Author Topic: "Phantom" icons in My Backyard Weather  (Read 2911 times)

Offline jfp51

"Phantom" icons in My Backyard Weather
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »
Hello,

I have just purchased the 1035 5-1 Station at Costco, having fun so far and the unit has started its learning mode.

I have setup my bridge and receive good data from all sensors on the MBW web page so everything seems to be working properly. I even tried the weather underground integration and that worked as well so it seems my basic setup is sound.

Few questions:

1) Should the MBW web page auto-refresh or is it normal to have to refresh manually? Would be nice to have an auto-refresh option on the page
2) I have "phantom" 5-in-1 sensor icons that appear sometimes on the page showing the no wireless connection icon, and then there is an additional 5-in-1 sensors listed in the manage sensors page, once again with the no wireless connection icon. The "real" bridge and 5-in-1 sensors are still correctly listed and function normally. If I delete one of the phantom icons, they all dissapear but the phantom sensor stays on the manage sensors page. Any ideas?
3) The hi and low temperatures get corrupted with what looks like a unit problem. I am in celsius and after a while, the hi temperature will read in the 60-70's on the web page, data on the bridge seems OK.

Thanks for your time, I am sure I will have other questions in the future.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Re: "Phantom" icons in My Backyard Weather
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »
Good to Hear you are having fun- it's a system with allot of details- it should serve a purpose and of course, be kinda fun for us weather folks :grin:

I will try and answer all of your questions- let me know if I miss the point, been a long morning already #-o
1) It does not auto refresh, as this data is accessed from our server. You can imagine the "stampede" effect on the servers if somehow all of the pages refresh times synced up! There are several plugins available for browsers that will give you an auto refresh option though.

2)You may be picking up another 5n1 sensor in the area? Officially these 5n1 sensors have a 330ft range, but depending on the geographic location and other variables they can go further- so it's possible you may be intermittently picking up another 5N1. The other explanation could be if you changed the ABC switch during operation on the 5N1 sensor, that could create a new ID during broadcast that would make the bridge think there are 2 5N1 sensors, and that one of them (the original ABC selection) is now "out of range". As long as you delete it from your sources list on the website and hide it from view on the app you should be OK either way.

3)Make sure you have the latest firmware, log into the bridge on you network and make sure it is firmware version 112. If it is older firmware it may have translation issues with ºC. The bridge will periodically check for new firmware, but sometimes it will get interrupted or something. So If you have an older version of firmware, try doing a power reset on the bridge (push AND HOLD the register button for at least 15 seconds, then let go and it will reset and reboot) and it will look for firmware after bootup. One status light will be steady and the other one flickering very rapidly if it is doing a firmware download, it will also say "downloading firmware" when you try to log into the bridge. This may take up to a half hour or so to be safe- so try not to interrupt it.

Thanks!

Offline jfp51

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 01:17:29 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply! Only question I have left is how do I access the bridge since it is connected to my computer via USB? I looked for the MAC address listed on my bridge on my router but did not see it. Is there a different procedure to check the firmware for bridges that are not directly plugged into a router? Am I correct in assuming that the bridge for my unit is the display with all the weather data on it? I do not seem to have a register button, the only buttons are the ones to scroll through the data on the front of the unit and "clear today" and "clear all" in the back.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 01:20:04 PM by jfp51 »

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »
My bad- I got model # confusion. You are correct, you do not have the bridge hardware, you have the PC connectivity software bridge option. No register button on the hardware.

1.) still applies, a plugin can auto refresh the website.
2.) still applies, delete the unwanted 5n1 from the sources list
3.) Make sure that the PC connect software has the correct units selected (in your case- ºC)

Offline jfp51

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:33:11 PM »
Just for completeness, the PC-Connect has units in Celsius as well, using mode 3

anything