Author Topic: Rainwise MK-III  (Read 12805 times)

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
Rainwise MK-III
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:10:55 AM »
Does anyone own this unit?  If so, what are your reviews?  I am asking because I am thinking about buying the sensor and display(s) separately to put together my room by room system.  Out of curiosity, is the barometer sensor located in the display?

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
Re: Rainwise MK-III
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »
Looks like no one owns this puppy?  OK, how about the TWI cabled stations? 

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:09:16 PM »
I looked into these but didn't think they had as many options as Davis.
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »
Does anyone own this unit?  If so, what are your reviews?  I am asking because I am thinking about buying the sensor and display(s) separately to put together my room by room system.  Out of curiosity, is the barometer sensor located in the display?

I've been using Rainwise for over 10 years.  They are rugged and reliable. 

You can see mine in action here:

http://members.cox.net/jbecker31/

no...all sensors reside in the main outside housing. 

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:19:10 PM »
I really like the display.  Thanks for the info.

I've been using Rainwise for over 10 years.  They are rugged and reliable. 

You can see mine in action here:

http://members.cox.net/jbecker31/

no...all sensors reside in the main outside housing. 

Offline Feelgood Ranch

• Feelgood Ranch Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 01:18:05 PM »
Have owned both earlier wired and later the wireless unit.  Never a problem with wireless model but many problems with lightning inductance burning out chips in the wired display units.  Live in mountains in Mt. and severe weather conditions...have recorded winds of 111 mph. and cold harsh temps...etc.   Support with Rainwise (Lonnie White) has been excellent. My unit is mounted on a 30 ft. aluminum mast and for past 5 years have had no problems.
Probably greatest feature of displays is that 1: you can read across the room with the LED display which is not the case with liquid crystal displays.  2: multiple displays are a nice option....I have 5 displays scattered around the house and shop.  They are quality...pricey....but you get what you pay for.  Weather site:
feelgoodranchweather.com

Ken Keyes
RainWise MkIII-LR, WeatherView 32 v8, StarDotXL 3mp cam, Boltek PCI lightning detector/L2K, CWOP/CW4669, Weather For You
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMTBOZEM2&wuSelect=PWS
http://www.anythingweather.com/current.aspx?id=22721

Offline rjoc

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 04:09:59 AM »
We have one at my work-place; a police station dispatch center. Unfortunately we have had numerous problems. First of which is rainfall rates are erratic...totals are way out of sync...for example every time a hundredth of an inch of rain falls, it shows as .25", and doubles itseff over and over...We were advised that it is caused by radio interference. Wind speed occasionally cuts out, and I noticed last weekend, after a major snowstorm the temperatures were 10 degrees low. I figured maybe snow blew inside the sensor and finally melted, as  a couple days later the tmps seemed normal.
I hate to diminish a locally-made product manufactured in next town over, Bar Harbor, Maine; but have been disapointed. Also had an earlier version MK1 at my house which had to have wind sensor replaced after only a year. And it also, was subject to erratic rainfall readings; which they also attricuted to radio interference.

I replaced mine with the original Vantage Pro...it has lasted 6 years..and I'm disappointed in it too, as it has had two anemometer transmitter replacements, and one replacement for the temp/rain gauge combo. I would have expected longer life from it. Debating whether to replace it with a VP2.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 04:57:26 PM »
 :eek:  Oh, oh...not happy with either a RainWise or a Davis!  :!:

Perhaps you'd share more disappointment if you owned Oregon Scientific model.  I do, and have been frustrated by it for a while.

I believe the RainWise is ruggedly built, but had no history about it's component integrity, and have been "pushing" other members of this forum to consider it.

Oh well...seems like nothing is built to last nowadays...oh well.  :-(

:???:
Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 05:06:45 PM »

Perhaps you'd share more disappointment if you owned Oregon Scientific model.  I do, and have been frustrated by it for a while.

I believe the RainWise is ruggedly built, but had no history about it's component integrity, and have been "pushing" other members of this forum to consider it.

Henry

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »

Henry

Oh, LOL!!  =D>  :!:  ;)

Good one, Dan!  :lol:

You are one funny fellow!  :lol:  =D>

Very good!

