Author Topic: accuracy of what is presented  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
accuracy of what is presented
« on: February 27, 2018, 08:28:18 PM »
I have had a dialogue with Bruce from Davis for a while now.   I have a new Envoy and New IP logger , set up correctly.   The rain totals on the Envoy for the month differ greatly from what is on the console.  I have set it correctly , the yearly total is fine, but the monthly is way off.  I have power cycled the Envoy. Shut it down, taken off the logger for a few hours, no power  and started back up and no change.   Then there is the email report that you can send to where ever, and that is off with the rain totals as well. 
Now I have also an IP logger for WL 1.0 and it is just fine as is the USB Envoy. 

So I have said several times to Bruce, I think the problem is how the Web version computes and stores rain fall. There seems no way to correct that .  with version 1 sure, version 2 no.   

Once again, Davis isn't offering to go in and check the difference.   I said that since the month is about up lets see how things work out for March.     The other thought would be for Davis to go into their data base and completely remove all traces of this logger. Of course with the  Davis software experience from the past  that isn't going to happen.

My concern is this.  I use my WL 1.0  to generate the data for my web page and it is fine.  I can change everything and it shows up on the WL page .  But with the WL2.0  for me it isn't working.

So this is what I need to find out,  has anyone had similar situation with similar results, or even tried the email reports and checked for the same values?

snapshot 402 is the correct values

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Re: accuracy of what is presented
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 03:28:39 AM »
I have had a dialogue with Bruce from Davis for a while now.   I have a new Envoy and New IP logger , set up correctly.   The rain totals on the Envoy for the month differ greatly from what is on the console.  I have set it correctly , the yearly total is fine, but the monthly is way off.  I have power cycled the Envoy. Shut it down, taken off the logger for a few hours, no power  and started back up and no change.   Then there is the email report that you can send to where ever, and that is off with the rain totals as well. 
Now I have also an IP logger for WL 1.0 and it is just fine as is the USB Envoy. 

So I have said several times to Bruce, I think the problem is how the Web version computes and stores rain fall. There seems no way to correct that .  with version 1 sure, version 2 no.   

Once again, Davis isn't offering to go in and check the difference.   I said that since the month is about up lets see how things work out for March.     The other thought would be for Davis to go into their data base and completely remove all traces of this logger. Of course with the  Davis software experience from the past  that isn't going to happen.

My concern is this.  I use my WL 1.0  to generate the data for my web page and it is fine.  I can change everything and it shows up on the WL page .  But with the WL2.0  for me it isn't working.

So this is what I need to find out,  has anyone had similar situation with similar results, or even tried the email reports and checked for the same values?

snapshot 402 is the correct values
@other readers
The Envoy has the same functionality as a console, but no display and buttons so only by using a WeatherLink program, you can install the device.
@Aardvark
Did you set the envoy + logger correctly using Weatherlink/Mac  ?
Especially the date/time must be OK to start with.
Using that WeatherLink program, you can set the yearly rain but  not the monthly rain as I remember correctly.
The envoy can only calculate for the current month, the total rain measured. The first month of operation it will miss the rainfall of the past days.
IMHO, the correct monthly rain total will only be available after the end of this month.

As WL.com  v1 and v2 fully depend on the current (1/min) and archive (/hr) data uploaded, both wl.com versions will show the too low value also.
1.  IP-logger+ console =>  all OK as you can set monthly rain on the console itself
2. IP-logger + Envoy setup with WL.exe => monthly rain in first month is missing a few days, after the first month all will be OK also.

===

All tests with WL.com v2 show correct values for current and past data.
The move from v1 to v2 is not tested as all v2 users are new users. But I doubt that there will be any problems with historical data as the local logger is not affected by the move. It will simply continue to upload the already correct data.

Wim
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:49:12 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 08:37:47 AM »
I do appreciate your interest and suggestions. 
The Envoy was set up correctly,  and you are right the Envoy can't update the month, but only the year.    the concern is that WL 2.0  the differences in the reports ,  their email report indicates a grossly different annual rain fall compared with their web presence.

The WL 1.0 logger is connected to a console  which is able to change values.   Today is the last day of the month and the logger didn't show up for the 2.0 until mid month, so tomorrow at Midnight  I will assume things settle out.   

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 03:21:33 AM »
Today is the last day of the month and the logger didn't show up for the 2.0 until mid month, so tomorrow at Midnight  I will assume things settle out. 
I think the rain figures are correct now for v2?

IMPORTANT, as you are using wl.com v1 for getting at your weather-data using an xml load, did you contact wl.com staff to obtain the api-keys?
As you are the only person I know of to have access to both v1 and v2 of wl.com you are in a prime position to test the "How to get the API-key"-procedure.

Please explain to davis-wl.com staff that you  need api-keys to get at your own data and that you need your OWN data frequently, at 1 or 2 minutes intervals and that you will not use these keys to access someone else data.

If they sent you the keys, we can use your current website to test if your v2 data is compatible with the scripts. And if the data is identical for the current conditions.
If a problem would arise you could go back to version 1, we will adapt a script and test again.

It would certainly help other users which only have 1 WLIP and have to wait until they get a message that they are transferred to v2. At that moment their site/scripts will not be updated until they get their own API-keys. But until today there is no document with a "how-to".

Wim
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:23:09 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 08:24:55 AM »
Today is the last day of the month and the logger didn't show up for the 2.0 until mid month, so tomorrow at Midnight  I will assume things settle out. 

IMPORTANT, as you are using wl.com v1 for getting at your weather-data using an xml load, did you contact wl.com staff to obtain the api-keys?
As you are the only person I know of to have access to both v1 and v2 of wl.com you are in a prime position to test the "How to get the API-key"-procedure.

Please explain to davis-wl.com staff that you  need api-keys to get at your own data and that you need your OWN data frequently, at 1 or 2 minutes intervals and that you will not use these keys to access someone else data.

If they sent you the keys, we can use your current website to test if your v2 data is compatible with the scripts. And if the data is identical for the current conditions.
If a problem would arise you could go back to version 1, we will adapt a script and test again.

It would certainly help other users which only have 1 WLIP and have to wait until they get a message that they are transferred to v2. At that moment their site/scripts will not be updated until they get their own API-keys. But until today there is no document with a "how-to".

Wim

I just sent them an email for that information.   When I get the information, I will let you know.  Being it is Thursday and I sent it to a specific person who has been working with me with other issues on WL2  perhaps it won't be as long as it normally has been.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »

Wim

I called them and they emailed me a form with this request.  I assume you want xml?

Company Name:
Contact Name:
Title:
Phone Number (Office/Cell):
Email Address:
Office Mailing Address:
XML or JSON ??

Drew deCarvalho
510-732-7814  x1851

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 03:36:02 PM »

Wim

I called them and they emailed me a form with this request.  I assume you want xml?

Company Name:
Contact Name:
Title:
Email Address:
Office Mailing Address:
XML or JSON ??

Drew deCarvalho
510-732-7814  x1851
Yes, we need .xml for now. In future releases we can go to .json but for now lets change one thing at a time.

Wim

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 03:37:38 PM »

Wim

Company Name:
Contact Name:
Title:
Email Address:
Office Mailing Address:
XML or JSON ??

Drew deCarvalho
510-732-7814  x1851
Yes, we need .xml for now. In future releases we can go to .json but for now lets change one thing at a time.

Wim

I sent in what this person required.   So right now I  will have to wait for a reply  for that information....  I can PM you   what I find
or not

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 07:47:52 PM »

Wim

Company Name:
Contact Name:
Title:
Email Address:
Office Mailing Address:
XML or JSON ??

Drew deCarvalho
510-732-7814  x1851

Wim

I sent in what this person required.   So right now I  will have to wait for a reply  for that information....  I can PM you   what I find
or not

I have the information you need. I am going to send you a pm here and an email as well

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 04:15:10 AM »

. . . shortened . . .

I have the information you need. I am going to send you a pm here and an email as well
OK the information consists of:
The most important remark in the Davis mail:
We ask that you query no station any faster than once every 10 minutes.
This is not in compliance with the on-going discussions about accessing your own data where Davis promised to let station owners access their data more frequently.
  • no station ? We , the owners of a WLIP, are only accessing our own stations data, not a large group of other owners stations
  • IMHO once every 10 minutes is far to long apart and Davis normally gets our current data at 1 minute intervals
If you not agree with this 10 minute limit (for only one station) you should contact them again so that they set a faster access for your token. My English is not good enough to continue the discussions with them, Ken True is still in contact with them.

But if it is acceptable to you to have your weather-data refreshed on your website every 9- 11 minutes, we can change the script and use this new API to test with.

First:
1. Make a screenshot (and save it) of your current weather-values at your history website page to compare if v2 shows reasonable values also

Continue with:
2. Check your wsUserSetings and modify / add the extra fields.
Code: [Select]
# Extra settings for your weather-program
$SITE["wlink_key"]      = "this is the key to access your v1 Blue page at weatherlink.com v1, not yet usable for v2";
$SITE["wlink_pw"]       = "this is the password for your v2 account";
$SITE["wlink_api"]      = "this is the token: the long string of characters";
$SITE["wlink_did"]      = "this is the DID, use the one for v2";

3. Make a copy/backup of your current xml-retrieval script weather28/scriptsDW/tagsWLCOM.php 

4. unzip attached tagsWLCOM.php   script and replace the current one.

Within 5 minutes the weather-values on your site should change. You can then compare the history page with your screenshot.

And then:
We then should test with the v1 WLIP you have. The API-token is the same for all WLIP's you can access, but the password and DID should be changed in the wsUserSettings. I do not expect any problems with that as my own weatherlink.com v1 test-site is running OK.

Succes, and thank you for testing this for all other users who will face the same problem when their v1 access is replaced with a more difficult v2 access.

Wim

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 08:23:33 AM »
I will ask Davis if they could make the interval shorter than 10 min.  I thought it was too long as well.   the only thought i had was that their server can't take the load.  However I will do it.   The other modifications...  I thought that you needed the key and the other information for your testing.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 08:31:25 AM »
I will ask Davis if they could make the interval shorter than 10 min.  I thought it was too long as well.   the only thought i had was that their server can't take the load.  However I will do it.   The other modifications...  I thought that you needed the key and the other information for your testing.
With one api-token you may access thousands of WLIP/wl.comv2 users. They have no problem with that.
But you may not access any station faster than once every 10 minutes.

So it is definitely NOT the load they are afraid of.
They do not want you to hand-over the "realtime / current" weather conditions.
The WLIP can upload your weather-data once a minute, but you are only allowed to use your own v2 data once /  10 minutes.
And with 10 minute old data it is really not current or realtime anymore.

Wim

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 08:34:18 AM »
I sent an email  and I will call them as well.
I am not going to make modifications on my site until the data access question is resolved.  I'll let you know how that plays out.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 10:24:09 AM »
Wim
   I sent you a PM on this site,  I am having trouble making the changes to the script work

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 11:12:12 AM »
I can't get it to work
$SITE["wlink_key"]      = “http://api.weatherlink.com/v1/NoaaExt.xmluser=001D0A00F0BF&pass=oldfart&apiToken=9c64d7f58f9c4426a11a7c78e941968d”;
$SITE["wlink_pw"]       = “oldfart”;
$SITE["wlink_api"]       =“9c64d7f58f9c4426a11a7c78e941968d”;
$SITE["wlink_did"]      = “001D0A00F0BF”;
#

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »
Sorry that I could not be back earlier, but your latest decision on this was:
I am not going to make modifications on my site until the data access question is resolved.  I'll let you know how that plays out.
Otherwise I had told you i was not available this afternoon in CET time

$SITE["wlink_key"]      = “http://api.weatherlink.com/v1/NoaaExt.xmluser=001D0A00F0BF&pass=oldfart&apiToken=9c64d7f58f9c4426a11a7c78e941968d”;

It should stay the same as it was before , so if it was "My name"
$SITE["wlink_key"]      = "My name";

The first two lines remane the same as before  for v1, NO changes please

The last two lines are the new fields introduced  for v2
$SITE["wlink_api"]       =“9c64d7f58f9c4426a11a7c78e941968d”;
$SITE["wlink_did"]      = “001D0A00F0BF”;

And it should be REAL quotes, not the "curly" ones as in a text document.
Check    "wlink_did"  and “001D0A00F0BF”
The ones around the value 001D0A00F0BF are the wrong ones, the ones around the name wlink_did  are the correct ones.

Excuse my english but the " character  should be like ||    not like \\ or //
In your post it look like you are using the other type of quotes. A friendly native english person will probably post the correct name for the "not vertical" ones.

Wim

Copy these two lines and try again:
The last two lines are the new fields introduced  for v2
$SITE["wlink_api"]       ="9c64d7f58f9c4426a11a7c78e941968d";
$SITE["wlink_did"]      = "001D0A00F0BF";
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:35:39 PM by wvdkuil »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
If I put in the last two lines,  the result is a blank page.  If I remove those last two lines I get the page back.  Something doesn't like those two lines.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
If I put in the last two lines,  the result is a blank page.  If I remove those last two lines I get the page back.  Something doesn't like those two lines.
check my previous post, about quotes

Wim

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 01:42:54 PM »
check my previous post, about quotes

Wim

It is operational. 
I did send an email to Davis about a 60 second update and have not heard from them since.   So we wait.

the sandbox version is :  http://www.desmoinesweather.org/weather28.old/

thank you ,  i left out  the ;    and I also downloaded the file and replaced the "   with the one's that the text editor used.     

So now we wait I guesss and see how the sandbox version does.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 03:34:32 PM »
so far the sandbox version is working.   I won't change over to the main site until we get a ruling on the 10 minute polling interval.   the sandbox isn't exactly the same as the main one, but still template 28

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 03:48:35 PM »
so far the sandbox version is working.   I won't change over to the main site until we get a ruling on the 10 minute polling interval.   the sandbox isn't exactly the same as the main one, but still template 28
The small differences can be explained by the different times the data is loaded. A few minutes difference gives a different solar reading, windspeed a.s.o.
The min-max values are more important as they should be the same.

The "10 minute polling interval" is  only a theoretical discussion point.
If it remains you still have to switch to v2 in the coming months when they move your v1 WLIP to the v2 site.

Do not forget to set a yesterday cron job for the test site also. Otherwise the yesterday values will not be the same.

Will check your two sites tomorrow-morning my time,
Wim

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »
[
If it remains you still have to switch to v2 in the coming months when they move your v1 WLIP to the v2 site.

Do not forget to set a yesterday cron job for the test site also. Otherwise the yesterday values will not be the same.

Will check your two sites tomorrow-morning my time,
Wim

I did  that.  my two sites, the desmoinesweather.org/weather28/  is running off of a  ip different logger  and goes to v1.    desmoinesweather.org/weather28.old/ is version 2 off of a different  ip logger.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »
so far the sandbox is working.  the difference is the history page between this one and the "real"  site.  Both have cron jobs going and they are working.  The difference is the same for the WL2 version as the WL1 version.  On heat index and Wind Chill; humidity, dew point , barometer,wind  are the same for both versions. The values and the times are the same.

I updated everything on the test site as discussed.  When I compared both today  I noticed the similarities.. hence we test. 

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 05:32:46 PM »
Yup,   the weather history for both the WL 1.0 and 2.0 are identical.   I am thinking that maybe that information isn't sent and the yesterday and today values being the same for the other post are not generated by WL.

WL 1.0:    http://www.desmoinesweather.org/weather28/index.php?p=historyv3&lang=en#data-area

WL 2.0:    http://www.desmoinesweather.org/weather28.old/index.php?p=historyv3&lang=en#data-area
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:36:48 PM by Aardvark »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 04:17:18 PM »
My site is now running WL 2.0 IP.  http://desmoinesweather.org

I have also added pollen count. Wheee

Now I am debating moving the IP logger from the Envoy to the Console, but the jury is still out on the wisdom of that.  the only reason would be to change settings without having to go into the software.

anything