Author Topic: WMR100A - high temp readings  (Read 3839 times)

Offline grwkak

• Wilsons Weather
WMR100A - high temp readings
« on: May 28, 2009, 07:52:50 PM »
Odd problem with my WMR100A.  The outdoor temp spiked last night to over 150F - then went down over time.  Now its at 91F when it should be around 68-70F.  You can see this on:

http://wilsonsweather.110mb.com/wx.htm

Reset the console and reset the sensor - still the same problem.  I also saw this in the winter (once) where the temp went to 70F for a while when it was actually in the teens.

Any suggestions?

Guy

OS WMR100A
VWS  V14.00 p24

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: WMR100A - high temp readings
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:37:08 PM »
You reset the sensor and consoles.  What about batteries?  My 968 temp sensors just die, but I know my pressure sensor spike when low on juice....  Hopefully its that .... or someone is holding a lighter under your sensor when you are not looking....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline grwkak

• Wilsons Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »
It seems to be drifting down to normal - odd....

Update - no, it oscillates!  The temperatures are more "normal" - but it seems to cycle high (e.g. 81F last night) then go low (right now at 59F - which may be close to what it really is).  Any suggestions anyone?  I may replace the batteries, but I have a gut feel that may be a waste of money!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 08:01:41 AM by grwkak »

OS WMR100A
VWS  V14.00 p24

Offline grwkak

• Wilsons Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 06:12:30 PM »
Replaced the batteries - still has the same problem.  It may be linked to rain - after it rains I see these oscillations.  I wonder if I should just replace the unit?

OS WMR100A
VWS  V14.00 p24

Offline grwkak

• Wilsons Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 09:33:48 PM »
After some monitoring - it appears to be related to moisture (rain or high humidity).

I found another post in another weather forum (unfortunately did not note where) that talked about a similar problem.  They took the unit apart and epoxied the temp sensor.

I have tried this - I was able to disassemble and used a little epoxy on the glass tipped thermocouple.  It may be cracked, which then causes high temps when moisture gets in.  Will let you know how it goes!

OS WMR100A
VWS  V14.00 p24

Offline grwkak

• Wilsons Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 06:57:15 AM »
Epoxy on the sensor did not seem to help - my temp readings went up 10 F when humidity rose to 98%+.  In addition I seem to have damaged the wind speed sensor when taking apart.

So I purchased a replacement sensor (wind/temp/humidity) from ebay ($79, but cheaper than a new unit).  Arrived yesterday, installed last night.  So far so good!

OS WMR100A
VWS  V14.00 p24

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 06:59:26 AM »
Mine is doing exactly the same thing. Starting sometime after midnight, the temp will rise to 90 or so and hang around there until the sun gets high enough to hit the sensor. At that point it falls rapidly to what might be a normal temperature (around 8 am or so). It's always worse when it's humid, not so when it's dry. And now my humidity is low, less than half what it should be.

I wasn't sure how to take it apart without tearing something up. I'm ready to throw it all away and get a Davis.

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 07:09:18 AM »
Mine is doing exactly the same thing. Starting sometime after midnight, the temp will rise to 90 or so and hang around there until the sun gets high enough to hit the sensor. At that point it falls rapidly to what might be a normal temperature (around 8 am or so). It's always worse when it's humid, not so when it's dry. And now my humidity is low, less than half what it should be.

I wasn't sure how to take it apart without tearing something up. I'm ready to throw it all away and get a Davis.

I think it could be a bad connection, if it's worse when the humidity is high.
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 02:12:42 PM »
The problem is, I'm not sure it can be taken apart. Anyone?

anything