8-)
Henry

KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline rjoc

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 10:33:04 PM »

Henry

I should add, that I am in a pretty harsh marine environment here along the Maine Coast, and that is exactly why I expect more from RainWise, being made right here on the Maine Coast, to be a little more rugged and reliable.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 06:06:32 PM »
 :-(  Doesn't appear that there are too many RainWise folks subscribed to this forum.
I wish there were.  ;)

8-)
Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »
:-(  Doesn't appear that there are too many RainWise folks subscribed to this forum.
I wish there were.  ;)

8-)
Henry

Henry,

One of these long weekends when the weather is nice, you're just going to have to drive up to Maine and buy you one of those Rainwise stations.  Then there would be at least one Rainwise owner posting on this forum.  
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
 :grin: Ah, Greg :!:  You are funny, man.  Your posts always make me laugh.  :lol:
For sure, I'm just going to have to purchase one of those RainWise stations...no matter what!  \:D/

8-)
Henry

:-(  Doesn't appear that there are too many RainWise folks subscribed to this forum.
I wish there were.  ;)

8-)
Henry

Henry,

One of these long weekends when the weather is nice, you're just going to have to drive up to Maine and buy you one of those Rainwise stations.  Then there would be at least one Rainwise owner posting on this forum.  
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 06:40:22 PM »
I wish there were.  ;)

8-)
Henry

Henry,

... along with VaJim who appears to love his RainWise.  Man, it must be nice to have all that money just dripping off you guys!  :mrgreen:

Offline rjoc

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
It may be worth your trip...You can get a substantial discount if you do buy their equipment at their showroom in Bar Harbor! But you'll have to pay 5% Maine Sales Tax.

I wish there were.  ;)

8-)
Henry

Henry,

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 05:48:58 AM »
Rjoc, perhaps you and Henry could strike up a little deal  :roll: to save him the trip up there and you could earn a profit (just under the cost of Henry's gas bill to make it interesting). hmmm... ;)

Offline rjoc

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 04:43:35 PM »
Rjoc, perhaps you and Henry could strike up a little deal  :roll: to save him the trip up there and you could earn a profit (just under the cost of Henry's gas bill to make it interesting). hmmm... ;)

If  interested, contact me....always willing to help out a fellow weather person.

rjoc

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 05:27:04 PM »
 :-)  It's interesting the the Cooperative Extension Agency in my state has "issued" those RainWise stations to farmers to assist with their Integrated Pest Management Program (IPM).
I understand the Agency performed extensive testing and chose the RainWise over others.
I wish I had signed up at the time...never know, I could have received a station for volunteering, although I don't have a farm.
Hey Greg!
You have a farm, eh?
 8-)
Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »
Hey Greg!
You have a farm, eh?
 8-)
Henry

LOL  I was just thinking that as I was reading your post Henry!   :lol:

I've got 5.5 acres, which probably doesn't constitute a "farm".  My wife calls it the "farmette".  Plus, I've got a 30-30 and a crossbow for the Bambi...err...I mean pests.   8-)

I did spend some time on their website the other day.  It looks like top-notch equipment.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:54:37 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 06:07:39 PM »
 :-)  I wish I could show everyone the ruggedness of the RainWise.
I inspected one, up close and personal.  It is amazing.
I'm not a salesman for it...just know from my observations it is built like a tank.

Greg: compared to most of us...you definitely have a farm, not a farmette.
 :lol:

I wish I could afford that much land.  I often reply to my wife when she asks me where I'm going with my glass of wine: "I'm going to survey our compound..."
 \:D/ :lol: \:D/ :lol:

8-)
Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 06:15:12 PM »

If  interested, contact me....always willing to help out a fellow weather person.

rjoc

Henry, did you see this?  Here's your chance on a platter!  :grin:

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 06:33:57 PM »

I wish I could afford that much land.  I often reply to my wife when she asks me where I'm going with my glass of wine: "I'm going to survey our compound..."
 8-)
Henry

Land spreadin' out so far and wide.......
Keep Manhattan just give me that countryside.........

la la la  UU
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »

I wish I could afford that much land.  I often reply to my wife when she asks me where I'm going with my glass of wine: "I'm going to survey our compound..."
 8-)
Henry

Land spreadin' out so far and wide.......
Keep Manhattan just give me that countryside.........

la la la  UU

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:38:51 PM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 07:13:26 PM »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything