What's the best station to buy ?

VP2 with FARS
13 (72.2%)
Any other Davis
5 (27.8%)
Oregon
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Best affordable weather station is Davis VP2 with fan aspirated radiation shield  (Read 5196 times)

Offline luisfrps

I have been a weather geek for more than 20 years now, always measuring the temperature outside my house in the most diverse ways.
I have learnt a lot with it. I can tell you for sure.

The most accurate weather station from Davis is the Vantage Pro2 with fan aspirated radiation shield. I have 2 of those and I am completely satisfied with the accuracy. I have tried the Vantage Vue and I can tell you it is very wrong as far as temperature is concerned because it does not have the fan inside the radiation shield.
It registers up to 4C more than it really is during hot summer afternoons. That's disappointing after paying some hundreds for a weather station.

If you want to get accurate high temperatures in hot weather consider a Davis station with fan aspirated radiation shield. The fan aspirated radiation shield is a must. A Davis station without fan is not good enough. Believe me.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
A Davis station without a fan is good enough. Believe me.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
You don't need to spend extra on the fan to get accurate readings. If the fan were the only way to get accurate readings, they would be standard on every station probably. I love Davis. Just got my VP2 back in February. She's awesome. Although I am one of the few that's actually had good luck with Oregon Scientific as well, My WMR100A, nearly 4 years old, survived being dropped 14 Ft top side down (battery changing accident. Still works today. still accurate. I got my Vantage Pro2 because after 4 years with my WMR100, I'm not predicting it will last much longer. Of course I hope my predictions are wrong because the OS is a good station. But not as good as Davis. Lacrosse would be a great candidate for worst stations. But if you ask me, Davis is your best bet.

Also; Sunfish is right. In arid conditions where standing air heats up quickly, the fan helps move that air around. In areas where the 100 Ft of pavement rule is imposable, it helps. My station faces this but the temperature is accurate. However one thing about the Davis VP2, unless you want to separate the thermo/hygro (NWS specs 5 Ft off ground) from the rain gauge (NWS specs 2 Ft off the ground) you have to compromise. I have mine mounted 10 Ft off the ground, about 18 inches off the fence. Mine uses the standard radiation shield. There might be some slight heat issues. But the ISS gets some good wind where it is that makes up for it not having the fan. However can't it helps the rain gauge very much.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:29:06 PM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline NickelPlate

I have been a weather geek for more than 20 years now, always measuring the temperature outside my house in the most diverse ways.

The most accurate weather station from Davis is the Vantage Pro2 with fan aspirated radiation shield. I have 2 of those and I am completely satisfied with the accuracy. I have tried the Vantage Vue and I can tell you it is very wrong as far as temperature is concerned because it does not have the fan inside the radiation shield.
It registers up to 4C more than it really is during hot summer afternoons. That's disappointing after paying some hundreds for a weather station.

If you want to get accurate high temperatures in hot weather consider a Davis station with fan aspirated radiation shield. The fan aspirated radiation shield is a must. A Davis station without fan is not good enough. Believe me.

This is a joke, right?

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather

This is a joke, right?

maybe it's the C to F conversion thing.   :-k
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything