Author Topic: 'Raindrops keep falling on my ....... ' graphene solar panel?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster

Rain is normally a solar energy cell's worst nightmare, but a team of Chinese scientists could make it a tremendous ally. They've developed a solar cell with an atom-thick graphene layer that harvests energy from raindrops, making it useful even on the gloomiest days. Water actually sticks to the graphene, creating a sort of natural capacitor -- the sharp difference in energy between the graphene's electrons and the water's ions produces electricity.

The catch is that the current technology isn't all that efficient. It only converts about 6.5 percent of the energy it gets, which pales in comparison to the 22 percent you see among the world's better solar panels. If the creators can improve the performance of this graphene-coated cell, though, they could have a dream solution on their hands -- you wouldn't have to live in a consistently sunny part of the world to reduce your dependency on conventional power.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/11/solar-cell-generates-power-from-raindrops/

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: 'Raindrops keep falling on my ....... ' graphene solar panel?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 05:30:04 PM »
Yippee, now our summer thunderstorms might DO something useful...besides flooding the arroyos!
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: 'Raindrops keep falling on my ....... ' graphene solar panel?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 06:26:39 PM »
When I first read it, I was expecting to see they were somehow counting/measure the impacts of the drops (like taps on a snare drum).

anything