Author Topic: Recommendations Needed  (Read 10739 times)

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
Recommendations Needed
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
Hey fellas:  I have a Davis Pro2 wireless station with WLIP. It is connected via ethernet cable to a linksys router (which is connected to a separate netgear DSL modem).  I run VWS and Weatherlink software on my pc, which is usually turned off for 3-4 days each week.  I am interested in a lightning detector, but do not want to spend $1200 for one.  I am not a storm chaser and will not need a portable unit.  I live in a very rural area and my neighbors view my WU site daily and have been asking me about the lightning strike data, as cattle and lightning do not mix well.  Local WX channels do not give us cattle ranchers much information in our area as far as lightning goes, so your comments as far as detection equipment/software is definately appreciated. Can you recommend a fairly inexpensive route for me?  Thanks
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:17:00 PM by wmcatty »
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
Re: Recommendations Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »
"Can you recommend a fairly inexpensive route for me?"
NO.

Try: http://www.aninoquisi.com/sales.htm

$650 Bundle - everything you need.

FWIW

George

PS You WILL need to run your PC 24/7 for this to work.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:38:04 AM by George Richardson »

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:44:36 PM »
I have been saving my nickels and dimes and will be buying one soon.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:55:29 PM »
I appreciate the link George.
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 01:09:50 PM »
All I can say is what is the value of the data to replacing what is destory vesus what is the cost of  getting the data. Generally the  cost of the new item is lesser. As Al Estep mention in another post. I know I will be writing an check to get one for up in the interior so I can have some warning that the wife can let me know that storm is coming so I can get out of the water and get stuff secured.

John

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 08:24:34 PM »
Stay warm Scalphunter, as it is a balmy 67 degrees here in Central Texas today...and suppose to get up to 74 this weekend.  I used to live in Juneau many years ago, so I feel your pain.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 11:31:49 PM »
The choice for many is the Boltek PCI with Nextstorm since Lightning2K didn't have FTP capabilities for the longest. There is also a lot of scripts written around Nexstorm with it's tracreport.txt file. But now though L2K has the ability to FTP and is a much more accurate IMO. But like was mentioned it would need to be on 24/7 unless you got the LD-250 which is the portable model but you can use it in a fixed situation. There really isn't much alternatives.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »
"The choice for many is the Boltek PCI with Nextstorm since Lightning2K didn't have FTP capabilities for the longest"

WOW, that's interesting. I always thought it was because Nextstorm was cheaper. I just checked Lightning 2K's History (http://www.aninoquisi.com/history.htm) and see "v3.1.0, July 7, 2003 - automatic FTP of screen capture is now built-in". I cannot find a history for Nextstorm so I can't compare a timeline.

FWIW, the last time I checked. a complete package of Boltek PCI, software, and maps, is cheaper from L2K.

"But now though L2K . . . . is a much more accurate IMO". There are many that agree with this statement.

George

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
"The choice for many is the Boltek PCI with Nextstorm since Lightning2K didn't have FTP capabilities for the longest"

WOW, that's interesting. I always thought it was because Nextstorm was cheaper. I just checked Lightning 2K's History (http://www.aninoquisi.com/history.htm) and see "v3.1.0, July 7, 2003 - automatic FTP of screen capture is now built-in". I cannot find a history for Nextstorm so I can't compare a timeline.

For single screen shot images yes, not data files. That wasn't introduced until 2010 as well as the ability for png support

FWIW, the last time I checked. a complete package of Boltek PCI, software, and maps, is cheaper from L2K.

"But now though L2K . . . . is a much more accurate IMO". There are many that agree with this statement.

George

True it is cheaper, but look at the next statement. You get what you pay for and it's all in personal preference and what you can afford. Nothing wrong with Nexstorm it's a good program, IMO L2K is better and seems to have evolved a lot faster with more features. Nexstorm does take a little more time to tweek and fine tune. Out of the box L2K is a lot more accurate.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:28:54 PM »
So what is the consensus boys?  Is the Boltek the only way to go for the bucks involved?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
So what is the consensus boys?  Is the Boltek the only way to go for the bucks involved?

I can't "compare" - I purchased the Boltek PCI, several years ago (2006).  It has worked reliably, been moved once (NM to MO), and I'm quite content with it.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 10:34:10 PM »
I purchased my Boltek in 2005 and it has been great. No problems since I've had it.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 06:44:43 AM »
I think a Boltek PCI would be a nice addition to your setup. I would also consider as a add-on (and or an instead-of) GR level 3. 

Gr level 3 in itself is very cool for watching what is approaching your location. You can mark your home with an icon.   After the honeymoon with my Boltek was over, I found I used gr3 even more with an approaching storm.  I dont have the add-on's but you can get lightning data placefile packages from  Allisonhouse and Michiganwxsystem.  Those are subscriptions though, so you keep paying in perpetuity, but the Gr3 is a one time investment.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 08:49:39 PM »
Pardon my newness, but I cannot find what GR, Level 3 refers to.  Can someone expand for me?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »
Its software that processes live NEXRAD Level III data from the NWS Radar Product Central Collection Dissemination Service.

Here is the topic on wxforum that talks about it.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=74.0

You can use it to see what's coming your way, or use it to watch storms track across other parts of the US.

Andrew

Pardon my newness, but I cannot find what GR, Level 3 refers to.  Can someone expand for me?

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 03:34:32 PM »

How is this project coming along?

Offline meteolarissa

• Personal weather station in North Greece
    • Current Weather in Larissa , Greece
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »
Hello from Greece , some thousand miles away from USA... :grin:

Generally in my country there are about 6-7 Boltek detectors and most of them use Nexstorm and one LK2000.

I m owner too of a LD250 but i hadnt the opportunity to work it live and continiously. I read some very useful posts here before some years and now i read some more. Im very close to buy software and put the machine on fire 24/7  =D>

Im fan of accurancy and not for the adds-on and luxurious maps etc... I think that most of you believe inside and outside that LK2000 is better at accurancy and technical analysis of lightnings. I want ask what IMO is cuz im not familiar to it and if really LK2000 has some improvements to last versions?

Finally i think FTP to lk2000 that you mentioned is the ability to upload map/data on net through the programme and not with third party software(ftp client).

Anyone can give the last 2014 reviews of 2 softwares would be appreciated :-)

Vassilis
MeteoLarissa PWS,Thessalia,Greece.VP2 6153 with Heater and Solar Sensor.Camera Creative Live+ Logitech pro9000+ +Weatherlink+WD10.37+VWS+VP+Wxsolution++++ etc

Offline flc85

• Météo Fontenay
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
And why not a Blitzortung system?
No computer required with the RED system

www.blitzortung.org
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:03:58 PM by flc85 »
Fontenay le Comte West France
Vantage Pro2 WL,WD,VVP,WXSIM
Blitzortung station id:559
French Blitzortung forum: www.blitzortung.fr

Offline meteolarissa

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 08:31:43 AM »
No i don't know about connections of wires and all other stuff.

I have my Boltek waiting some years off so its time to start working :-)

Any news/reviews from people who working both Lk2000 and Nexstorm are welcome...

MeteoLarissa PWS,Thessalia,Greece.VP2 6153 with Heater and Solar Sensor.Camera Creative Live+ Logitech pro9000+ +Weatherlink+WD10.37+VWS+VP+Wxsolution++++ etc

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 11:06:26 AM »
And why not a Blitzortung system?
No computer required with the RED system

www.blitzortung.org
Blitzortung is not a 'standalone'. It is a network. Remember that the 'local' blitzortung receiver may go into 'saturation' with nearby activity and, therefore, not register. Blitzortung locates by utilizing a minimum of 4 stations in a network,... we utilize the network to see our 'nearbys' rather than our own receiver.
Which is one big reason for interested folks to get on board... the US has only about 35 stations on the net right now. Join us!

There is a 'third party' plug-in hardware many  'Blitzors' are 'testing' for local activity, that is not part of the system but that is way off topic for this thread.
Mike

Offline meteolarissa

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
So no more feed for the 2 software comparison...Thank u guys for infos  :-)
I think im ready to build new exclusive pc for weather, soon...And my lighting detector with l2k software

I cross my finger i choose the right software for my city!!!

Vassilis,

Larisa , Greece

anything