Author Topic: 5.8 quake in Cayman Islands  (Read 6548 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
5.8 quake in Cayman Islands
« on: January 19, 2010, 09:51:39 AM »
south of cuba, west of jamaica

map
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: 5.8 quake in Cayman Islands
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:59:15 AM »
Remote aftershock on the same fault?  Or something different?

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »

They're saying it's a different fault, but it's at the same depth (10km).  They're not sure if it's the same plate or not.  I'm sure it's kind of related, because if you push on one place, it's  gonna affect somewhere else close.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 10:04:09 AM »
How does that play out with Guatemala a few days ago?

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 10:28:16 AM »
I was in Aruba during the Haiti quake.  The next morning around the pool/beach people talking about an 4.? aftershock that hit the island around 4am.  I admit something woke us up that night, cant recall what time but thought it was closer to 3am, I dont know what it was, not sure about shaking, but enough to wake us both up at same time. Assumed it was just one of those occasionally unexplained hotel type noises.

This "ireporter" claims it was "confermed" but I have not been able to verify anywhere...
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-381561

Next day, nothing on USGS site.  but I dont know how far out their "within the United States and adjacent areas" 2.5 vs 4.5 magnitude tolerance for rest of world extends out.

norther Venezuela did have a 5.6 on Jan 15th

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 03:17:19 PM »
    It seems like there are quakes happenning all over the place.  It is kind of scary.
Even though the media is always talking about the San Andreas fault, I am more worried about the New Madrid fault in the area of Tennessee. There were three big quakes along this fault in the early 1800's.
     16 Dec 1811   Northeast Arkansas
     23 Jan 1812   New Madrid Missouri   mag 7.0 - 7.8
      7  Feb 1812   New Madrid Missouri  mag 7.4 - 8.0 :shock:

This area was sparsely populated at the time.  If a quake of this intensities occurs again there will be a catastrophe!!!
EDIT:  I checked the USGS site and it showed 3 small quakes in the area on the 19th
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:41:28 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:33:13 PM »
   It seems like there are quakes happenning all over the place.  It is kind of scary.

There are some that think that increasing number of earthquakes in diverse places are fulfillment of prophesy.

Even though the media is always talking about the San Andreas fault, I am more worried about the New Madrid fault in the area of Tennessee. There were three big quakes along this fault in the early 1800's.
     16 Dec 1811   Northeast Arkansas
     23 Jan 1812   New Madrid Missouri   mag 7.0 - 7.8
      7  Feb 1812   New Madrid Missouri  mag 7.4 - 8.0 :shock:

This area was sparsely populated at the time.  If a quake of this intensities occurs again there will be a catastrophe!!!
EDIT:  I checked the USGS site and it showed 3 small quakes in the area on the 19th

Little quakes relive pressure and are a good thing.  If the New Madrid fault does what the fault did in Haiti, then Memphis, St. Louis, and who knows where else will be in serious trouble.  An earthquake in the 1800s there did cause the Mississippi to run backwards.   :shock:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:49:55 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »

They're saying it's a different fault, but it's at the same depth (10km).  They're not sure if it's the same plate or not.  I'm sure it's kind of related, because if you push on one place, it's  gonna affect somewhere else close.

I've always felt that with enough repetitive energy in one general location, there will be a reaction somewhere along the other end of that plate or the next. Depending on direction and fault type.

During and after all those quakes in the South Pacific last year, I was looking at a global fault map of plate movements that had direction and speed arrows on it. Somehow I came up with the idea that there would be one somewhere in the Paki-Afghan area within a couple of weeks as a result. Sure as Sh__ - there was one.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 09:47:19 PM »
There you go, a job using your talents that you don't see everyday, a seismic forecaster.  ;)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 09:56:59 PM »
Yes. My neighbor thinks I'm supernatural. Between that quake prediction and me getting cable, I really have them scratching their heads. They begged for 7 years to have cable run out to this edge of town. I got it done in 3 months.

I need a dog tooth necklace, a straw skirt and some face-paint...   

Well, I stand up next to a mountain
And I chop it down with the edge of my hand
Well, I pick up all the pieces and make an island
Might even raise a little sand

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Aquatic

• Forecaster
    • http://skofjaloka-trnje.zevs.si
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 01:54:05 AM »
On date 8. of January there was quake in Slovenia near Postojna town. Magnitude was 3.8 it is not much, but the ground are shakeing since that date. Interesting.
Davis Vantage Pro2
Slovenia, Europe

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 01:55:43 AM »
 :lol: in all seriousness These quakes are very scary In some ways deadlier then most natural diesasters, especially due to no forecasting for them for the most part. No warning = greater casulties very bad news from Haiti..

Yes. My neighbor thinks I'm supernatural. Between that quake prediction and me getting cable, I really have them scratching their heads. They begged for 7 years to have cable run out to this edge of town. I got it done in 3 months.

I need a dog tooth necklace, a straw skirt and some face-paint...   

Well, I stand up next to a mountain
And I chop it down with the edge of my hand
Well, I pick up all the pieces and make an island
Might even raise a little sand

VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php

Offline upweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 01:58:53 AM »
Wow allot of movement going on right now even in Europe :shock:, I know they have been talking about the big one san francisco for years, hope for their sake and this country that it does not happen.

On date 8. of January there was quake in Slovenia near Postojna town. Magnitude was 3.8 it is not much, but the ground are shakeing since that date. Interesting.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 04:11:16 AM »
:lol: in all seriousness These quakes are very scary In some ways deadlier then most natural diesasters, especially due to no forecasting for them for the most part. No warning = greater casulties very bad news from Haiti..

By no means am I trying to minimize the impact of the devasting effects of quakes.

I do think that predictions are a reality except for that time factor thing. It won't help if they are off by "only" a month or so - a geological blink of the eye.

With all the geo-services available to track and measure all the plates - major and minor - in their directions and speeds, the application of historical physics and current modeling techniques, it amazes me how these things can still creep up out of the blue.

Even with some degree of accuracy, I think there are some countries - like Haiti - where it wouldn't matter.

I remember the Northridge CA quake. I was living in Vegas at the time. The hotel pool had white caps from it, the chandeliers in the restaurant were swinging. Pretty wild and that was almost 300 miles away. Seeing that destruction on the news was mind blowing.

I could never imagine actually being in an earthquake. You don't know when it'll end or how intense it'll get. Tornadoes and the like, you can see one way or the other. Earthquakes? They're just there when they want to be and it's got to be a very terrifying moment.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 05:01:19 AM »
I've never experienced an earthquake until I moved over here permanently. Last year while in the hospital (minor) with an I.V. stuck in my arm, a 3.2 centered up in China was felt down through Chiang Mai and on down to Bangkok. I was on the 10th floor and my gurney was rolling back and forth with the I.V. swinging. Talk about freaking out. My wife was on her way to the mini-mart, halfway down the 10 floors on the elevator, when it hit. She and the others on the elevator freaked out as well. Eerie feeling. Also had a smaller 2.8 just a couple of miles north of here gave me a shove in this chair.

Offline Aquatic

• Forecaster
    • http://skofjaloka-trnje.zevs.si
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 08:09:33 AM »
A strong aftershock rocked Haiti this morning, rattling people struggling to recover from last week's devastating tremor. Today's 6.1-magnitude aftershock struck just as much-needed medical aid was set to arrive.

Source: CNN
Davis Vantage Pro2
Slovenia, Europe

Offline upweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 11:40:44 AM »
I just heard, that is not good for them, I'm wondering if it was in a more rural area?

anything