Author Topic: Weather Sticks  (Read 4837 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Weather Sticks
« on: December 13, 2009, 12:02:09 AM »
    I was exploring a weather shop today and I came across a "Canadian Weather Stick".  Does anyone have any experience with these?  I know they are somewhat of a novelty and they are not expensive by any means but if they don't do anything I can get a stick out of the yard for that.  Do these do anything or are they more in the line of the Redneck "weather rope"?  Might get one for my dads birthday.    Thanks all, =D> =D>  One is shown below.  Oh, and does it only work in Canada ;) ;) :lol:?
         MG

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: Weather Sticks
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 12:11:36 AM »
Mine went up and down with the humidity for a few years (maybe 5) and then it eventually snapped itself.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 12:30:07 AM »
   I was exploring a weather shop today and I came across a "Canadian Weather Stick".  Does anyone have any experience with these?  I know they are somewhat of a novelty and they are not expensive by any means but if they don't do anything I can get a stick out of the yard for that.  Do these do anything or are they more in the line of the Redneck "weather rope"?  Might get one for my dads birthday.    Thanks all, =D> =D>  One is shown below.  Oh, and does it only work in Canada ;) ;) :lol:?
         MG

I found this site and it has an interesting hisory page.  I had never heard of this before today.  They call it "biodegradable" which means it's not going to last too long.   :roll:

http://www.theweatherstick.com/index.html
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 12:50:33 AM »
  I have here a Maine weather sick. which I belive is the same thing. Taken from a Balsam evergreen. and it moves up and down according to the humidity. Had this one for about 10 years now and it works fairly well for this location. Too much humidity most of the time. It is wring out of the air

John

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 08:16:35 AM »
I've had my recent weather stick for two years now. I had my previous one (which my husband broke), for three years. It's been working well :-)
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 11:50:04 AM »
Never heard of them before, but got lots of 'Canadian' sticks and will price match any advertised price plus additional 10% Forum discount.  I think they work.  Last time we had freezing rain they were right on prediction... my Canadian sticks fell off :!:

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »
I've had one for many, many years. Believe it or not, they are pretty darn accurate.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Carson Weather

• Contributor
    • http://www.carsonweather.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 02:48:16 PM »
I've had one for 3 or 4 years.
It has gone horizontal a couple of times during rainy periods (which are few and far between here in NV)

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 08:03:59 PM »
kind of the same theory as a dry pine cone!
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php

anything