Author Topic: Atmocom interceptor UDP station driver v1.00 now available!  (Read 767 times)

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Atmocom interceptor UDP station driver v1.00 now available!
« on: February 16, 2019, 06:03:36 PM »
I have forked v1.03 of my WeatherFlow UDP station driver, and used it as the base for a new Atmocom interceptor UDP driver that I just committed as v1.00 to GitHub:

https://github.com/captain-coredump/weewx-atmocom-udp/

I made one huge improvement with this new driver: "wee_config --reconfigure" is fully supported...with a complete dialog for setting every option...and even builds a simple sensor_map for decoding Weather Underground packets!  (I promise to back-port this feature to the WF driver in the near future.)

The README file contains simple installation instructions, and also explains the sensor_map feature and configuration.  Without a proper sensor_map in weewx.conf, this driver will not log ANY data!  The sensor_map concept was borrowed from Matthew Wall’s weewx-SDR driver.  I enjoyed the hours that I spent writing the README file to explain everything, and hope that you enjoy reading it just as much when setting up this driver on your own system.

Before you curse me out for the added complexity of the sensor_map feature, let me explain the rationale.  I believe that the Atmocom interceptor device can re-broadcast observations from multiple stations, and want to provide the end user with the ability to mix-and-match measurements from multiple units if they have them.  Plus, stations can send data to multiple web services, and having the sensor_map being configurable will let someone do something like log outdoor measurements from Weather Underground updates but indoor measurements from Ambient Weather updates.

I do not own an Atmocom interceptor device or station that could even use it, so most of my personal testing was done on self-generated UDP packets.  The WeatherFlow UDP driver on which this is based has been running for almost a year now at multiple locations around the world with no reliability issues, so I do not anticipate any huge problems.

Note that I have not tested against live hardware for rain accumulation correctness.  If anyone finds a problem, please submit an issue in GitHub.

If deemed worthy, can someone please add it to the wiki and wherever third-party drivers are listed?

My usual disclaimer applies.  I am not a programmer by trade, and did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.  Please let me know via GitHub if you find any bugs.  Enjoy.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol: