Author Topic: Rain Gauge not working  (Read 12728 times)

Offline willper

• Front Range Weather
Rain Gauge not working
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »
I noticed that when it started raining yesterday 04/08/09 that no rain is accumulating in VWS. If someone has had this problem, could you point me in the right direction for troubleshooting.

WMR 968
Windows Vista
VWS v14 p72

Offline unclemoosh

• Geaux Saints!
    • Frances' Weather
Re: Rain Gauge not working
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »
Does any rain register on the console?   Have you mad any adjustments to the rain data via Setting or Calibration?  On the Sensor Communiction screen are both boxes green for the rain gauge?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 03:42:20 PM by unclemoosh »

Offline willper

• Front Range Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 03:50:03 PM »
Rain does not register on the console. I made an adjustment to rain total for the day on 04-07 after I noticed that no rain was showing on the console or VWS. The adjustment did not register as my total rain still reads 19.69 inches.

This is a link to my website:

http://ophirgardensweather.com/

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 07:58:09 PM »
I had a similar problem with mine a couple of summers ago. The instrument did register on the console showing 0.00  not ---
What had happened in my case was a buildup of crap  near the tipping bucket bucket keeping it from actually tipping.
But I believe there could be a fault with the reed switch or magnet on the tipping bucket not working as they should. You might want to take it off line and make sure the tipping bucket does move past that it still could be the switch or the magnet not activating the switch.

Sorry I can't offer a definite fix :)

Keep us posted...

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 11:33:40 AM »
We had nearly an inch of rain yesterday and I noticed that neither of mine were reading right.  So, I went out this morning and looked inside them.  They both had dirt and pollen in the "buckets" which would be normal for this time of year.  The 2315 had a spider living in it,  8-[  and I think that the web had shorted out some of the circuits.  Anyways, I cleaned them out best I could and sprayed some bug spray on the inside of the covers (maybe this will deter residents).  I checked the level and they are both good on that count.  I reset both consoles.  Now the 968 is reading HHH and it's raining again.   ](*,)  I probably need to reset the transmitter.  I'll give this a shot when it quits raining.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 11:38:12 AM »
Just a hint, if you find that your hardware is failed, try a search on ebay for a replacement gauge.  I get a daily subscription email on wmr968 parts from ebay and there always seems to be a bargain for rain gauges.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 12:14:06 PM »
I probably need to reset the transmitter.  I'll give this a shot when it quits raining.

Resetting the transmitter didn't help (although it probably didn't hurt).  So, I took a glass of water out there and poured some through.  Wal-la!  it worked.  I saw a rain rate of 23 inches/hour, but it registered.  So when all else fails, pour water!   =D> \:D/
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 01:26:23 PM »
Greg,
I believe the HHH was caused by your cleaning.  You tipped the bucket so many times during this that the console could not calc.  HHH means out of range... as in raining to hard.   Time is the only way to get rid of this message.   Saw the same thing when I rewired my gauge, and when I installed my heater.

Andrew

Now the 968 is reading HHH and it's raining again.   ](*,)  I probably need to reset the transmitter.  I'll give this a shot when it quits raining.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 05:38:45 PM »
I probably need to reset the transmitter.  I'll give this a shot when it quits raining.

Resetting the transmitter didn't help (although it probably didn't hurt).  So, I took a glass of water out there and poured some through.  Wal-la!  it worked.  I saw a rain rate of 23 inches/hour, but it registered.  So when all else fails, pour water!   =D> \:D/

I would continue to test for a few weeks, with a small "dixie cup" of water this time.  Just to be sure.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
I would continue to test for a few weeks, with a small "dixie cup" of water this time.  Just to be sure.

All our glasses and cups are Dixie Cups!   :::humming  Look away...look away....look away....Dixie Land:::::

:grin:

Seriously, I do have the 2315 and the CoCoRaHS gauges to compare it to.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:43:29 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA