards.

I keep telling my kids that real tornadoes do have a sound, but of a growling bear/dog/Chulthu it isn't.

Speaking of that, if air is, well air, how does the sound of very turbulent air just before a thunderstorm strikes or when a tornado does go by get generated?  Where is the vibration coming from?  I had a 1/2 hour to stand right below the approach end of a major runway and especially when the heavies would begin a slight flare to land, maybe 100' overhead, it was impressive to hear the roar of the wing tip vortices (most planes didn't have the little winglets on the end yet) carry on with making noises for a minute or so after the plane had landed and stopped with the reverse thrust on the jets or the props.  Sort of a swishing, almost slicing sound.

Very cool.  And if I hear it in an open field, I'm digging very fast.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 11:10:03 PM »
I'll say that Twister was the first, and perhaps a wee bit higher standard than some of those which came along afterwards.

I keep telling my kids that real tornadoes do have a sound, but of a growling bear/dog/Chulthu it isn't.

Speaking of that, if air is, well air, how does the sound of very turbulent air just before a thunderstorm strikes or when a tornado does go by get generated?  Where is the vibration coming from?  I had a 1/2 hour to stand right below the approach end of a major runway and especially when the heavies would begin a slight flare to land, maybe 100' overhead, it was impressive to hear the roar of the wing tip vortices (most planes didn't have the little winglets on the end yet) carry on with making noises for a minute or so after the plane had landed and stopped with the reverse thrust on the jets or the props.  Sort of a swishing, almost slicing sound.

Very cool.  And if I hear it in an open field, I'm digging very fast.
I don't think it's possible to hear air flow over any part of an airplane with the engine noise, even upon landing at idle thrust.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 11:23:51 PM »
No, I was about a 1/5 of a mile off the end of the runway standing in a parking lot.  I heard the air coming off the wings and swirling after the heavies landed.  The lighter smaller regional jets and even the 727s didn't make this noise.

I did hit a little bit of a wing tip vortex just after takeoff in a small plane following a departure of a much larger jet, even though the tower held us for three minutes and wanted us to turn upwind when we did get off. A bumpy ride but as you say no real noise.  Our engine was at full output yet in climb.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 01:08:05 AM »
No, I was about a 1/5 of a mile off the end of the runway standing in a parking lot.  I heard the air coming off the wings and swirling after the heavies landed.  The lighter smaller regional jets and even the 727s didn't make this noise.

I did hit a little bit of a wing tip vortex just after takeoff in a small plane following a departure of a much larger jet, even though the tower held us for three minutes and wanted us to turn upwind when we did get off. A bumpy ride but as you say no real noise.  Our engine was at full output yet in climb.
Very interesting, I don't believe I've ever knowingly experienced this sound.

Remember, even though the tower gave you required wake turbulence separation, as PIC you can wait longer if you feel necessary. However, you may then wait a lot longer. ;)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 08:37:37 AM »
I bet I can guess what CW2274 does for a living...Same as my brother who was a Reagan hire ATC 30 yrs until forced retirement at 56.
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 08:41:04 AM »
I know exactly what your talking about Dale.
Growing up in Cleveland we lived right behind the airport. They had approach light towers just before the runways that they would light up at night. We would climb up on to these towers (definitely pre 911 :-)) and the planes were so close, maybe 50ft up and loud as hell. Anyways, after they would go by you could hear that sound. We had no idea what it was but something like that swishing sound.
Very cool.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 08:47:50 AM »

That was my first inkling....... :roll:
But seeing the two of them ride it out at the end, during an EF5 strapped to a pipe and not get a scratch, let alone dismemberment was  :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:...........
There were so many.
How about when the the 2 corporate storm chasers were killed. They show the camera angle and they are driving almost straight into it. ](*,) The guy says you should stay back because it might shift. Then Hunt says it shifting and just like that they're gone.  :roll:

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 09:27:57 AM »
Tried to find some sounds.  The problem is you have a very heavy piece of metal with screaming engines reversing at high throttle not too far away.  And when you are right under it, you have directional hearing ability to try to ignore the sounds from the runway, or know that the sound is from above you.

Here's a few attempts:

This one is about 47 seconds into the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VwDUEwNV_w

This one is a bit better, with a sort of a whip crack sound as the guy describes it.

Listen to the beginning of the weird roar about 43.5 into the video, and then just after that the whip crack sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA-NONhZIN8

I think that the ambient noise of a busy airport with the feeder roads and traffic makes for a hard to record setting with just a video camera.  One would need a more directional mic, sort of what they use for boom mikes overhead the do movies.  I think holding one of the clear plastic parabolic reflectors and standing under the end of an approach runway might attract attention.

Finally I ran across this while looking for the videos with sounds, but such cool photography, along with visualization of the Wilson Cloud Chamber effect and miniature tornadoes off the ends of the flaps and all.  I am amazed at the angles of attack they have on take off and also that so much metal can be lifted by so little wing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfY5ZQDzC5s
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 03:06:44 PM »
I would never have thought this thread would still be actively! Amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Melissa517

• Keep shell!
  • Clear space and good landings!
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2016, 03:38:36 PM »
I would never have thought this thread would still be actively! Amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I first came into this wonderful world of weather chat I found this thread and being that Twister is one of my most all time favorite movies I had to just say something about it.  I need to watch that movie at least twice a month or more.  I know I know I can watch it with my eyes closed but the movie totally rocked my WX world. 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 03:40:22 PM »
Hi Mark,
Been a little while, and good to see you're still watchful... some things come around, and go around...

Regards,
Paul

anything