Author Topic: Acurite 5 in 1 overstating rain  (Read 2563 times)

Offline tygunn

Acurite 5 in 1 overstating rain
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:38:04 AM »
I bought a meteobridge license with the hope of fixing the fact the acurite internet bridge would reset the rainfall total at random during the day, causing an understatement of rainfall.

I have moved on to MB instead, hooked up to my 5 in 1s USB console.  However I get the occasional spikes of rainfall rate with no accumulation or accumulation with no rainfall rate now.  This is causing it to look like it rains even when it doesn't. Anyone else seeing this problem?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Acurite 5 in 1 overstating rain
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 08:27:36 AM »
Just a bit of generic advice: check that your 5 in 1 sensor isn't swaying in the wind. TBR gauges are susceptible to motion causing the bucket to tip if there is a lot of movement up there.
There are other potential causes of course, but it would be good to eliminate this one.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline tygunn

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »
Just a bit of generic advice: check that your 5 in 1 sensor isn't swaying in the wind. TBR gauges are susceptible to motion causing the bucket to tip if there is a lot of movement up there.
There are other potential causes of course, but it would be good to eliminate this one.

Greg H.
Good tip.   My station is attached to the house with a mount I made of gas pipe.  Unless there have been quakes I wasn't aware of...  :)

The USB console reports no rain or rate of rainfall when this problem occurs.  Also the fact that I get either reported rainfall accumulation with no rate of rainfall or a rate of rainfall with no accumulation is what leads me to believe this is a software issue on meteobridge.  The only other potential issue I could see it being is bad data from the acurite console, which wouldn't surprise me either. 

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »
No issues like this on either of my (two) MB boxes.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline tygunn

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 04:59:56 PM »
Using an Acurite console?

I think it's just time to get a new weather station altogether.   My Acurite has been going for 6 years.   It's done it's duty. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 05:04:01 PM »
Acurite SmartHub/bridge
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline tygunn

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 09:23:51 PM »
Acurite SmartHub/bridge
Ah I'm not using the smart hub. 

Offline tygunn

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »

Yeah something is either up with the console or meteobridge.  These readings are way off. 

Offline tygunn

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 01:45:48 AM »
Well I've been trying to get support for around a month now with zero traction.   I'm about ready to just toss the tplink and meteobridge in the trash and move on to something else. 

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 08:45:20 AM »
Keep the meteobridge, you can use it with another station simply by changing the selection of the equipment you buy next. I feel it is your acurite console sending out corrupted data.

Offline tygunn

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 12:29:16 AM »
Keep the meteobridge, you can use it with another station simply by changing the selection of the equipment you buy next. I feel it is your acurite console sending out corrupted data.
I thought the Davis stations already have an IP interface to upload to weatherlink and weather underground.  Not sure what the advantage is to use the meteobridge.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 12:46:41 AM »
Not even close.  MB is far and away a better uploader.

Offline joegr

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »
I have a 1036 display.  I have/had the same problem of random indications of rain when using USB from the display to the Meteobridge.  This is not a sensor problem, as the display (with the USB connection to the Meteobridge) does not show any rainfall when this happens.  My assumption from that is that there is some data corruption between the 1036 display and the Meteobridge. I also noticed that I would rarely get very wrong temperature readings that went back to normal after the next reading.  These bad readings never showed on the display either.
I switched back to the hub (still with Meteobridge) and the issue went away.

Offline tygunn

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 08:40:20 PM »
When you say you went back to the hub do you mean the smarthub? 

Offline joegr

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 09:58:50 AM »
Yes.
I would rather the USB display, since it could work even when the internet is down. (I am mainly using this with my home automation.)
Using Meteobridge with the AcuRite hub, now the 1st hundredth of rainfall is almost never counted.  It shows on the rate, but not on the accumulation.  It worked correctly before all the AcuRite changes.

I think that when my current 5-in-1 fails, I will move to another brand rather than replacing it again.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 11:54:10 AM »
My MB does not count the first hundredth either. It is really not a big deal. My Oregon Scientific gauge only counted every 4 hundredths, but in the long run, was very precise at measuring when the totals started adding on.

Offline joegr

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 02:37:12 PM »
Yeah, that's not really a problem for me.  My problem is being dependent of the internet and on AcuRite's servers. 

Offline tygunn

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 08:46:56 PM »
I guess I can't complain.  My 5in1 cost $70 years ago at Costco.  It's served its purpose.  Only recently have I tried using it online to any degree.   As a standalone station it was great.

anything