Author Topic: Davis VP2 Upgrade  (Read 730 times)

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
Davis VP2 Upgrade
« on: August 11, 2018, 01:39:24 PM »
I broke down and finally purchased my next upgrade from Scaled Instruments for my Davis Vantage Pro2. When I originally purchased my VP2 about 6 years ago, I went with the standard wireless model (#6152), because of cost purposes. I have been wanting the 24hr FARS for my station for some time now as we have many days during the summer with warm temps and low wind, and low sun angles during the later months, but wasn't sure which route to go. I debated getting the Daytime FARS, but have heard all to often that in relatively higher latitudes like I am here in central Maine, there isn't enough direct sun to power the fan enough to run very effectively during the late fall, winter, and early spring months (which makes up 60% of the year here). I've also heard that with the smaller panel, it also doesn't run quite as strong, and it has a completely different panel setup than the 24hr FARS.

I also debated purchasing just the 24hr FARS kit that Ryan sells on his site (#6153s), but couldn't see spending the money on "just" a radiation shield. So I ended up spending a bit more  :lol: and going with the complete VP2 ISS w/24hr FARS (#6323). I figured I can set this ISS up and keep the one I currently have which is still performing great after 6+ years as a backup.

I just ordered it last night and am anxious for it to ship so that I can set it up and see if I notice much of a difference in temp readings with the 24hr FARS vs my current standard radiation shield. From what I've read, it sounds like the 24hr FARS is a great shield to have, and should be good to show rapidly changing temps which we see often, especially during the fall as the seasons begin to take a turn for the colder.

- Matt
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 01:41:25 PM by MonumentHillWeather »
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Davis VP2 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 02:48:23 PM »
I broke down and finally purchased my next upgrade from Scaled Instruments for my Davis Vantage Pro2. When I originally purchased my VP2 about 6 years ago, I went with the standard wireless model (#6152), because of cost purposes. I have been wanting the 24hr FARS for my station for some time now as we have many days during the summer with warm temps and low wind, and low sun angles during the later months, but wasn't sure which route to go. I debated getting the Daytime FARS, but have heard all to often that in relatively higher latitudes like I am here in central Maine, there isn't enough direct sun to power the fan enough to run very effectively during the late fall, winter, and early spring months (which makes up 60% of the year here). I've also heard that with the smaller panel, it also doesn't run quite as strong, and it has a completely different panel setup than the 24hr FARS.

I also debated purchasing just the 24hr FARS kit that Ryan sells on his site (#6153s), but couldn't see spending the money on "just" a radiation shield. So I ended up spending a bit more  :lol: and going with the complete VP2 ISS w/24hr FARS (#6323). I figured I can set this ISS up and keep the one I currently have which is still performing great after 6+ years as a backup.

I just ordered it last night and am anxious for it to ship so that I can set it up and see if I notice much of a difference in temp readings with the 24hr FARS vs my current standard radiation shield. From what I've read, it sounds like the 24hr FARS is a great shield to have, and should be good to show rapidly changing temps which we see often, especially during the fall as the seasons begin to take a turn for the colder.

- Matt
A "spare"!

That's what I've done; one working and the other in 'standby' mode...so that when I DO have to take the #1 station down for cleaning/maintenance, I simply switch over to the #2 station while #1 is being serviced, then switch back when done...without losing any data.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:49:56 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 02:52:07 PM »

- Matt
A "spare"!

That's what I've done; one working and the other in 'standby' mode...so that when I DO have to take the #1 station down for cleaning/maintenance, I simply switch over to the #2 station while #1 is being serviced, then switch back when done...without losing any data.
Nice! That's my plan at least. Have the new ISS as my main station once that arrives, and the 6 year old as my spare.
   - Matt
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »
I broke down and finally purchased my next upgrade from Scaled Instruments for my Davis Vantage Pro2.

- Matt

Did you order a complete VP2 system including a new console or just a new ISS? I recently purchased the VP2 with the 24 hour fan including a new console. That I did, but since then, there has been at least two threads in this Forum that concludes the 24 hour fan may increase temperature accuracy but actually reduce humidity accuracy!

Here is a link to one of the threads:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34658.0

If you do decide to read the above thread, you will need a lot of time and may get buyer’s remorse on your purchase! Do read but I have no regrets on my purchase. You shouldn’t either.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:11:59 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 06:00:43 AM »
I broke down and finally purchased my next upgrade from Scaled Instruments for my Davis Vantage Pro2.

- Matt

Did you order a complete VP2 system including a new console or just a new ISS? I recently purchased the VP2 with the 24 hour fan including a new console. That I did, but since then, there has been at least two threads in this Forum that concludes the 24 hour fan may increase temperature accuracy but actually reduce humidity accuracy!

Here is a link to one of the threads:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34658.0

If you do decide to read the above thread, you will need a lot of time and may get buyer’s remorse on your purchase! Do read but I have no regrets on my purchase. You shouldn’t either.

I ended up going with just the new ISS. I already have a VP2 console and a vue console for my current setup.
I have heard that it may actually cause the dew point to jump around a bit more, but I don’t completely mind that. Temps are more important to me. Lucky for me I have a very good siting location over grass, so hopefully my dew point jumps are minimal. We’ll have to wait and see I guess!
   - Matt
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

anything