Author Topic: Tripod mount distance above roof line?  (Read 15673 times)

blackjack52

Re: Tripod mount distance above roof line?
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2009, 11:16:13 PM »
Thanks SLO. The factors are proportional, at least very close, and the VWS db has the data needed.  The bucket tip factor may not need to be so precise, as only a slight wind/rainrate compensation would mean an improvement compared to no compensation.  I'll have to think about this one.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2009, 02:11:37 PM »
Wind shield designs: http://www.rap.ucar.edu/projects/marshall/Wind_Shields.html  There maybe an emphasis on catching proper snow fall amounts and avoiding drift and wind scour effects with these even more than fixing rain fall under catchment.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2009, 04:04:53 PM »
Some interesting links to wind shields - thanks. It seems like their goal is to reduce the effect of updrafting, which is a good thing, but I wonder how much it helps with those "horizontal rainstorms" when the rain comes in at a 30 degree angle or less!

A lot of them don't seem to be overly complicated in design/manufacture but they all give the gauge site a "look".

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2009, 12:31:06 AM »
Thanks SLO. The factors are proportional, at least very close, and the VWS db has the data needed.  The bucket tip factor may not need to be so precise, as only a slight wind/rainrate compensation would mean an improvement compared to no compensation.  I'll have to think about this one.

I've thought about it a little more. To be worth doing, the wind speed would have to be measured at or very near the rain gauge. For me to try to compensate using my anemometer, which is 100' away and 20' higher, would probably be worse than no compensation at all.

Data from a Davis VP2 with the anemometer mounted right on the ISS might be useful.

blackjack52

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
wind speed would have to be measured at or very near the rain gauge.
I agree.  My anemom and bucket are co-located.  I'll tinker w/ a script, but it'll be after next month to see a comparison....squals man....squals.