Author Topic: TWC vs. DirecTV  (Read 28972 times)

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Re: TWC vs. DirecTV
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2014, 10:08:30 PM »
Looks like TWC is stooping to new lows to try and regain some of the 20 million viewers they lost. First I come upon this on the Weather Underground site (see attachment) and then I clicked the banner to see what was up. To see for yourself go to http://www.keeptheweatherchannel.com/ Incredible!!!

Don in Ohio

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2014, 10:10:48 PM »
Calling right now. NOT!  :roll: Now that freaking desperate!

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2014, 11:07:42 PM »
Unbelievable!

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2014, 04:34:32 AM »
Yeah, so who's gonna start throwing lines to that sinking ship? Don't wait for me   :lol:
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2014, 08:05:31 AM »
The TWC should of seen this coming and acted months ago. Others that have shifted programming to heavy doses of filler commercials and reality TV should take warning also. I can see in the future when contracts are up many more, including large bundled blocks of programming being dropped.
The inflationary rate increases from cable and satellite industry has to be slowed. Cutting junk TV is a step.   
Randy

Offline tbern

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2014, 08:40:26 AM »
I used their link to send a email to them asking them how I can get dish to drop the weather channel also.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2014, 08:55:09 AM »
I think the move should be to "a la cart" TV, where we can pick and chose the channels we want to pay for. They need to stop forcing us to pay for many channels we don't want bundled with those few we do want.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2014, 09:46:56 AM »
I used their link to send a email to them asking them how I can get dish to drop the weather channel also.

Any response yet? Lmao :lol:

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2014, 10:07:17 AM »
It just shows how dumb the management of TWC is to be circling the wagons this late in the game...are they that big on themselves?, or are they really that stupid? I also sent an email this morning, but I won't get any response to what I said to them.......too bad
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »
Randy

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2014, 12:14:55 PM »
Sad part about this whole thing is the route they have taken over the years of being something valuable and interesting to watch to nothing more of a hype and commercialized weather info site. Also, there are some very knowledgable people there that have gotten pulled into this hype and ultimate downward spiral.

Jim

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »
Sad part about this whole thing is the route they have taken over the years of being something valuable and interesting to watch to nothing more of a hype and commercialized weather info site. Also, there are some very knowledgable people there that have gotten pulled into this hype and ultimate downward spiral.

Jim

It's kind of like remembering when HLN show news, MTV showed music, and HBO showed movies.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2014, 08:11:39 AM »
TWC appears desperate these days.  This article from Slate contains a self-serving Q&A with the Weather Co. CEO David Kenn.  TWC is still full of itself and doesn't get it.  They really need to rethink things from top to bottom/beginning to end.  They should split off their entertainment onto a separate channel and keep the weather intact 24/7 on a different channel if they're going to pander to the tastes of everyone.  And they should keep their asinine winter storm names on the entertainment channel!
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2014, 08:29:32 PM »
making its rounds on Twitter

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Ingesecition

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
 I just switched from DirecTV to TWC. That said, I am primarily using Tivo Premiers. I do have a TWC Whole Home DVR setup as that was part of the win back deal, but I hope not to have to use it much. Navigator isn't great, but neither was DirecTV's interface after they dumped Tivo and went their own way.
Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2014, 10:21:07 AM »
I just switched from DirecTV to TWC.

Perhaps you should read the thread first.  We're not talking about the TWC cable provider that is a competitor to satellite.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
New article today

A sudden change in the weather means real money for Paul Falavolito. When a snowstorm rolls in, the chief of a small, non-profit ambulance service in White Oak, Pa., has to keep paramedics in ambulance bays longer. If there's a break in the weather, he can let idling crews go home rather than paying them overtime.
So Falavolito was outraged last month when he flipped on DirecTV's replacement weather service, WeatherNation TV. As a swirling snowstorm swept through the Northeast, closing schools and knocking out power, Falavolito watched meteorologist Rob Koch give a seven-day forecast for Los Angeles: Mostly sunny, with highs in the 70s and 80s.

"I was just extremely disappointed," says Falavolito, 43. "I'm reading tweets about hundreds of thousands of people on the East Coast that don't have power. WeatherNation was talking about the weather in Los Angeles. To me, it's very unacceptable."

Since Jan. 13, El Segundo, Calif.-based DirecTV has replaced The Weather Channel with WeatherNation TV in a dispute over fees. The move is angering customers—people like Falavolito, who say WeatherNation is a poor substitute that offers rote seven-day forecasts without the in-depth analysis of people like Weather Channel star Jim Cantore.

Standoffs like the one between The Weather Channel and DirecTV are becoming commonplace as TV content producers demand higher fees from the cable and satellite companies that carry their programming. The higher fees, say pay-TV providers, result in ballooning bills for consumers. What makes the current dispute different is that DirecTV is raising a new argument for the smartphone era: Why pay high fees for weather reports when consumers can get all sorts of free forecasts on their mobile devices?

There are more than a dozen weather apps for smartphones. Apple's Siri voice assistant can even tell you if you need an umbrella. What's more, say DirecTV officials, when viewers turn on The Weather Channel, they have a 40 percent chance of catching a reality TV program.

Although DirecTV's arguments ring true for tech-savvy consumers, hardcore weather junkies say better information matters.

Take Chris Gemmell, a 67-year-old former business consultant who now runs a lavender farm in Knox, Pa., with his wife. When the forecast predicts consecutive days of summer rain, Gemmell doubles his staff to some 20 workers, who dig trenches and drain fields to prevent soon-to-be-soaked lavender roots from rotting. He prefers that the work is done before the downpour, "so you're not out there in your Wellies."

On CNN, Gemmell saw the traffic jams in Atlanta that resulted from a sudden winter storm and was scornful of WeatherNation's "rote manner" of reporting seven-day forecasts around the country.

"There's no real reason to have the audio up," Gemmell says. "All the meteorologist is saying is it's going to be 14 for a high and six for a low in Cleveland. I can read that. Then he'll move on. There's no science behind what we should expect."

The dispute has provided a major opportunity for Denver-based WeatherNation TV. Overnight, its distribution jumped from 10 million pay TV homes to 30 million. The newfound attention has brought a new level of scrutiny to its weather reports, some of which plays out on Twitter in less-than-polite terms.

Its executives take umbrage at the criticism that its broadcasts often are on tape-delay during severe weather events.

"Let me be real clear: We don't run on a 3-hour loop," says Michael Norton, president of WeatherNation. If some city forecasts are repeated, it's because "those models don't change minute to minute."

When it comes to severe weather, like the ice storm that turned Atlanta's highways into a slick parking lot, WeatherNation sometimes relies on local TV station partners like Atlanta's WXIA-TV for coverage. And sometimes it puts its own boots on the ground.

"During Hurricane Sandy, I had seven crews along the East Coast," Norton says. "I think there's a misunderstanding of what we provide."

Paul Douglas, the veteran meteorologist who founded the precursor to WeatherNation TV in 2008, continues to be the channel's best-known weatherman. He says the company is trying to balance in-depth coverage of major storms with nationwide forecasts, because "the rest of America sort of feels left out in the cold sometimes."

"Achieving that balance is tricky but it's essential and something we take very seriously," Douglas says.

WeatherNation TV is working with DirecTV to improve its service, and on Monday it enabled a "local button" on subscribers' remote controls that displays a quick snapshot of the local weather on the TV. A graphic showing weather specific to the ZIP code area will pop up every 10 minutes, starting within a week. And in March, WeatherNation TV will launch a six-screens-in-one coverage platform for weather events that are potentially life-threatening. Viewers will be able to zoom in on the main WeatherNation feed, local broadcast stations in affected areas, live remotes from meteorologists in the field, radar maps, advisories or live coverage from national networks like CNN and Fox.

DirecTV's chief content officer, Dan York, says the new services mean DirecTV is offering "more in-depth local and severe weather coverage than any other TV provider."

Since the blackout, The Weather Channel has been running an all-out campaign to shame DirecTV into reaching a deal. Late last week, the company took out ads in newspapers including USA Today, Miami Herald and The Wall Street Journal, accusing DirecTV of breaking promises, dropping channels and at the same time, hiking monthly bills by 3.7 percent. It claims its protest website, http://www.keeptheweatherchannel.com , has had 6.4 million visitors and says that more than 283,000 DirecTV customers have pledged to switch providers due to the blackout.

