Author Topic: FARS and WH1081/Zephyr PWS  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
FARS and WH1081/Zephyr PWS
« on: February 18, 2010, 05:38:27 PM »
I have a Zephy PWS-1000 which is Fine Offset or Watson, etc. and wondering if anyone has purchased/made a FARS for this, and if so how did it work out. I think mine is fine now, but come summer I have my doubts it will continue to be accurate during the hot daytime.

Thanks,

Todd

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: FARS and WH1081/Zephyr PWS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 06:03:19 PM »
Todd, here is how I built mine. I had a similar "shield" as yours originally which is designed primarily to keep the rain off and that's all. http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6486.0 . If you do build one yourself there are several things to consider, if you add an internal chute or tube then you'll need to run the fan 24/7. Otherwise air will not move as fast through and readings won't be as accurate. However if you just use close spacing of the bowls and use no chute/tube inside (as pictured here) with the sensor mounted low away from the top, then you will have adequate ventilation at night an can run daytime fan only.

Dan
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:05:13 PM by DanS »

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 06:19:19 PM »
That's great, is it the solar charger that keeps the fan running so it pretty much shuts down after dark, or does yours charge some kind of battery pack? Very cool design with the bakelite bowls!

Todd

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:25:05 PM »
The solar panel is connected directly to the fan so the fan runs only from dawn to dusk when the sun's heat is a concern. No battery/charger issues to deal with.

Dan

anything