Author Topic: Does Wunderfixer still work?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Does Wunderfixer still work?
« on: April 26, 2019, 12:45:58 PM »
With all the recent Weather Underground changes I was wondering if Wunderfixer still worked? This is more a Weather Underground issue but you can't really ask WU because they will tell you this sort of utility was never supported.

WU removed the editing and deleting. So this part of the Wunderfixer documentation is outdated:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I'm wonder though if the whole thing is obsolete. Has anyone been able to recently use Wunderfixer?

This recent thread in the Weather-Display forum claims that this functionality is no longer possible. At least Brian wasn't able to get his software to do this.
https://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,67619.msg542999.html#msg542999

Then there is a recent post where a WeatherCat users claims that their WU catch up historical posting isn't working.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36724.0

All those clues makes me think Wunderfixer might not be able to do its thing either. Cumulus also has this functionality but I haven't seen any reports of problems doing this in Cumulus recently (maybe nobody is trying.)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 12:49:33 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gjr80

Re: Does Wunderfixer still work?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 03:05:26 PM »
Wunderfixer works by pulling down a day of PWS data from WU using WxDailyHistory. This is checked against the same period in the WeeWX archive and any 'missing' records are then uploaded using the normal WU upload protocol. Since the upload protocolof has not changed (well not from a PWS point of view) that part of wunderfixer should continue to work. The downloading of data from WU via WxDailyHistory uses the station name but no API key so there is a chance that still works. In fact, I just put the same WxDailyHistory address used by wunnderfixer in my browser and was presented a days worth of data so that part seems to still work. Based on this I expect wunderfixer should still work fine.

I no longer upload to WU so don't use wunderfixer any more, perhaps a wunderfixer user might be able to give a first hand users view

Gary

Offline UberEclectic

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 07:20:27 PM »
Yes wunderfixer still works.

Lately the download of historical data has been extra slow, so I had to increase the socket timeout from 10 seconds to 20 seconds to compensate.
There is an updated version in the WeeWx repo on GitHub that takes a --timeout argument for that purpose.  Still defaults to 10 seconds, but I recommend 20.

Offline UberEclectic

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 07:54:20 PM »
While on the subject... (cross-posting this part from another thread)...

I did just today discover an interesting case of several false positive-missing records.
Data wasn't really missing, but was intentionally ignored by WU, because it was in between a 5-minute boundary.
In the case that I drilled into deeply a missing record was from 9:57:00 a.m., but WU already had records for 9:50, 9:54.59, and 10:00 a.m.

The wunderfixer utility defaults to 120 second time offsets, so called "epsilon" when deciding whether a record is missing.  My local record from 9:57.00 is exactly 121 seconds after WU's 9:54.59 record, e.g. 1 second more than the default 120 second "epsilon," so wunderfixer deemed the record missing.  I increased the epsilon to 125 seconds to compensate.

I had several such records close to the 5-minute boundaries, but just barely outside, like that.  But using 125 seconds to align the buckets seems to be an effective workaround for WU showing the fractional minutes like 9:54.59, instead of just calling it 9:55.

HTH