David Kenny, The Weather Channel's CEO, says DirecTV picked this fight because the channel is a standalone offering that doesn't have the leverage of companies that own multiple channels such as Disney or Viacom. The channel can't give in for a number of reasons, not least of which is that if it acquiesces to DirecTV's fee-cut demands, it would have to slash rates to its other distribution partners, a prospect that Moody's Investors Service warned could result in a cut to the channel owner's credit ratings.

Kenny says he is well aware of the consequences of keeping up the fight, and says the channel remains on track to maintain its audience levels even without DirecTV. It has diversified its business with its own mobile app and makes money delivering its service to airlines and energy traders. And he says that the channel's reality TV shows like "Coast Guard Alaska" do well in the evenings, but are pulled in favor of live coverage any time serious weather occurs.

"It's better for us to weather this storm than to cave to a bully," Kenny says.

Some people think the dispute can prod The Weather Channel to refocus its mission on, well, the weather.

Chris Pawelski, a 47-year-old onion farmer near Florida, N.Y., already uses a dozen weather apps on his phone, and has an insatiable thirst for weather information.

He sees the dispute as helping The Weather Channel refine its focus back on the weather, especially when his livelihood is at stake every time storm clouds appear.

"I don't want to see 'Prospectors,'" he says, referring to a reality show about miners who try to dig up and sell valuable minerals. "I want to see if I get nailed by hail. That's my main concern."

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2014, 04:19:56 PM »
New article today

A sudden change in the weather means real money for Paul Falavolito. When a snowstorm rolls in, the chief of a small, non-profit ambulance service in White Oak, Pa., has to keep paramedics in ambulance bays longer. If there's a break in the weather, he can let idling crews go home rather than paying them overtime.
So Falavolito was outraged last month when he flipped on DirecTV's replacement weather service, WeatherNation TV. As a swirling snowstorm swept through the Northeast, closing schools and knocking out power, Falavolito watched meteorologist Rob Koch give a seven-day forecast for Los Angeles: Mostly sunny, with highs in the 70s and 80s.

"I was just extremely disappointed," says Falavolito, 43. "I'm reading tweets about hundreds of thousands of people on the East Coast that don't have power. WeatherNation was talking about the weather in Los Angeles. To me, it's very unacceptable."

To me, it's very unacceptable that anyone in such a position would be looking at any national source instead of a local source.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »
New article today

To me, it's very unacceptable that anyone in such a position would be looking at any national source instead of a local source.

I agree with Weatherhost. Most, if not all, Emergency Management organizations have extensive weather forecasting resources they can access on a 24/7 basis. Relying on The Weather Channel, WeatherNation TV or any other for-profit organization is simply asking for problems. I am a member of a local CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) here in Douglas County, Nevada. We have direct contact with the NWS in Reno when severe weather is expected. We do not rely at all on commercial TV. They can certainly be helpful but we never depend on them for forecasting or current weather status.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2014, 11:21:12 PM »
New article today

Exactly.  If i had a business directly affected by weather, I 'd be in touch with the NWS.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2014, 12:29:39 AM »
"Let me be real clear: We don't run on a 3-hour loop," says Michael Norton, president of WeatherNation."

Ummmm, that's not entirely true.  I know they do a 2-hour loop and sometimes a 3-hour loop because when I'm doing stuff around the house and I have WN on in the back ground, I usually look at it on the hour or at half-past the hour.  They make the same mistakes showing the same video and mispronouncing names every time.  So I think he should take that statement back.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2014, 07:27:10 AM »
New article today
Who was the source for this article? This day and age, the source has a lot to do with spin put on stories.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2014, 05:38:31 PM »
forgot the author

By RYAN NAKASHIMA
AP Business Writer

I saw it in the St. Paul paper

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2014, 07:17:05 PM »
Directv came out with an app today, tune into WeatherNation channel 362, and push red button. Enter zip with number pad and it works.
Press release here: http://investor.directv.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2014/DIRECTV-and-WeatherNation-Enhance-Coverage-with-Local-Weather-Now-Instant-Access-and-a-New-Severe-Weather-Mix-to-Be-Activated-During-Major-Weather-Events/default.aspx

I tried this. It works about the same as the old DirecTV Weather Channel local "get it now" function. There was a mention about radar "coming soon". I hope that it isn't as tiny as TWC radar depiction was.

The only drawback to either WN or TWC, is that you have to wait so long for them to get around to your area. This new function helps.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF