Poll

My Davis station (including replacements, upgrades, etc.) has been in more or less continuous use for:

< 1 year
19 (18.4%)
1 - 2 years
12 (11.7%)
2 - 3 years
15 (14.6%)
3 - 4 years
12 (11.7%)
4 - 5 years
16 (15.5%)
5 - 6 years
7 (6.8%)
> 6 years
15 (14.6%)
Don't own a Davis station
7 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: Longevity/Loyalty Poll  (Read 10090 times)

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: Longevity/Loyalty Poll
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 03:08:51 PM »
I started with a Digitar Weather Master Model-ALT-6 in '90 and it worked flawlessly without maintenance for 11 or 12 years.  Then sensors began to fail over a period of a few years.  First the wind speed, then the wind direction, then the outside temperature, and the final ignominy was when a fat bird perched on the wind vane and snapped it off.

So I began saving up a few years ago and bought/installed a wireless VP2 last August.  All this time I knew I would buy again from Davis as my first station was so absolutely reliable until it began to die.  The Davis office address is the same as the old Digitar headquarters.  I considered them to be the same organization.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 12:01:42 PM »
The university weather station VPro 2+ was bought 3 year ago to replace a WM 2. Just replaced the super cap and lithium battery. Gave it a full scrub job and cleaned the rain bucket. Still looking good. My station at home is just a year old and running fine (VPro 2....added solar back in the fall). Going to relocate it in the spring and put it on a higher pole. I started with a O/S WMR 968 but replaced it when the transmitters started to break off of their mounts. Loved the touch screen console but got tired of replacing broken transmitters.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 03:02:27 PM »
I started with a Digitar Weather Master Model-ALT-6 in '90 and it worked flawlessly without maintenance for 11 or 12 years.  Then sensors began to fail over a period of a few years.  First the wind speed, then the wind direction, then the outside temperature, and the final ignominy was when a fat bird perched on the wind vane and snapped it off.

So I began saving up a few years ago and bought/installed a wireless VP2 last August.  All this time I knew I would buy again from Davis as my first station was so absolutely reliable until it began to die.  The Davis office address is the same as the old Digitar headquarters.  I considered them to be the same organization.

And they are:  http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/1996/10/14/smallb1.html
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 12:09:55 PM »
Hello,

I have been a loyal Davis customer since, I obtain my first computerized weather station in May 1993 from Davis, which is the same Davis Weather Monitor II in operation today. I have had to replace the temp/Humidity sensor twice, once under warranty and later upgraded to improved Temp/Hudmity sensor after a second failure within the first two years since then no problems with the sensors. I did however have to replace the console unit once in 1999 so the unit would work correctly with the improved Temp/Hudmity sensor at the low humidity levels her in Arizona! This station still operates today as a back up.

It should be note that the station operated first in San Jose, Ca till 1997 and since 1997 in Arizona so the humidity issues did not show up untill I moved to desert.

The  weather website first came on line in March 2005 using the WM II for data feed, however I did upgrade to a Vantage Pro Plus in June 2007 This station which was also cabled station  with serial connection and has worked fine without problems since. :grin:

My only problems seem to be software related as ocasionally the weatherlink software 5.71 stops uploading new data from the station during web site uploads usually this can be corrected by placing the station in setup mode temporary and then restore the operation and new data starts downloading again but some records are lost inbetween #-o Davis has not figure out what the problem is but seems like a software glitch other than this minor frustation the Davis product has been reliable

Jeanette
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:12:38 PM by AZmonsooncats »
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline Don Curley

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 12:43:56 PM »
New member here.

I originally had a Weather Monitor II in the 80's (with the optional external temperature/humidity sensor and rain collector), and while that needed some TLC and upgrades now and again, it lasted the better part of 12 years along the northern California coastline.  After moving to southeastern Utah in '99, we purchased another Weather Monitor II unit, however, with the abundance of lightning in our new area (7000 foot elevation in the La Sal mountains), we never installed that wired unit ... and it's still "new" in the box.  We instead moved up to a wireless Vantage Pro (VP1) station.  In addition to the main station, I have 2 consoles, a repeater, 2 Weather Echo Plus units, and Weather Envoy.  My VP1 system has been in operation for approximately 8 years and has needed some parts and upgrades (the biggest one being the "plus" upgrade).  I would love to move up to the VP2 system, but that is a bit out of my budget at the current time.

Don

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 11:21:42 PM »
Had my davis wireless pro 2 since May 26th 2008, nothing done to it so far besides adding a solar sensor:)

Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co